SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was actually just over 9 weeks ago. I was driving from Houston to Dallas on I45 (two lanes each way, grass field divider between each way.) It was very early morning. I had attended an event in Houston the night before but was having trouble resting at my hotel. Having a mild anxiety attack and understanding my vision is more sensitive to day driving conditions, I decided it was a better idea for me to take to the dark and make it home by morning. It's about a three hour drive and the AVG speed limit on that highway is 75 MPG.

About 30 minutes out of Houston, I decided to find a gas station to fill up and get some snacks, as well as a Red Bull to help fuel this tired journey. Halfway to Dallas, I was set in cruise control, for the first time ever using this feature. I was enjoying it for quite a few miles but unfortunately did begin to almost fall asleep for a moment. I panicked a bit and slipped out of it /reached my brakes harder than I should have. The car swerved and I tried not to over-correct it but still lost total control. The car flipped and rolled numerous times. I don't even really know how it looked. All I remember thinking is "****" and seeing dust. It happened so fast but then, there I was; alive but no idea where or what position I was in. Had no idea if I was right-side up or upside down. I attempted to open up my drivers side door but it wasn't catching. Tried the passengers and that was even worse. I wasn't even taking in the damage to the car. It was simply dust and glass everywhere and I was more worried about escaping the car in case of fire/explosion. I attempted to open the driver door again and this time got the push open. Walked out of the car, on my own and was definitely in shock by everything.

As soon as I escaped the car, I had people flagging me down; who had seen just about everything happen. Only to realize they were seeing it from the opposite side of the highway, and that's where my car now laid. The only thing that prevented me from entering a parade of 18-wheelers (according to witness) was a thick cable wire across the highway line; where my passenger side laid up against (again, in much worse condition than my own and luckly, I was alone.) The car was totally wrecked. All airbags deployed, thank god. The main witness said that all she saw was a giant cloud of dust and my car's lights flipping /rolling around in the dark. They were all amazed that I was alive, let alone walking out of the vehicle before they even reached me. They stayed with me until emergency / ambulance arrived and I was taken to a local hospital to be checked out and cleared. It was all a very surreal experience. I may have made mistakes on this trip but as soon as I walked away, the first words muttered were thanking Volvo safety. That's enough to make a customer for life. I truly don't believe I would have survived that crash or at least without any serious injury, if I wasn't driving a vehicle comparable to Volvo's safety standards.

I'm in a 2014 s60 now though I know now what mistakes I can prevent, you never know who else is sharing that road with you and at least I have some piece of mind. Based on my own experience alone.
:heart:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Glad to know you're OK.

Also I am glad that I bought a 2010 S40 for my daughter.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Take care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts