SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,<BR>I got my new S60 2.0T (in Greece!) only a month ago. I'm very satisfied with the whole package but I've experienced a couple of "problems" and would like to hear your opinion:<BR>1) the cd (803) sometimes "jumps" when I hit an uneven surface (my old cd player never did this!). Is this normal?<BR>2) The spaceball manual gear-shift is very cool but it doesn't feel as cool when I change gears! (I also think there is a little noise when I change to certai gears). Any similar experience? Will it become smoother with time?<P>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Elin-<P>I haven't had any problems with my 803 skipping, but I haven't tested it on rough road surfaces either.<P>My spaceball has definitely improved since I first got the car, though. At first, the 2-3 shift was difficult. I had to be very deliberate and push forward, right, forward. Now that is has loosened up a bit, I can make the 2-3 shift by pushing forward and the stick centers itself as I expect. I hope this helps. Enjoy your car!<P>-Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my CD skip a couple of times on very bad bumps. It has happened on other CD players in other vehicles I own. As long as it doesn't happen while the vehicle isn't moving, or while on normal city streets/highway cruising, I would think it's normal.<BR>I noticed my spaceball shifter was a little stiff when I first got it. I had to really find the shift pattern to change gears. But after 3 months I'm really used to the shift pattern and just slide it into gear almost automatically. No more trying to find the gear.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The CD changer in my 10 y.o. Acura (made by Alpine) has never, ever, ever, skipped regardless of terrain. Alpine used to have a tester where you could shake the heck out of their player while listening to it to prove to yourself that their player will not skip. Most other players are unfortunately not built that rock solid.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Like Freeworld said, the CD changer in my Volvo never skips, it is made by Alpine, and in the trunk as well. I think that "head" units tend to skip more than CD "changers", but they still should not skip that often. The HU-803 has a very complex 4-disc swap changing system and is probably more sensitive to bumps.<P>-Drew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Despite of all, my HU-803 (not with CD changer) has never had a skip, even on very rough roads. I have owned several units (Pioneer, Blaupunkt, Alpine), both head units and changers, and they all had skips: this is the one that don't have this problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good points. I think the in dash CD player might be a bit more sensitive to rough terrain. A CD changer does have the benefit of dampening or some type of shock absorbtion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok I agree that the head units are in general more sensitive to skipping than the cd-changers. It is also true that the roads here in Greece are on average more bumpy than in the States. But it does happen TOO frequently in my car - especially when I'm speeding. I'm thinking of having the local volvo dealer take a look (how???) and perhaps replace it (my old "modest" sony cd-changer used to skip once or twice a month compared to 5-6 times per day with the 803)

·
Registered
15 Posts
That sounds like it happens way too often! Could be the result of a misaligned optical "eye" that reads the CD or the CD tray could be out of alignment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts