SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:<p>I have an opportunity to buy a 745 at a very favourable price, and I am considering it. I have a 245, and I know that a lot of the mechanicals are the same or very similar, but I wonder what issues specific to 740's I should look for?<p>Also, the car is a turbo, which I've never owned. What are the maintenance requirements on a turbo? Is a turbo suitable for my driving style (around town, grocery-getting, sedate), or would the car be happier with someone who's going to take it out on the road more than I would?<p>The sunroof motor needs replacing, but aside from that, it's a decent-appearing and running car, seems to me. I know the sunroof motor is cheap and can be replaced when the headliner is redone, which is needed anyway. If anyone has any cautions about that (I already know about the 1/8" material needed), I'd be grateful to hear them. Thanks!<p>

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 740's- What Should I Check For? (danemodsandy)

If the car has a clear title, current inspection and is legally registered in GA then buy it and we can fix it up right here on Swedespeed using your credit card!<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 740's- What Should I Check For? (gdill2)

George:<p>After some research, I've concluded that a turbo is not for me. I drive like the proverbial Little Old Lady From Pasadena, so I don't need the boost, and the maintenance costs are not something I want to take on. Plus, most 740's have high enough mileage that I would have to count on doing some major work sooner or later.<p>If anyone has a NON-turbo 740 wagon in the Georgia area, please feel free to let me know. I don't care about the age, just the mechanical condition, and I'm looking for one with a roof rack (OEM only) and the third seat. Working A/C would be nice. I'd like a good, straight body and decent paint, but interior glitches are not a problem, since I'm very good with interior repairs.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 740's- What Should I Check For? (danemodsandy)

Sandy,<p>The 240, 740 and 940 wagons are all similar in design and any would make a nice ride in Georgia.<p>Let us know your max budget and greatest distance to travel and we will find a Volvo to fit your needs.<p>George Dill<p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts