SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you recall, we had a huge vacuum leak on this engine, which was traced (at least partially) to a leaking injector installation (as it turns out, it is still leaking air). However, the car lacks power. It can barely move the car (the starter moves the car on 1st and reverse better than the engine!). Number 4 cylinder is not firing, the others are much leaner than they used to (the car used to fire on all cylinders a few months ago).

We tried a large concentration of injector cleaner, but made no difference (the first time I had tried it it worked, but now junk from the tank may have clogged them further). Is there a place where we can send the injectors to have them properly cleaned up?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Had you forgotten Cruzin Performance in Big Rapids, Mich?
BUT- You will NOT do ANY GOOD with a big vacuum leak! Fix that, pull the injector rail and put a newspaper in front of it and see if the injectors inject. If it is evens or odds, check the trigger points in the bottom of the distributor and their wiring.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In order to forget about "Cruzin Performance", you have to have known it at some point in the past! So, that's the place that can clean up our injectors? Any source for new ones or rebuilt ones?

I think that the vacuum leak is due to a bad O-ring. Obviously that will have to be fixed, but this is not the cause of the lack of power. When we first got this car to fire up, it was idling at 3,000 rpm or more, and had great throttle response. The wheels were off the ground back then, so I could not feel it under power, but I would bet that I could move the car around with no problem (now, it barely moves under its own power). Also, all 4 injectors were spraying. Now, with only a small reduction in the vacuum leak, its idling at 1000-1500 rpm. Number 4 cylinder has a cold exhaust manifold (water droplets don't even boil, whereas on other cylinders a drop of water is gone in half a second). I don't know if injector 4 is completely plugged, but if its spraying, it sprays very little. The vacuum leak is on #3, which seems to be firing. Since this is a MAP system, vacuum leak would not cause a power loss. So, there is no question that the injectors need help. I guess its a no-brainer to repeat the spray test once we remove the fuel rail.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the injectors out. #3 and #4 were barely spitting anything out (while 1 and 2 were srtonger).

Also, I figured out why I had such a huge vacuum leak. There is a washer that sits the aluminum injector base. Not sure what material it is, but at first I thought it was a gasket material. But later, I figured out it was something harder, may be steel. Anyway, that thing was broken, and pieces missing, which explains why #3 was leaking air a bunch. I doubt I can find replacement for that, but I think that a thin layer of RTV will plug this.

One thing we noticed. Two of the injectors had a hard rubber cylinder surrounding the injection tip, and two did not. I am not sure what that does there, but I think the sealing is done on another hard rubber location further up-stream. Did we lose these two rubber grumet thingies? Are they critical? If yes any idea where to get replacements?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Got the injectors out. #3 and #4 were barely spitting anything out (while 1 and 2 were srtonger).

Also, I figured out why I had such a huge vacuum leak. There is a washer that sits the aluminum injector base. Not sure what material it is, but at first I thought it was a gasket material. But later, I figured out it was something harder, may be steel. Anyway, that thing was broken, and pieces missing, which explains why #3 was leaking air a bunch. I doubt I can find replacement for that, but I think that a thin layer of RTV will plug this.

One thing we noticed. Two of the injectors had a hard rubber cylinder surrounding the injection tip, and two did not. I am not sure what that does there, but I think the sealing is done on another hard rubber location further up-stream. Did we lose these two rubber grumet thingies? Are they critical? If yes any idea where to get replacements?
Three things:
1) Check and clean the injector trigger points under the distributor. There are two and they fire the injectors in pairs.
2) You need those rings, which are heat insulators.
3) Those are pintle caps. While the car will run without them, they protect the nozzle.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks tm. The fact that the low flowing injectors did flow some indicates that the triggers worked. And given how much crap was in the fuel system, and that the engine ran fine at first, all indicate towards dirty injectors.

Where do I find the rings and the caps? Any replacements available?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Mike Dudek in Gilroy, Eric Hamlet in Torrance, Voluparts in Atlanta etc etc will have the rings. Not so sure about the caps.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Rich at Cruzin Performance can supply pintle caps for these Bosch injectors, presuming they clean up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts