SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a spare block from my 850 T5 ..I got a free 94 t5 and 04 s60r blocks for free...since i was not able t get 81.5 mm. pistons cheap and i had all 2.5L R internals i decided to bore out the 81mm block and make it a 83mm .. I had all used better condition rod and main bearings sitting around from my other used builds and I picked out the best sets.

any-who , couple of notable things i ran into worth posting was...I used R crankshaft and the R rod were scraping.rubbing the bottom of the sleeves on each side so I drilled that out without taking the block apart ...also the old t5 block oil squirters are different and the two that face opposite direction were hitting bottom of the piston skirts so i shaved all pistons same way and opposite each side of pistons as well to fix that...anyway, the block is shimmed and it is good to about 400-450 hp which i will never hit on my 850 with my 19t...total cost was 125$ and that was at NAPA to bore out the sleeves to 83mm...here are some pics and a vid of me vacuuming out chips after drilling , since i was not going to take it apart.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wonder what effect thinning the cylinder sleeves by 1mm per side will have on longevity. Do you need to use a solid copper head gasket to seal between the cylinders?

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! Subscribed to see where this goes.
thanks, it's not going far...ill wrap it up and store it...none of my engine want to blow. :D

well thanks.

Why didn't you use a piston from an 05- 2.4l which is 81mm?
i could not find any cj...and i am not paying more that 60-100$ for used ones including all rings...i have 125$ total in this short block...i was literately trowing this 94 block by the curb and then my friend totaled his R .

I wonder what effect thinning the cylinder sleeves by 1mm per side will have on longevity. Do you need to use a solid copper head gasket to seal between the cylinders?
thinning the cylinder is not good , buy i am only going to run 19t maybe k24... you can use standard T5 old style gasket of new style MLS gasket.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well ...with this one now I have a spare complete engine for every car in the house 2 R and one 00 NA complere heads and one 2.3l and two 2.5l short blocks,I just have to wrap it up and wait for one to go...lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts