SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your opinion on the 850 compared to the 240?<p>Except for it being more car and the 240 being kinda basic, how does it hold up in regards to reliability, longevity, maintenance?<p>I am looking for a 91-93 245 but noticed that the 95-97 850s have dropped into my price range, and they are quite nice.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Re: 850 vs. 240 (dagnelson)

As far as reliability and stuff, I rate them about the same. Both have the annoying problems native to Volvos, both have really solid motors and construction. <p>The 240s are somewhat less vulnerable, as they were built at the end of a build cycle of more than 20 years. But it is an old car and drives like one. 850s have newer design flaws. The really critical factor is the previous matainence. <p>If the 850 didn't get the tranny fluid flushed, trannys may fail. If the car was run without a pollen filter, AC can be a problem. The OEM sway bar links are just crap, but better ones are available.<p>Good luck.<p>Even with the known problems, I still think the 850 is a helluva car.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Re: 850 vs. 240 (Stormin Norman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Stormin Norman</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As far as reliability and stuff, I rate them about the same. Both have the annoying problems native to Volvos, both have really solid motors and construction. <p>The 240s are somewhat less vulnerable, as they were built at the end of a build cycle of more than 20 years. But it is an old car and drives like one. 850s have newer design flaws. The really critical factor is the previous matainence. <p>If the 850 didn't get the tranny fluid flushed, trannys may fail. If the car was run without a pollen filter, AC can be a problem. The OEM sway bar links are just crap, but better ones are available.<p>Good luck.<p>Even with the known problems, I still think the 850 is a helluva car.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>couldn't have said it better myself. Atleast 850's dont have the self destructing wiring harness' that 240's have.<p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts