SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 11 months of denial, I've finally come to this conclusion. 75 mph and revving at almost 3K? Garbage.

I never use fifth either. I pretty much skip it every time, and it's geared so close to 6th that I can never seem to find a situation or speed where 5th is optimal. Even if I'm slowly accelerating, I go from 4th to 6th. So essentially, I feel as if I have a 5 spd transmission, and not a 6 spd, and a bit ripped off.

Just thought I'd mention that. It's been bugging me for a while now. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: (mofolicious)

I would, I would! I've been hesitating about the install because my girlfriend already complains about the ride comfort with my springs.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
LOL.... what else mofo.. please let us know more... I just got eibach springs installed and yeah I do notice a much more stiff ride.

Are the coilovers tooo stiff for you mofo?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Re: 6th gear is too short (mofolicious)

ya i agree. I am wishing every night that someone creates a gear set to change out the gearing in the tranny. I see almost no difference in the 5th and 6th gear, they really need to change this or just take 5th out

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
so...... basically the 5th in the manual trans for the 2.4i is essentially really close to the 5th and 6th gear for the T5?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The coilovers actually ride really, really nicely. MUCH better than I expected. That being said, yes they are still stiff. It's unavoidable. I just cringe every time I hit a bump too hard, and can't wait for the time I check my suspension to find a blown strut. I know this inevitable, and I'm not looking forward to what I'll probably want to do (which is upgrade to Koni yellows, which might not be easy) if/when that happens.

I also didn't bother with rear camber arms because the tire shop did (what I thought) was a damn good job of aligning it. Not a lot of negative camber, and in their opinion - one that I trust I might add, I might burn through the tires about 10k sooner than normal.

Well I have what I think might be cupping on the rear tires. I'm getting some heavy vibration that is mostly noticeable at highway speeds. Read: 80-110 kmph. So I find myself speeding everywhere to make it less noticeable. It smooths out at around 120. I'd probably speed anyways, but having to so your car rides better? Well that's just dumb. I guess it's one of the prices I pay for being a ricer.

Anyways, I'm going to be looking into the tire issue and some rear camber arms in the near future. I'm going to be spending a month on pogey so the cash flow is going to be low, but I won't be driving much anyways, but this might have to wait until the fall. In the mean time, since these tires are already most likely pooched (with only about 10,000 km on them!), I'll probably do a rotation and see if that makes things a bit better. If it does, I'm going to lift this sucker up, may as well do that until Spring time, and then get some of the camber arms and new rubber for next Spring. I'll also now be the poster boy for the adjustable arms, stooping as low as to put anyone who lowers their car (especially as far as I've gone!) on the spot and publicly questioning their intelligence if they don't get them (sort of like you guys should have done to me!).

Anyways... that's enough ranting for tonight. Thanks for reading my novel.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 6th gear is too short (SiCkEsTC30)

Quote, originally posted by SiCkEsTC30 »
ya i agree. I am wishing every night that someone creates a gear set to change out the gearing in the tranny. I see almost no difference in the 5th and 6th gear, they really need to change this or just take 5th out

Very glad to see I'm not alone here.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Vash13)

Quote, originally posted by Vash13 »
so...... basically the 5th in the manual trans for the 2.4i is essentially really close to the 5th and 6th gear for the T5?

I'm not sure. I would bet that it is taller, but probably not by much. Or it could be that the final gear has the same ratio, and there is just an extra useless gear in there.

I'm too lazy/tired to look it up right now though.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
just curious how much boost or tourque you get in 5th and 6th gear? For example, is it possible to pass a car in 6th gear easily?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Vash13)

Quote, originally posted by Vash13 »
just curious how much boost or tourque you get in 5th and 6th gear? For example, is it possible to pass a car in 6th gear easily?

Depends on how fast I'm going, and what type of road I'm on. I can't say I ever have had to downshift to get extra power to pass someone, but sometimes I still do. Even going 100 kmph in 6th gear I believe I'm spinning at around 2100 rpm in 6th, which isn't giving me much boost at all (if any... a boost gauge would be helpful here
), but still have adequate power to bump my speed up another 10-15 kmph to pass someone if I'm on a two way road and there is something coming, but I'm pretty patient for the most part and can wait until I have ample opportunity to overtake safely.

If you look around on here for someone with a T5 and a dyno graph, that question can be answered quite easily. Unfortunately I don't have one... they were having problems with the printer, and since it was a free dyno day, I didn't feel like I had the right to bitch.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Re: (mofolicious)

Quote, originally posted by mofolicious »

Depends on how fast I'm going, and what type of road I'm on. I can't say I ever have had to downshift to get extra power to pass someone, but sometimes I still do. Even going 100 kmph in 6th gear I believe I'm spinning at around 2100 rpm in 6th, which isn't giving me much boost at all (if any... a boost gauge would be helpful here
), but still have adequate power to bump my speed up another 10-15 kmph to pass someone if I'm on a two way road and there is something coming, but I'm pretty patient for the most part and can wait until I have ample opportunity to overtake safely.

If you look around on here for someone with a T5 and a dyno graph, that question can be answered quite easily. Unfortunately I don't have one... they were having problems with the printer, and since it was a free dyno day, I didn't feel like I had the right to bitch.

You can spin your car in 6th gear at 2100rpm !?!?
Did i read this right !>

·
Registered
705 Posts
Re: 6th gear is too short (mofolicious)

Quote, originally posted by mofolicious »
After 11 months of denial, I've finally come to this conclusion. 75 mph and revving at almost 3K? Garbage.

75mph? 3K?

If I see 3K on my rev counter while in 5th for my T5 Geartronic, I'm in deep trouble... it'll be almost 100mph by then.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (jdsr917)

Quote, originally posted by jdsr917 »

You can spin your car in 6th gear at 2100rpm !?!?
Did i read this right !>

Sorry... I meant spinning as in my crank. 2100 rpm.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts