SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

850 Recall Notice

55K views 73 replies 52 participants last post by  SolamenteDave 
#1 ·
Recently Swedespeed was contacted by Volvo to help get the word out about an 850 recall. Apparently, response to their notification hasn't been all that strong, and Volvo is trying to take further measures to make sure the notice gets in front of 850 owners' eyes.

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

The reason for this campaign:

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC (Volvo) has decided that a defect related to motor vehicle safety exists in certain model year 1994-1997 Volvo 850 vehicles.

In certain cases, after prolonged exposure to extreme heat, the fuel tank may develop seepage at the heat shield attachment. This is because the heat shield attachment locations may not meet certain Volvo specifications. When this occurs, a fuel odor may be present. Fuel seepage in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire.

Corrective Action:

Your Volvo retailer will inspect the vehicle's fuel tank for fuel seepage or cracks at the heat shield attachment points. The fuel tank will be replaced if any seepage or a crack is found. To prevent future occurrence of fuel seepage, your Volvo retailer will install a bushing to each of the heat shield attachments on the fuel tank.

What you need to do:

As with any combustible fluid, a fuel leak can be very dangerous when in contact with an ignition source. Given the nature of this defect, we strongly advise contacting an authorized Volvo retailer and having this recall performed as soon as possible. This inspection will be completed at no cost and will take approximately one hour. In rare cases more time may be needed. Due to service scheduling, your Volvo retailer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time.

If you previously paid to have your fuel tank repaired or replaced to address the problem covered by this recall, Volvo will honor your receipt with a refund. Please contact your Volvo retailer for details.

Please contact:

If you have any questions, please contact your Volvo retailer. If your retailer is unable to answer your questions, please contact Volvo Customer Care at 7 Volvo Drive Rockleigh, New Jersey 07647 or phone 1-800-458-1552, Monday through Friday, 8:30 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Eastern Time. You may also e-mail us at customercare@volvocars.com.

We have advised the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that we are conducting this recall. If you are unable to have this procedure performed without charge and within a reasonable period of time, you may contact the NHTSA Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 or write to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street SW, Washington, DC 20590.

Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days. Lessor means a person or entity that is the owner, as reflected on the vehicle title, of any five or more leased vehicles.

Your safety and continued satisfaction with your Volvo and the Volvo organization are very important to us. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we appreciate your cooperation in arranging to have this important service completed as quickly as possible.

Please note: According to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety President Brian O'Neill, "It is very important that owners of vehicles in which safety-related problems have been identified take those vehicles back to dealerships as soon as they receive notice of a recall or service campaign. Such notices should not be ignored or taken lightly. There is just no reason to drive around in a vehicle with a safety-related defect."

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 850 Recall Notice (George@Swedespeed)

I definately will be going to my dealer in the near future to have my tank checked out. Thanks for the info. It's weird I never received an official notice from VCA; I only heard about it on some forums.
BTW, does anyone know what color the 855 is at the top of the article?? I happen to saw an 854 last week in the same color and was under the impression the owner must have repainted it; now I see it's an OEM color! Looks like an early Saffron-like color to me in person. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#4 ·
Re: 850 Recall Notice (GT854T5)

Often with used cars, the manufacturer never knows you own it, and in most 850 situations, the owner is not the first. Especially if you didn't buy it from a Volvo dealer or service it at a dealer, you should call the Volvo 1800 number and register your name with your VIN so that they can send notices like that out to you.

As for the color. I don't know. It's a pic from Volvo's UK database, but I love the color.

#6 ·

We had ours inspected and fixed yesterday, about a 30-40 minute job. Without Swedespeed, we would have never known about the recall. We are the original owners, Volvo does have our address, but we never received any mailings about this. I wonder if Volvo subcontracts the mailings and the company didn't do their job properly? Weird.... Anyway, thanks Swedespeed!!!

#8 ·
We purchased our car used in 2001. Every time we filled the fuel tank full or allmost full the gasoline fumes were very strong in the garage the next day.
In Aug. 2003 our car had a fuel "seap". The puddle under the car was enough to call the fire department. They tried to locate the leak but determined that the leak was not coming from a visible crack in the tank. The car was pushed out from the garage by the fire department and towed to an independent Volvo repair shop.
We ended up having to replace the fuel tank, gaskets and shield. This was all done immediately ( $720.42 ). In the end of 2004, the service writer at the Volvo dealership informed us about the recall in regards to the heatshield/fueltank and advised us to contact Volvo custumer care for a refund. Volvo custumer care told us that the dealer was responsible for refunds...... Now Volvo custumer care wants us to "prove" that the leak was in relation to their recall. I'm so disappointed in Volvo custumer care right now and plan on taking this as far as I have to for reimbursement.

#9 ·
Re: (kickit66)

I think I would send a letter to the attorney general, the commisioner of motor vehicles, Institute for Highway Safety and the local newspaper; then I would send a letter to the Volvo (nice safe guys) people telling them you've sent letters to those other people about your problem with them. That might do the trick. The notice doesn't say anything about having to inspect and document a feul related problem prior to taking the car into the dealership for a recall repair. That is what you'd have to do to satify the Volvo people as you have discribed. Volvos problem is with there repair shop in that particular dealership. They've probably have been making alot of money changing out every feul tank they can get there hands on and headquarters is tired of it. I don't know whos problem it is; it shouldn't be yours.

Modified by DgesTradingPost at 8:50 AM 3-6-2005

#10 ·

As I read it Volvo will inspect the gas tank and heatsheild; then replace it as needed. So that would mean if it hasn't leaked yet and there is no sign of stress nothing will be done. To me that seems alot like teattering on a slippery slope for them. Is the design or excecution faulty or not? If I take it in and no problem is found have I wasted my time? Is it possible some are faulty and some are not? If so that would indicate a serious lack of consistancy in part quality. Besides; if there's any chance, at all of that tank leaking because of a defect I don't want it; I want it changed out. ............Another responder on this site, on this page; says they are getting dicked around about who pays , both by there dealer and by Volvo and they're down $800 or so. Volvo has put it on them to prove it was there defect and not taking a rock in the tank was the reason that necessaitated the need for tank repair. What about that. ...........I got a turbo wagon and things get alittle hot back there; do I have to wait till I get a leak to see if she'll blow up or not? What if I got stress cracks and have taken a rock also off the road?; do I get to pay? Will I be given the situation as to who pays and why; up front? Will I be given the right of refusal in any case.............What happens to Volvos safety claims when 850 with time start blowing up..........Thanks for the heads up. This has got me fighting mad, thanks for the heads up......

#11 ·
whoa dges, calm down. They will inspect and replace as needed, and if replacement is not needed, they will install a bushing of some sort so it never happens. And there is no inconsistency - hot climates where temperature cycling is more extrmeme will cause the failure. There is always a little variability in any manmade parts and what they have to endure through their life. If there wasn't, all of our stuff would go bad at the exact same time and some stuff that has gone bad would never do so. It's not a waste of your time, and for your safety you should get it done.

#12 ·
Re: (drlava)

According to my dealer the fuel pump leaking problem is 100x worse than the mounting point problem.

If you are leaking gas only when the tank is full or near full, there's a 99% chance it's the fuel pump and not the tank.

My dealer replaced my pump for free since Volvo admitted to leaking fuel problems via the recall. Even though it wasn't the mounting points, they weren't going to shift the burden of proof to me. They just took care of it and made me happy.

#13 ·

Hi,

I just got the recall taken care of. About 30 minutes and pretty painless. I saw the tank and it looked fine so all I needed was the bushings.

By the way, I did a little research on this recall (NHTSA site ) and the reason why some owners weren't contacted yet is because the recall is being targeted at the hot weather states, like TX, AZ. Check this out below or go to NHTSA's site for an amazing amount of information on this recall. Engineering analysis, etc.

Thanks!

Make : VOLVO Model : 850 Year : 1995
Manufacturer : VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V368000 Recall Date : JUL 23, 2004
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 226000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, AFTER PROLONGED EXPOSURE TO HEAT, THE FUEL TANK MAY SEEP OR LEAK FUEL AT THE POINTS WHERE THE HEAT SHIELD IS ATTACHED.
Consequence:
FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
VOLVO WILL INSPECT THE FUEL TANK AND REPLACE IT IF ANY EVIDENCE OF FUEL SEEPAGE OR LEAKAGE IS FOUND. ALL VEHICLES WILL RECEIVE NEW REINFORCEMENT BUSHINGS AT THE HEAT SHIELD ATTACHMENT POINTS TO PREVENT FUTURE LEAKS. THIS RECALL WILL BE CONDUCTED AS A SAFETY RECALL IN THE HOT WEATHER STATES OF ALABAMA, ARKANSAS, ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, NORTH CAROLINA, OKLAHOMA, SOUTH CAROLINA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, AND UTAH, AND AS A SERVICE RECALL IN THE OTHER 33 STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 24, 2004.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552. VOLVO'S RECALL NUMBER FOR THESE CAMPAIGNS IS R139. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

#14 ·
Re: 850 Recall Notice (eightfifty)

Same here, I just got back from my dealer and my tank was found to be fine and they installed said bushings. My tech indicated to me IF my tank seemed faulty, they would have kept my car over night and replaced the entire tank and the bushing. They also "fixed" my headlight switch & heated seats, thou both were fine
I know, I know, it's part of a past recall, so they did it!!

#18 ·

this recall only valid in USA?
i have a '96 855 T5 and it leaks when the tank is beyond half full...drips so badly (1 drop per sec), so i went to the local scrap yard and found used tank, but they are charging me 100 bucks for that. going to change, but wished that the recall valids in Malaysia as well..

#19 ·
Only 2 ways I can think of to find out...ask your dealer in Malaysia or find it on the Malaysian Volvo web site. Good luck

#20 ·
Re: (MadeInJapan)

Just brought my car to the dealer.

They checked the VIN and found 2 outstanding recalls.

Fuel tank was inspected and not needed replacement, but the recall problem was corrected.

The heated seat wires needed some kind of adjustment too (recall).

Had it done in 24 hours and gave me a complimentary loaner.

All free courtesy of Volvo USA!

#21 ·
Re: (96855t)

I took my father's 850 in during the month of September after it started leaking fuel-even after another Volvo dealership supposedly did the recall work. They installed a brand new fuel tank, and the car was back on the road in a couple of days. Unfortunately, Volvo did not give my father a loaner-which is absolutely ridiculous since the reason the car was off the road was because Volvo assembled the automobile using at least one inferior product. Either way, the people(and service) at the Volvo dealership here in Sacramento were smashing, and if a situation ever arises where my indie is unable to do certain work(after all, he is a BMW and VW mechanic), I will feel no qualms about taking it back to the Volvo dealership.

#22 ·
Re: (1sciroccofahrer)

I was wondering where the fuel smell came from. Now it should get fixed for free. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif This will be the true test of my dealership and their service. They know Volvo's about as well as I know nuclear physics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.