SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm on the hunt for the passenger door stop or door catch (unsure of the terminology) for my '74 142 GL. The door swings open too wide and it's time for me to finally work towards repairing the dent in trim and door this has caused.

I believe this is it, but I'm searching for a US source as well:
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...of/doors/door-utilisation/door-catch/1067026/

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Also I could be wrong but I believe late model door hinges from 240s and even early 7 series will bolt up to your car, and the lower hinge has a stop built in to it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
The 740 hinge has the right number of mounting holes and (as I remember) swings the same way as the 140 hinge. But, from personal experience that torsion bar spring roller thingy stop mechanism on the 740 lower hinge is not a performance improvement! After a couple of years, the one on my 745 T became noisy and no amount of various types of spray lubes would fix the 'snap' on opening and closing - until the torsion spring did a final snap and it was replacement time.

I think the 140 and 240 hinges were common; but, they are no longer available. If you needed a new hinge because of pin wear, I would first be inclined to try depinning and install a new pin. If that didn't work, the 740 hinge might be an option.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The door stop bolts on great, but I neglected to pay enough attention to realize that the door is also missing the post to for the catch to catch onto. Probably easier for me to find a 240 around here than a 140, if that is an option.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It looks like you are missing a lot more than just a 'post'.

Door stop 2.JPG

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
22 is just the rubber gasket that keeps crap out of the door cavity. I think you need 20, 21 and 23 in addition to part 14 because the spring and part 21 is what catches the bent part on 17.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts