SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this is off topic but I just got a 94' 850 and it did'nt come with a cd player, Im on a limited budget so I dont want to spend the 1000 dollars at volvo on a cd changer and the alpine cd changer with installation seems like it would be expensive as well. I was wondering if you could install regular aftermarket headunits, seeing as the stock head unit is sort of square shaped, or if someone had a reasonably priced alternative.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hmm, its not off topic. Yes you can, I recomend you go to a local shop and have them help you. Since im sure you dont want toget taken at the shop, I see what I can do to inform you a bit. Volvos come with a double din opening, essentially its two typical aftermarket headunits in size. Shape has little to do with it, even the crazy Ford Taures oval headunits were double din, you did need to get a funny install pack for them. Anyway, you can put either a single or double din headunit in that slot. If you want to keep as stock an appearance as possible, try to find a good deal on a double Din, this will also give you tape and cd, or possibly MD and CD, but that will cost more. If your budget is very limited and you dont want to buy a double din, a single din with a pocket or blank panel can be installed. I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I have an 850 with an after market double din. I wanted to get the clarion, but it was out of stock for over a month, they were changing model years and no one could get them. So I went for a JVC and its pretty good. Most stereo places can install and make it look pretty stock, with a nice face plate to make it fit because the double din I have isn't exactly the same size as the space.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Another option would be to get an SC-816 off of Ebay for around $300 or less. It will be a perfect fit with easy CD-changer hook-up.

-Drew

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes that is an option, I have the factory one. It used to give me all sorts of problems though. The laser goes out of alignment easily, and it wasnt well designed for the car enviroment. The laser lens gets so dirty and grimey very easily, so much so that I have to remove it and clean it by hand. This is something only someone who knows what they are doing, so dont try it unless you are familiar with hand cleaning a laser. Aligning them is a bitch, especially because I dont know the stock spes. Im a picky audiophile though, and you may never notice the difference. I just dont like the distortion I get and the easy skipping. I also have a problem of cd's getting stuck in it, been doing it since new, and they even changed it while still under warranty. Both units have done it. Now mind you that even an aftermarket unit can have these problems, but the volvo one has given me these problems. On the other hand nothing will match as well as the factory unit, and if thats what you want, a factory finish, then get one off ebay. I would sell you mine, but I need it for when I sell the car.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
it would be interesting to hear what others have to say about volvo factor cd players too b/c i have been eyeing ebay for a while for my wife's 94 850.

can't decide between aftermarket head unit or add the alpine changer. to make things harder, i could give my wife my alpine changer and just buy the adapter, and then get a new stereo for my car.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by mpeng168:
It would be interesting to hear what others have to say about volvo factor cd players too b/c i have been eyeing ebay for a while for my wife's 94 850.
The only bad thing I can say about the Mitsubishi SC-Series, is that they are notoriously poor in AM/FM radio reception. This is the case in my car as well, although CD's and tapes play beautifully with this unit.

My 0.2 cents...

-Drew

·
Registered
222 Posts
They do have horrible reception, and the wagons antenna doesnt help matters. There is a sensitivity switch on the bottom of the unit, and that can help some, but not tons. I also took it apart once and tried adjusting it, but its just a lousy design for a tuner. Im suprised no one else has had the same problems with the cds getting stuck or anything. It happens in my car, my moms v70, and it happend in the first cd unit that was in my car, replaced under warranty. Its been a bitch of a unit, I really was not happy with its performance. I wish I had the s80's headunit, that one was great, never had problems, built in surround, etc. The reason I kept the stock one is because it matches the car. I hated how my aftermarket one didnt match.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I am really happy with the fit of my head unit, its a JVC. I had it installed at a local shop and they did a nice job making a face plate for it, i will post pix soon.
I wanted the clarion one, but I couldn't find it at the time, if I did it over again I might pick the clarion if I could find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts