SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18" wheels might have an adverse effect on our steering racks?

I was just pondering why we have so many steering rack issues. The tech told me that mine was the first one they have done on a S60. The R rack is different from the normal 60 only for the speed sensitive steering (I was told...) If the other cars are not failing, it might be that the 18" and their weight in time becomes too much for the racks to handle? Have we lost steering racks on cars with the 17" as well?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Re: 18" wheels might have an adverse effect on our steering racks? (mrumiano)

Should not really matter as both are the same width. 18" wheel will weigh more but the lower profile tire weighs less. Car abuse and turning the wheel too much while not moving will stress the rack and other components.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Breathing on your steeringwheel may cause your steering rack to fail.

It may even cause the powersteering to seep in some places.

Best thing to do...don't turn, or drive into any bumps.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Seems like most of the chronic problems are with the 04's and 05's and seem to get less and less after that.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (Husker Z)

Quote, originally posted by Husker Z »
Seems like most of the chronic problems are with the 04's and 05's and seem to get less and less after that.

Knock on wood.......no rack problems with my 04. I did have the leaking reservoir clamp problem and just had the fluid flushed and filled after 5yrs and 32K miles.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Re: (Husker Z)

Quote, originally posted by Husker Z »

If you replace "04's and 05's" with "older cars with more mileage" then yes I totally agree.

Mine's good.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re: (BeerEngineer)

'07 on 17's all her life - 2nd rack @ 22K miles. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Re: 18" wheels might have an adverse effect on our steering racks? (mrumiano)

Quote, originally posted by mrumiano »
I was just pondering why we have so many steering rack issues. The tech told me that mine was the first one they have done on a S60. The R rack is different from the normal 60 only for the speed sensitive steering (I was told...) If the other cars are not failing, it might be that the 18" and their weight in time becomes too much for the racks to handle? Have we lost steering racks on cars with the 17" as well?

I am wondering the same thing myself. Why such a high failure rate? (my 04 failed in 06 @ ~30k)

This was NOT an inexpensive affair, thanks Volvo warranty.

recommendations for longevity?
potential replacements? (XC70/90, regular S60?), is the speed sensitive functionality tied into the stability control computers? (I could only assume so) If so we're toast

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Re: (peter_reece2003)

17's and no rack issues. I got the 18's going on soon. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: (badams1897)

You may get a clicking noise when you turn your steering wheel but your car is stationary. Obviously the worse it gets you will experience actual steering problems i.e. not being able to steer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.