SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 850 has Premium Sound. From what I can tell... the SC-815 acts as the headunit. On the back, I think that I see two DIN cables. I am assuming that one DIN cable is for CD Changer and the second DIN cable is for an amplifier. Is this correct? <p>Where is the amplifier located? What do I need to remove in order to inspect the connection? <p>Maybe I am way off-base. Is the amplifier built into the SC-815 unit itself? <p>

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: 850 Premium Sound ?? (robert213)

The amp is located behind the radio, and behind the air ducts that go to the rear under seat area. You have to remove the carpet around the sides of the center console and a black plastic side panel which is under the carpet of the center console to see the amp. That SC815 has a built in amp, but it's only rated at 25x4 where as your amp in your car should be 50x4. <p>whats the problem you're having?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 850 Premium Sound ?? (TurboMoose)

Thanks for your quick answer. <p>Intermittent loss of sound. It usually occurs when driving over a slight bump in the road -- like expansion joints on interstate bridges. I slap the side of radio and sound usually returns. <p>I was in the process of shipping the SC-815 off to United Radio Services in Syracuse NY. I decided to wiggle DIN cables. I haven't lost sound since. <p>Before shipping SC-815 away, I thought that it might be a good idea to isolate the problem -- SC-815 and/or AMP. I removed the lower plastic panel below the glove box. I found the black plastic side panel that you spoke of. <p>What is the best approach to access the connectors of the AMP? Remove center console -- starting from rear and work myself forward? Remove carpeting from the sides? <br>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: 850 Premium Sound ?? (robert213)

If slapping the radio fixes the problem, the problem is probably a bad ground or connection IN THE RADIO, NOT the amp!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 850 Premium Sound ?? (JRL)

Is the SC-815 grounded by wire or by radio case (thru radio mount and metal console supports)? <p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts