SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many hours over many days spraying carb cleaner and squeezing hoses trying to find a vacuum leak a chance encounter with my oil filler cap revealed that the gasket on the cap had turned to stone. It was absolutely the last thing I would have suspected and the lowest cost fix I could have made! Just a word to the wise if anyone is chasing the same problem.

having fun!

Craig

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The best part is those gaskets are cheap, I think Volvo has used the same size oil filler for the last 50 years because I buy them 5 at a time and never have to buy multiple sizes. I change them on all my cars every 5-6 oil changes just to make sure they stay soft. Basically if it's suspect it gets changed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My logic was out of whack! Although I needed the oil cap gasket probably not my issue. A comment was made regards sticky advance weights in the dizzy. I have lubed the distributor and things seem a lot better. I will report if there are any significant changes.

Thanks to all!

Craig

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Your initial coments didn't jive with my experience. The airflow through the crankcase ventilation system is set by the orifice in the fitting in the intake manifold. I have pulled the hose of the oil filler cap with the engine running because the hose was in the way of something I was fiddling with. The hose sucking atmospheric air made no difference to the operation of the engine.

On a D jet, air leaks into the intake manifold just result in higher idle speed. The D jet monitors manifold pressure and if air is leaking in, the Djet cannot tell the difference between unplanned air leakage and someone opening the idle air screw some more. If your issue is that you are having problems getting the idle speed down, look for air leaks around the throttle plate shaft. Volvo uses a high tech felt seal (just like the leaky crankshaft seals) which gets hard with age. Took me forever to find that leak!

The centrifugal advance sticking would give you unplanned advance which would also raise your idle speed.

·
Registered
404 Posts
"If your issue is that you are having problems getting the idle speed down, look for air leaks around the throttle plate shaft. Volvo uses a high tech felt seal (just like the leaky crankshaft seals) which gets hard with age. Took me forever to find that leak!"

you piqued my interest, but I could find no such seal in the parts book.
Do you have a part number?

thx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might be Part# 944208. Don't see it on any of our usual parts guys list but it is on page 42 section 2a of the parts book...item# 49. Can anyone verify?

·
Registered
404 Posts
That looks like it. I was looking under fuel section.

googled it , but came up empty, only refers to sites that say NLA or discontinued.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My Elring top end gasket set had a bunch of gaskets that I didn't recognize. The little felt ring for the throttle shaft was one of those that I had no idea what it was for until I found it when I was chasing down my manifold air leaks. Turns out that the rubber pintle seal off of one of the injectors is a perfect replacement for the felt seal. It is a little tight on the throttle shaft; but, a couple turns with a drill bit opened it up slightly nad it has worked well for over a year now.

As noted by Rainflye, 944208 is the part number for the felt ring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pintle seal eh? That's my favorite pastime...figuring out how to use what I have on hand to fix the problems I run into! Saves money also. In this case maybe almost a $1. But as we know it's not the cost it's the resourcefulness.

Thanks for the advice. I will be checking that seal.

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts