SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
740GLE (non-turbo) engine & AT common to what later years?

Folks,<p>Can anyone out there tell me what subsequent years of Volvo continued to use the same engine and/or AT as a 1987 740 GLE (non-turbo)?<p>My '87 740 GLE was recently rear-ended by a hit-and-run driver while parked. While coming to grips with the demise of my main ride I've had an idea: since the mechanical components from my car (VIN YV1FA8845H1173039) forward of the differential would seem to be as strong as they ever were, I'm thinking I could take the major components (engine, AT, brake system (pretty new), wheels and tires (pretty new), radiator and AC and put them on another newer Volvo with a good body and interior but which is in need of some if not all of the aforementioned parts.<p>I want to do this because I still want to ride around within the safety of the Volvo crash cage while not spending much more on a new car than I can get from my insurance company for my old car - I hate note payments.<p>I might as well upgrade to a newer year in the process. So, can anyone out there tell me what subsequent years of Volvo continued to use the noted parts, particularly the more expensive parts like, I assume, the engine and tranny? I've searched this forum and don't see where this question has been answered before.<p>Anyone care to estimate how much an independent shop would charge me to remove the noted parts from my old car and install them on another used car should I find one?<p>I've checked the Southwest Auto site since the wreck but I haven't found anything appropriate for sale there.<p>Best regards,<br>Ed P.<br>The Dallas / Ft. Worth area

·
Registered
313 Posts
Re: 740GLE (non-turbo) engine & AT common to what later years? (epischedda)

You've got the the B230F motor and probably (hopefully) the AW71 transmission (there's a ZF automatic transmission option, but if yours is still running, that's probably not what you have, lol it breaks a lot).<p>The B230F is far and away the most common N/A four cylinder of the mid to late 80's and early to mid 90's. I don't know how many blown ones you'll come across, and there are some wierd legal issues about putting older motors in newer chassis, but I think you might be ok down in Texas (no inspections, right?)<p>Anyway, given the commonality of the parts used in the rwd cars, I think you are probably looking at a healthy collection of spare parts rather than a swap project (which is NEVER, EVER, EVER as easy and straightforward as it sounds when you say it.) <p>The 940, particularly in wagon form is just the 740 reprised, in 93 (I think, it might be '92) they added additional side impact protection, but it's otherwise the same chassis. You might want to test drive a 240, slightly smaller, but in my opinion, a more welcoming, less "cold" interior and certainly more character on the exterior.<p>Good luck with whatever you decide to do.<p>cheers,<br>scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 740GLE (scootergeek)

Hey Scott,<p>Thanks for responding.<p>While I'm not certain which AT I have, I've put about 75,000 miles on it since 1998 without problems so, based on what you say, I must have the AW71 tranny.<p>For what it's worth Texas, at least this part of it, has both a vehicle "safety" and an emissions inspection program.<p>I'm not not clear on what you mean in your third paragraph: you speak of good parts commonality, which would make me think I have a wide selection of model years from which to choose to be the recipient of my remaining parts, but then you say that you don't think I have a viable swap project - care to elaborate? Do you say what you say because you mean that, regardless of how many recipient models there are to choose from that use common parts, such an old-parts-to-old-car project is never as easy as it sounds and therefore not worth pursuing?<p>As for 240s I've always thought they looked better than the 740 GLEs but I thought they were not so good in terms of reliability - care to comment?<p>Also, I've since identified another model that's caught my eye before: the 260s, with their low-slung roofs; do you have any thoughts on these?<p>Ed P.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Re: 740GLE (epischedda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>epischedda</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Scott,<p>Thanks for responding.<p>While I'm not certain which AT I have, I've put about 75,000 miles on it since 1998 without problems so, based on what you say, I must have the AW71 tranny.<p>For what it's worth Texas, at least this part of it, has both a vehicle "safety" and an emissions inspection program.<p>I'm not not clear on what you mean in your third paragraph: you speak of good parts commonality, which would make me think I have a wide selection of model years from which to choose to be the recipient of my remaining parts, but then you say that you don't think I have a viable swap project - care to elaborate? Do you say what you say because you mean that, regardless of how many recipient models there are to choose from that use common parts, such an old-parts-to-old-car project is never as easy as it sounds and therefore not worth pursuing?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>I didn't mean to say it wasn't viable. The 740/940 chassis is actually probably one of the easier to work with as far as access to the parts, it's just motor swaps between different years and models inevitably have snags and unexpected parts changes. I just wanted to caution that if you haven't done one before, that as straightforward as it sounds, it's never that easy. That said, there has to be a first time for everything, and if not now, then when?<p><br><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>As for 240s I've always thought they looked better than the 740 GLEs but I thought they were not so good in terms of reliability - care to comment?<p>Also, I've since identified another model that's caught my eye before: the 260s, with their low-slung roofs; do you have any thoughts on these?<p>Ed P.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Same motor, same transmission. Slightly inferior form of rear axle mounting. The biggest downsides (in my eyes, someone else may know better) are the 240's on average are older, and generally had worse rustproofing. A friend of mine had a bad engine wiring harness and says they are pretty common, but neither of my 245's had that problem and I don't know if that issue also applies to 7 and 9 series cars.<p>The 262C is pretty cool in a funky kind of way. Rare, probably not cheap. With the unloved V6, but my ex-roommate had a 264GL that didn't have the notorious cam wear problems and he ran it close to 300k miles before so many little things went wrong with it that he gave up on it. I seem to remember reading in the Volvo Buyer's Guide that headroom is SERIOUSLY restricted in it.<p>cheers,<br>scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Scott,<p>Thanks again for answering my questions, and ones I would never have known to ask.<p>It's the 262C that I've admired before, but I'm not finding any for sale. Also, it doesn't sound like I'd be able to use any of my parts on that car.<p>Ed P.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Re: 740GLE (epischedda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>epischedda</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>It's the 262C that I've admired before, but I'm not finding any for sale. Also, it doesn't sound like I'd be able to use any of my parts on that car.<p>Ed P.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It could definitely be done, the engine compartment is the same as a 240, but you'd most likely have wiring harness issues to figure out as well as the odd mechanical issue like motor/transmission mounts that probably won't be the same as in your 740 (though they might, I don't know for sure). It would be a test of your patience and creativity.<p>Just understand, the answer to your initial question is, yes your parts will fit in all sorts of RWD Volvos including those that didn't originally have a B230F/AW 71 combo; I'm not trying to naysay or discourage you, but rather point out some possible pitfalls. <p>cheers,<br>scott

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

Ed;<p>If you like, we can find a nice 262C with the 4-cylinder.<p>Interested?<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 740GLE (gdill2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>gdill2</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ed;<p>If you like, we can find a nice 262C with the 4-cylinder.<p>Interested?<p>George Dill<p></TD></TR></TABLE><p><br>George,<p>Sure, I'm interested - how do you propose we go about this?<p>It's the Bertone model I'm interested in.<p>Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts