SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to this. I recently bought an old 164e. It needs a new fuel pump. I am trying to figure out where that is. It looks like it's in a little housing right next to the fuel tank in the back of the car. It is showing no signs of wanting to come out. Has anyone replaced one of these and can toss a few pointers over?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I don't know about the 164E; but, on the 142E the pump sits in a 'box' that is mounted (actually hung) along the body channel on the right side of the gas tank. There are mounting bolts that go through tabs at the front and the back of the box. At the front, the bolt goes up into the body channel. At the back of the box, the bolt goes up into the area beside the tank. You will need to pull up the floor of the trunk to get access to the retaining nut on the back mounting bolt, otherwise when you try to loosen the retaining bolt it just turns; but does not actually loosen. On the front mounting bolt where is goes into the body channel, I can't remember what the stock retaining nut arrangement is / was. I now have a 5/16 " nutsert in that hole because the original retainer was unsatisfactory.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello becketschroeder,

I also have a '72 164E. The original Bosch fuel pump is pretty stout and I believe its possible that yours may actually still be good. I was able once to get one that I had pulled at a JY that was totally frozen to come back to life. Had to unscrew the little pipe that contains the check valve to remove it, which gave access to the guts, which I then sprayed liberally with PB Blaster to get a whole bunch of gunk to drain out. I then filled it with PB Blaster and left it overnight. Next day I was able to carefully use a screwdriver to free things up. This was relatively easy because I had an old Radio Shack 12V converter, so I was able to test it where it was convenient to work on it.

I had another situation where the check valve had become stuck so that it wouldn't let any fuel out. This was after it had sat for only 2 - 3 months. This was as simple to fix as pulling the fuel line off and popping a little ball back down into the pipe. The unsimple part was dealing with fuel draining as soon as the line gets pulled.

I think there may even be a fuse to check, but I have to admit I'm far from being a mechanic so what I'd really recommend you do is read a couple of very recent posts by a user named Svens who dealt with this and many of its related issues on a 164 he recently got. 142 Guy already gave him a ton of help in these threads. There's a lot in there that I think will be very relevant to your situation. Especially if I'm assuming correctly that your car sat for any kind of extended amount of time before you got it. These cars seem to implode from not being run. They love to be used!

By the way, if you have an ohmmeter, you should be able to check to see what it tells you about your fuel pump. No reading would equal an open circuit meaning she's dead. Same for an infinite reading, as there'd be a short. But if get any kind of real reading of ohms, I'm pretty sure its good, or at least possibly revivable AND if its not frozen, there's something else causing your problem. You should also check to see if you've got 12 volts at the connector to the pump, which hopefully you can also do with a meter.

By the way, there's some Volvo green book service manuals being sold by a guy here http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=316623. If you don't have one, you should really consider seeing if he has one for your '72.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts