SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking at some past dealer-performed oil changes on my Volvo (when I was particularly naive about maintaining my car), and they had always charged me for 7 quarts of oil.

As far as I know, our cars take about 5.8-6 quarts. What is the reasoning behind Volvo putting in 7? Are they draining the old oil and then pouring 1 quart through with the oil drain plug off and engine not running to make sure it's cleaned out thoroughly? Or was I being overcharged for my oil changes?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
So I was looking at some past dealer-performed oil changes on my Volvo (when I was particularly naive about maintaining my car), and they had always charged me for 7 quarts of oil.

As far as I know, our cars take about 5.8-6 quarts. What is the reasoning behind Volvo putting in 7? Are they draining the old oil and then pouring 1 quart through with the oil drain plug off and engine not running to make sure it's cleaned out thoroughly? Or was I being overcharged for my oil changes?
Oil capacity in our cars is 5.8 If I remember correctly. All you need is 6 quarts per change, you're being ripped off. I always buy 7 and keep an extra in my trunk tire compartment. If you aren't being given the 7th quart than that is 8 dollars that you are being raped from.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You sir are insane! Let the thing drain for an hour will do the same!
No it will not. Debris in the oil will not completely drain out because it can get stuck along some of the oil passages. This is overkill but it is a way to keeping a healthy high mileage engine. If I run over my normal oil change (3.5K) I usually do this because a lot of extra dirty oil will come out!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
No it will not. Debris in the oil will not completely drain out because it can get stuck along some of the oil passages. This is overkill but it is a way to keeping a healthy high mileage engine. If I run over my normal oil change (3.5K) I usually do this because a lot of extra dirty oil will come out!
3.5k on synthetic. damn your engine loves you. your wallet not so much. i usually go 4, sometimes going a bit over to 4.5 depending on schedule. i could go longer and be fine.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i know this may be off topic (not really maybe sort of) but do any of you guys run heavier oil like 10w-30 in the summer?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I accidentally did [my 5qt synthetic bucket was 10w30] but it hasn't hated me yet. I just added in some 5w to even it out a bit. Thankfully it was a very very warm winter here in VA.

Hopefully my car won't do anything silly because of it. It'll have 5w30 here in a month or so since I'll be at 5k around then

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I accidentally did [my 5qt synthetic bucket was 10w30] but it hasn't hated me yet. I just added in some 5w to even it out a bit. Thankfully it was a very very warm winter here in VA.
Castrol Euro 0w-30 till the day I blow her up...

·
Registered
727 Posts

Hopefully my car won't do anything silly because of it. It'll have 5w30 here in a month or so since I'll be at 5k around then
I ran 10w-30 this past summer, it was hot as hell out, so i tried it out and everything went fine. Was just curious to see if anyone else ran it as well

·
Registered
16,902 Posts
All my cars 6 quarts every 5-7k 10w30
My longest kept 850 Turbo lasted up to 400K till the valve seals went the second time ........

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It's a formula that has worked pretty well. The my old 850 R is still going strong on dino oil ~ 260k +.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Don't forget the seafoam...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts