SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I be aware of or know before I purchase a sway bar off of a sedan for my 850 wagon? I know there are a couple different ones. What is the best?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: 850 sway bar on 855 (code-man850)

850R rear swaybars are .5" larger. But thats hard to find. a regular sedan swaybar is better then none. mine broke and it cornerd poorly till i fixed it.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: 850 sway bar on 855 (code-man850)

If you got the bucks go with IPD sways. They are 1 million times better and way, way, way worth the price. Plus swapping out the front sway is no basic task so why put something in there that's worth it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: (fcpgroton)

850 wagons already have the mounting hardware stock, even though they do not come with rear bars. You just need the right sizes of bolts and it will drop right on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: (mbsl98)

I know next to nothing about the interchangeability between Volvo models. I want to add a rear bar to my wagon but I do not want to pay the big money for an IPD set. So I'm looking at this<p><A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150370539266&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1041wt_1157" TARGET="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors..._1157</A><p>Will it work for a '97 850 wagon?<p>That rear bar in the photo looks odd. Looks more like a panhard bar rather than a true anti-roll bar. What's the deal?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
That's the right bar. <p>But reall, for the work to swap bars, just keeping saying up for a set from iPd. Stock are bars are hollow and are known to rust.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: (Wagoneer)

I've read the tech procedure for the front bar and really don't want to do that job. But how hard is it to add a rear bar? I plan to replace the shocks and mounts back there soon, is it something I can easily tack on to that project or is it a whole different animal?<p>Hollow-vs-solid is almost as old of a debate as sway bars themselves. There are pros and cons to both sides.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, this thread is full of conjecture!<p>IPD are better without a doubt.<p>If you don't want to spend that cash, the front T5 sway bar should be the same for all years. The R sway bars are a little bigger and the IPD is bigger yet but it is not 0.5" bigger. I think it is like 3mm thicker (22 vs 25).<p>A standard T5 wagon can come with or without a rear sway bay. The basic mounts are there either way but NOT the bolts. The Rear Sway Bar does look more like a panhard bar and either bolts in with 3 or 4 bolts with nuts, can't remember. That auction looks fine but I don't think the front bar will do you any good....<p>As for years, 1994-1998 should be interchangeable, not sure about 99-00

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: (HayaCruza)

No, I don't think the front bar in the ad is worth the effort. But that's OK, I just want to add a rear bar to my car.<p>I may be new to Volvos but I've been tuning suspension for autocross for 12 years. I'm not going to get into a p!ssing match over what bars are the best, brand or design or otherwise. I just wanted to know if the rear bar in the ad above will fit my 855. And if so, if anyone could tell me what kind of time and effort I might expect to have to put into it.<br>

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Re: (RexSpeed)

In my opinion, the front bar greatly reduces body lean, but makes the car understeer. <p>I run a custom iPd 25mm rear bar and stock front. Balance is perfect. <p>And remember, it's not all about size. iPd bars are solid not hollow like the stock bars, that makes all the difference.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 25mm rear bar was a special production run.<p>The rear sway on a wagon should take about an hour to install if the suspension is not tweeked.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>HayaCruza</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The 25mm rear bar was a special production run.<p>The rear sway on a wagon should take about an hour to install if the suspension is not tweeked.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Longer if you have a larger exhaust than stock. it's a tight squeeze on the left side. I had to take my cat-back apart to get the bar in. Added about 20min to the job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: (Wagoneer)

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I've decided to let the auction for the OEM bars to slide by. Too many other projects that the car needs right now; what I want can wait.

·
Banned
1,698 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sure do. $199 just for the 22mm rear bar. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Awesome. This is what I will do with the wagon then. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts