SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting in this forum as the XC60 forum doesn't seem to have as much action regarding this issue, and I've noticed a few Volvo techs chime in on this issue here. I have a 2015.5 XC60 that has been serviced according to factory intervals. I have not checked, but I'm fairly certain my car's engine falls into the problem range (bought in September 2014). Between 20 and 30K, it started consuming oil. I have service records at 30, 40 and 50K stating that I had to add oil in between service intervals due to warning light.

Between 70 and 80K the engine seems to be increasing its thirst for oil, to the point where we now carry a quart of oil in the car. I've been feeding it Castrol Edge Pro 5W30, with the green "Dex-os" label.

I just had the car in for the 80K oil change, and was asking the service advisor about the situation. She pretty much owned up to the fact that these early Drive-E engines experience blow by due to poor ring design. She suggested I call Volvo directly to see what they say.

Do you think there is any change in heck that Volvo would honor a good will repair of any type? It sucks, as I have complained about this for a while, but dealers would not go beyond the normal fixes while the car was under warranty - flame trap replacement, new spark plugs, etc.

I drive the car like a granny (literally I don't push the throttle past 1/8th mark) because the car also suffers from the lovely detonation issue as well.

If anything, thanks for listening to me vent.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Goodwill is case by case, but being that you are the original owner who has been servicing it at the dealer even out of warranty and you raised the concern initially while under warranty, I would say you have a very good shot at it being covered entirely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is heartening to hear. I looked back at my receipts and my oil change intervals have been:

11/15/14 - 5,165
5/1/15 - 10,392
9/4/15 - 15,825
1/29/16 - 21,831
8/20/16 - 30,809
3/24/17 - 40,215
10/7/17 - 49,802
3/14/18 - 59,486
I performed one oil change in 11/18 at home (have Amazon receipt for Volvo oil filter/o-ring/drain plug gasket) forgot to write mileage
1/2/19 - 70,887
9/7/19 - 80,958

So pretty much on time, dealer service. I've had dealer also flush brakes, do a transmission service, and fix broken infotainment unit and fusible link. I did rear brakes myself when I did the oil change last November. Dealer replaced front and rear pads/rotors once each under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to work for the service department at a Volvo dealer In CT and you being the original owner with most of the receipts and also complaining about it for a while should be enough for Volvo NA to get you a new engine. Remember, dealers have to ask the Volvo NA as dealerships don’t cover the costs of Volvo warranties (unless it’s a specific warranty by the dealer.) TBH they should have replaced your engine when you started to notice the oil consumption. It depends how much the dealer fights for you and they usually are pretty aggressive because they make money from the labor of the installation.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I used to work for the service department at a Volvo dealer In CT and you being the original owner with most of the receipts and also complaining about it for a while should be enough for Volvo NA to get you a new engine. Remember, dealers have to ask the Volvo NA as dealerships don’t cover the costs of Volvo warranties (unless it’s a specific warranty by the dealer.) TBH they should have replaced your engine when you started to notice the oil consumption. It depends how much the dealer fights for you and they usually are pretty aggressive because they make money from the labor of the installation.
We don't just go tossing engines in for any oil consumption complaint. There are bulletins and policies we have to follow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really didn't start tracking consumption until recently. It is so troublesome to use the e-dipstick (run for 20+ minutes, park on flat surface and let oil drain for 20 minutes, then check it...plus my driveway is on an incline so that makes it worse). Plus it is my wife's car, so I don't drive it much.

5/17/19 - ~76,000 add 1 qt
5/29/19 - 77,139 add 1/2 qt
7/13/19 - 78,736 add 1/2 qt
7/20/19 - 79,164 add 1/2 qt
8/27/19 - 80,633 light came on wife added remaining 1/2 qt that was in car, got oil changed right after that so not sure if it was still a bit low

The other times when I added oil I was checking the e-dipstick, and wanted to be conservative (afraid to overfill).

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
So you have a 80k engine that uses oil at a rate of about 1500 miles per quart. The warranty is for 50k, I think. Early-on, you had to add oil between service intervals (a half-quart or maybe one quart, I'm guessing), so it sounds like you were in the 10,000 miles per quart range while you were in the warranty period.

Every engine ever made used some oil right from the first revolution of the crankshaft. The issue is what is "normal" and what is not.

I'm not a Volvo tech, or even a tech of any sort, but it seems to me that this a marginal case. However, as mentioned earlier, you have a lot of things in your favor. Good luck. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is the oil consumption problem only known in the US? Does anyone have the technical journal? I own a V60 T5 (MY16) and my engine number is something like 133xxx8. So it would be in the range but I don't think that a vehicle this late should have such a low engine number? I am located in Germany, thx.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The first step in the process is have the oil changed at the Volvo dealership. You will have to pay for this. Drive 1000 miles, not much over or under, return to have the Volvo VIDA shop computer do an engine oil volume test.
This takes about 15 to 20 minute or so while the engine is running. The Volvo shop computer will display the exact oil volume in the engine. This can be printed out. Ask for a copy. They have to copy/paste screen shot into paint.
Do not let them tell you that it can not be printed out. There is not a print icon when the results are displayed. "PrtScn"/Past into paint is the only way to print this out.
Go ahead and do the above now to start the process. Have the service writer write it up as, Engine using oil. They will ask how much are you adding. It really does not matter how much because the Volume test will tell the truth.
If by chance the Oil low add 1 Qt message turns on, do not add oil. Take a pic of the message with the mileage in the picture. This is the electronic way of alerting you that the oil is at add on the dipstick.
If the low oil message does turn on before 1000 mile, return to the dealership to have the volume test done.
Volvo will require the above to be done first and then advise as to the next step to be done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts