SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: 850 a reliable car?? (zon)

Not a bad choice.
It WILL have the usual problems such as the A/C evap rusting out. The ABS module quitting (fixable for good for $150).Rear main seals can start to go,
sway bar links, other small and not so small items, but they are good, safe and nice cars to drive
The most important thing to do is to check the car's service records to see what has and has not been done as 60K is the time for things to need attention
JRL

· Registered
63,013 Posts
Re: 850 a reliable car?? (airprakken)

Quote, originally posted by airprakken »

Haven't seen that one. Maybe because we use the AC less here? I will watch out.

That's an incredible statement! It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when around here.
We don't know of ONE that hasn't needed an evap replacement.
I was told it's the R134 Freon that's the culprit. For some reason it's corrosive to early (pre 01) evap units.
I'm sure that there are some other factors involved in this too

· Registered
63,013 Posts

I didn't mention that the AC is really not that great in two of them (maybe third too but that's off in college and I don't see it much). On the few really hot days we have, they don't stay up very well. That happens so seldom here it's not worth fixing if that were even possible.
Ah ha, the truth.
When operating properly these units blow ICE COLD

· Registered
63,013 Posts

Wouldn't a "rusted out" evap drain all the refrigerant? That clearly has not happened. If not, please explain.
I shall be happy to.
They don't just split immediately, they start rusting and micro pinholes appear. This means you have a VERY slow freon leak. It can hold freon for months in the beginning, requiring a charge say, every 4 months. This can go on for over a year. The 4 months become 2 months to 2 weeks, etc. then it finally splits along the side and it won't hold anyting for more than a day. Naturally with some cars this process is accelerated and this entire process takes a month or so
JRL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.