SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the 7500 mile service and had the lug wrench replaced because the first time I tried to loosen a lug, it stripped out. I was rotating tires at 5K and used my own tools after the failed attempt with the Volvo light weight wonder-bar. So while I was chatting with the service rep we were discussing what to do with a flat. He told me not to use the inflator kit because it will make the tire un-repairable and also ruin the sensor. Instead have Volvo bring the car to the dealer. That's fine while I am in the NJ home area but I plan on a 4000 mile trip in the fall to God knows where and it might be a trick finding a Volvo dealer in the boonies. That said I'm thinking about a space saver spare if I can find one reasonable? Anyone have any recommendations. Other than the lack of a real spare and the cheap lug wrench supplied,the care has been 100% reliable with no issues or reported codes listed at the service. So far as reliable and bullet proof as my old 2006 S60 which I thought was a true beast that would never let you down.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just ask your local Volvo dealer - a space saver spare is available as a dealer-supplied accessory (at least it is here). As for the use of the inflator kit - it doesn't make the tyre/tire unrepairable, it just becomes very time consuming (and thus costly) to reapir. Once the goo is in the tire, the repair shop usually has to spend a fair bit of time scrapping the goo out of the tire to try and get it rebalanced.

Tony

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The spares cost about $200 from your local dealer. Ask for the "Tempa Spare." It should include the tire, a bag for it, and trunk tie down straps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For $200 that will do it- I'll see my local dealer and get this before we leave- Might be gone for a few weeks and I'll fell better having a spare. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Instead have Volvo bring the car to the dealer. That's fine while I am in the NJ home area but I plan on a 4000 mile trip in the fall to God knows where and it might be a trick finding a Volvo dealer in the boonies.
Or after Safe and Secure expires. Seriously Volvo, include a better solution and include the spare (with a proper cargo floor to hide it).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I got the spare and bag. It looks like the bag could hold a full-sized spare/wheel if you really wanted.

I spend a lot of time far away from dealers and even cell coverage; I don't want to risk being stranded by something the "goo" can't fix.

·
Registered
301 Posts
red- i have a spare i could sell you 100.00-no bag-just the tire. shoot me a pm if you would like.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Lol that lug wrench is useless... I broke it trying to undo a lug when putting my winter tires on. I believe it's made out of soft plastic...

As for the spare. While it is useful, you lose your trunk :S

·
Registered
247 Posts
Unfortunately I have used it twice after I destroyed a tire and did not have it; learned the hard way !

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I use a foldable 4-way lug wrench that I've had for years. I mark the appropriate socket with tape to make it easy to find in the dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts