SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just went to see phuz and my car is only boosting 7 pounds. I know alot of people have the 10 pound blues but this is just rediculous. I have a hdtcv,k&n filter and resonator delete and that's it. I have a light on my cluster from the 4c not being connected in the front. I have no real Check engine lights on and there was no codes stored. If anyone knows what might be the problem please help me out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to see him because he lives by me, and there was some other things I was a talking to him and wanted him to check the tcv. Do you have any ideas about my boost issue ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have have a boost gauge Matt had one

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
im just speculating but this sound like tcv issue as in your wastegate is set to 7 and that is the only thing controlling your boost, not you tcv as it should

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was thinking but I had Matt from fuzzy motorsports who makes the HD TCV check it and he said it was fine

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Do you still have a functioning stock tcv? If you do step one would be to swap that back in reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery leads in the trunk and holding them together for 30 sec and drive it a few days and see what happens. However you really need to get a boost gauge to monitor boost first tho.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
im just speculating but this sound like tcv issue as in your wastegate is set to 7 and that is the only thing controlling your boost, not you tcv as it should
+1

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do need to get a boost gauge soon ! And unfortunately I don't have the stock one anymore. I will try to find a stock one soon maybe I can swap with someone for a day or so....

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a thought - is it possible that the wires connecting to the TCV are bad? Would it trigger a CEL or anything?
I can't remember what happens when you unplug the wires from the TCV, but if the wires were bad the situation would be similar to having the wires disconnected, thus leading to approx. 7 psi max boost.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Just a thought - is it possible that the wires connecting to the TCV are bad? Would it trigger a CEL or anything?
I can't remember what happens when you unplug the wires from the TCV, but if the wires were bad the situation would be similar to having the wires disconnected, thus leading to approx. 7 psi max boost.
The wires going to the TCV is just a negative and a positive to power the solenoid. It wouldn't trigger a CEL. Well atleast when mine went bad it never triggered a CEL.

I would try getting a stock TCV swapping it and starting there. Then check all the vacuum lines for cracks. Unplug the TCV and do a battery reset. Plug the TCV in and go for a drive. If that doesn't work then I would check the boost pressure sensor and the mass air flow sensor. Sounds like a TCV issue though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok does anyone have a used stock tcv for sale ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also checked all the vacuum lines and no cracks !

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
He has had this same issue with the stock TCV and the aftermarket TCV. The TCV is not the issue as I tested it with my meter as he arrived at my house. 26 ohms on the nose!

He has installed non-R shocks and has the CHASSIS SETTINGS SERVICE REQUIRED message. The ECU wouldn't go into limp mode for this, right?

We even reset his ECU and took it for another spin, and the GT pushed 7psi again during testing.

If the vacuum lines had cracks, it would actually cause over-boost and the car would go into limp mode.

If the wires were in an "open circuit" state, the ECU would throw a CEL for "Turbo Control Valve - Signal Missing" as I have had this with a bad connection on the original TCV.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the wires were in an "open circuit" state, the ECU would throw a CEL for "Turbo Control Valve - Signal Missing" as I have had this with a bad connection on the original TCV.
Thanks for the info, answered my question perfectly! So Frank can quite reasonably rule out the wires causing the problem.

Cheers,
DeadHead

·
Registered
998 Posts
For a second there I thought you started a thread about Will Smith's movie...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope just my car lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts