SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
7th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers

Group photo from last year's event, which was our smallest to date...

----------

This year, we will be expanding our group to combine with a small SAAB club that annually meets about the same time we do. We still intend for this event to be Swedish cars ONLY. Previous event attendees who no longer own Volvos/SAABs are the only exception. I know this sounds rude, but the majority enjoy keeping it exclusive. This also helps limit it to our tight community where we can meet new people with similar interests.

When?
October 20th for the main event and activities. However, a few will be arriving the evening of the 19th and staying until the 21st.

What is Volvo Dragon Slayers?
This is an opportunity for local Volvo owners to slay the dragon, enjoy the scenery of the Smokey Mountains, and meet a bunch of cool people.

Lodging
There are many places to stay in the area, but the SAAB group will be lodging at the Dragon Pitt BBQ Inn (http://www.dragonpittinnandbbq.com/wp/); this is the same place we usually have our BBQ lunch. When making reservations, tell them you are with the SAAB/Volvo group. Rooms are $80 a night.

Schedule
This year's scenic drive will include parts of Cherohala Skyway and a short detour to view some local waterfalls.
It is advised that you have breakfast before we meet and pack snacks for lunch. We are scheduling for an early dinner, but unknown variables could delay this. There will not be a designated lunch stop.

For those staying in the Fontana area or arriving from the South side of the dragon, we will be meeting at the Fontana Village Resort General Store at 8:00am for an 8:30am departure to the main meeting location at 10:00am.

8:00am meeting up at Fontana Village Resort General Store.
8:30am departing from the store, heading down Moonshiner and north on the dragon.
10:00am main meeting location with the SAAB owners at the lake-side pull off just north of the dragon on 129, where we usually take our group photo. Lat/Long coordinate are: 35.547378, -83.9991487
We will take a group shot and have a quick driver's briefing before heading south on the dragon and stopping at the KillBoy store.

We will then take Moonshiner 28 to Robinsville for gas and snacks before beginning our scenic drive.
There will be multiple rest stops and photo ops along the way.

7:30pm The final stop will be Tapoco lodge for dinner (https://tapoco.com/)
After dinner, those staying at the Dragon Pitt Inn will lead a slow paced night run of the dragon back to their lodging.

----------

The following are links to albums from past events.
6th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Foothills Parkway
5th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Clingman's Dome
4th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Cherohala Skyway
3rd Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls
2nd Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Cherohala Skyway
1st Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers: Cherohala Skyway

----------

About the Dragon:

The Tail of the Dragon is a public road with 35mph speed limits and occasional cops. Slay the dragon at your comfortable pace! This is not a race! No one will judge if you intend to hold back and drive slow. Some of our group will lead and intend to drive fast, others will stay back and enjoy the curvy road at the speed limit.

----------

If you want alcohol, bring your own! There is a bar at Fontana Village Resort, but this is a dry county with a 30 mile drive to the nearest liquor store.
Do not drink and drive.

----------

It is advised that everyone brings walkie talkie radios for communication while driving. All Volvos will be using Channel 3 sub channel 0. Radios are a great way to communicate upcoming turns, rest points, and friendly chatter.

----------

Volvo Attendees:
MyNameIdeasWereTaken - 987S
tchnprgrmr - C70
jeff.potts.148 - C30
TheBelgian - C30
AlconeC30 - C30
adenis20 - C30
adenis20's mom - C30
Jamaki604 - C30

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This year, I will only be attending on the 20th.
Bailey will be at a friend's wedding and will not be able to join us. :(

As mentioned above, I plan to get to Fontana around 8am before we go meet the SAABs on the North side of the dragon.

If there is no interest in a night run of the dragon, I may just leave after dinner at Tapoco.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Woo! Sounds good.

I'll be there on Saturday.

Probably not in for a night run, and I'm still figuring out timing for Saturday. Probably either meet everyone at the 10am meet spot, or meet at killboy afterwards (I'm guessing 10:30ish?)

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say probably 10:30-11 at the KillBoy store.
If we're meeting at 10 to do a photo and quick driver's briefing, then 10-30 minutes across the dragon depending how fast you drive. ;)

We'll see how this year goes with the SAAB group and then make a decision on if we want to join them again next year or continue on with our own Volvo exclusive event.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This sounds fun. Is this open to anybody with a Volvo? or do we need to officially join a group?
There's not official group, just a bunch of Swedish car enthusiasts getting together. Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
71 Posts
sweet, My wife and I are going to try to make it, no guarantees at this point though. Might make for a nice anniversary weekend :). Our current Volvo is a XC60 so not too sporting, but at least it is a T6.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Longtime lurker, moved to NC a couple of years ago and looking to get some time away. Not sure if I'd be able to bring both Volvos but I'm a fan of good roads and great views!

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump for the event!

Obviously I won't be brining the C30 since that car has seen the last of its performance driving days... But I'll be crashing the Swedish party with the Porsche.

Anymore confirmed Volvo attendees?
MyNameIdeasWereTaken - 987S
tchnprgrmr - C70 or S60R
jeff.potts.148 - C30
TheBelgian - C30
AlconeC30 - C30
adenis20 - C30
adenis20's mom - C30

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll be bringing the c70 this year as I sold the s60r a few months ago.

Any additional details on the scenic route for Saturday after the dragon?

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any additional details on the scenic route for Saturday after the dragon?
We'll be doing part of Cherohala skyway and a few detours to go see some local waterfalls.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See everyone on Saturday!

Only schedule change is that dinner will be at 7:30 at Tapoco lodge (we have reservations). There will be an extended stop in Robbinsville around noon for people to pick up fast food or grab some snacks at the grocery store.

After dinner, those staying at the Dragon Pitt Inn will lead a slow pace night run of the dragon back to their lodging. I will most likely be heading home from Tapoco since I live south of the dragon.

Forecast currently says rain in the AM. In this part of the Smokies, short rain showers never last long. Though be prepared for a high in the 60s and a low in the upper 30s. Boost weather! This may be our coldest Dragon Slayers event to date.

On Sunday the 21st, a few Volvo friends will be coming over to my house for a parts install party. Everyone is more than welcome to come hang out that afternoon. I'm only supplying tools, so bring your own food.
I live about 2 hours south of the Dragon in Dahlonega, GA. If you want to come, PM me and I'll send you my address.
There is also a large fall festival in downtown Dahlonega this weekend, which can be a fun event for the whole family. https://goldrushdaysfestival.com/gold-rush-days/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, the c70 won't make it this year. Battling coolant leaks and the oxygen sensor failed today.

I'm be there in a rental, and I thought I would be crashing the outing with something American, but the volvo gods smiled down on me, and I got put in a Volvo!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have fun guys... Sure wish I could make it but Uncle Sam had other plans for me this year...

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was a great time seeing everybody! Pictures to come...

I had a good conversation with the 3 Saab people who attend every year and they were furious with the other Saab owners, they actually ditched them half way through the day so they could go have fun too. So no hard feelings about our Volvo group deciding to go off and do our own thing.

Seems like we did make a positive influence though! They were very impressed with our group, our cars, and how performance oriented we all were.

Sorry for the more chaotic time this year and rough schedule. It was worth a shot, but I don't think it really worked out.

So for next year... We'll probably move the date back to September. A bit more traffic, but more daylight and usually more comfortable temps.
As for joining with the Saab group again, the general consensus has been that we'll return to Volvos (and previous Volvo owning attendees) only. If the Saabs choose to go the same weekend that we do, we can work out a strict time for a group photo and then meet up again at dinner time, but we will not attempt to coordinate with them for a full day of driving activities and if they're late, we leave without them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I didn't take a bunch either, but here are some raw from my phone. The c70 may not have made it, but the keys for it did! Next year it'll be there for sure!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts