SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Which weekend works best for the 6th Annual Volvo Dragon Meet??

• Sep. 2nd (LABOR-DAY Weekend)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sep. 9th

• Sep. 16th

• Sep. 23rd

• Oct. 7th

• Oct. 14th

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just finalized booking my rooms and got the dates off. So I'll definitely be there!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just over a month to go! I'm looking forward to some curvy roads and mountains, it'll be a welcome change from flat Florida.

Any updates on the side trip, and better timing for Saturday?

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
We'll probably have a skype call this weekend and I'll get the official side trip info posted.

Especially with it being slightly later in the fall, we've been talking about just driving Foothills parkway and keeping things close to the dragon. It would allow for a chance to see the changing colors, more social time, more time to visit the dam, and less chance of being stuck in slow traffic. It wouldn't be as long of a drive as in year's past, but the majority seem in favor. Especially since a lot of people are already spending a lot of time behind the wheel just to get to the area.

This will also allow more time for driving the dragon, for those who are interested.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hopping in here as well. I am in the Triad area of NC and would love go out to the dragon again. I did tail of the dragon two years ago around that time and it definitely has all the fall colors in full effect.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
By popular demand, rather than taking a long scenic drive, we'll be keeping things close to the dragon this year.

We are keeping an updated list of claimed attendees. If you are not with our group for initial departure from the general store, we will assume you are not joining our convoy and we will depart without you. You can use the schedule of events to determine where we should be and about what time.
***Please know that the times are estimated. We may be a few minutes ahead or behind of the estimate times.***

Schedule

8:30am meet up at Fontana Village Resort General Store.
9:00am departing the store and heading to Robbinsville for gas.
9:30am quick driver's briefing before leaving the gas station, we will be jumping onto 129 and taking it across the dragon for a Volvo parade lap. This will be at a calm speed and allow the photographers to capture pictures of our convoy.

From there, we will be branching off on Foothills Parkway, which is about a 15 mile scenic road providing numerous stops to take pictures. Once nearing the end of Foothills Parkway, the group will be turning around and returning to 129 for lunch at the Dragon Pitt BBQ Inn.

12:00pm Lunch at the Dragon Pitt BBQ Inn
1:30pm Annual group shot at the pull off before driving back across the dragon. This Dragon run will be for driving at your comfortable pace. Cars will divided up based on known experience level.

After crossing the dragon, we will be pulling into the Deal's Gap KillBoy store to allow the cars to cool down and purchase stickers. We will then be driving down Moonshiner 28 to the top of Fontana Dam.

3:00pm, visiting the top of Fontana Dam for social time. At this point, there are no planned activities, so people are free to explore the area and drive the dragon to their heart's content.

8:30pm, meet back at the general store for a night run of the dragon, departing at 8:45pm. The nighttime is a whole different beast and many will claim it to be a faster run. It's easier to spot oncoming cars and there will be less traffic. Designated leaders with appropriate lighting will lead the night run of the dragon. We highly discourage anyone from driving the dragon by themselves at night.

Rules:
As always, never push your car more than you are comfortable with. Some of us have cars extensively modified specifically for the dragon. Just because you have the same engine or the same chassis does not mean you can keep up. Driver experience, tires, and brakes account for speed.

Remember that the dragon is a public road with speed limits of 35mph. You are driving at your own risk by speeding. There will be public cars and bike on the road and there may be cops.

Also remember that we are here to enjoy the turns, so don't cut them short! If we catch you crossing the double yellow at any point during the event, bad things will follow.

Our Volvo group is very mature and the highest respect will always go to the drivers who slow down and do no exceed their comfort level. We want to see everyone staying safe. This trip is about having a good time, it's not a race and it's not about showing off.

Notes:
For those interested, some of us will be arriving Friday night and staying through Sunday morning. Friday we will probably be lounging at the resort. Saturday morning, we will be having breakfast at the lodge.

Packing List:
Water, snacks, and cameras.

Remember to bring walkie talkie radios! We usually use channel 3, sub channel 0. This is a great and entertaining way to communicate while driving

Remember that there is little to no cell reception in the area. When we go to Robinsville for gas, there is usually cell reception for AT&T and Verizon.

Remember that this is a dry county, so bring your own booze. However, anyone drinking will not be allowed to partake in the driving events.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The first post has all the details about the event. 5 days aways! Safe travels to everyone.
I won't be arriving until Saturday morning, planning to get to the lodge for breakfast at 7:30.

Looks like we're going to have a smaller group this year. Nothing wrong with that! Easier to coordinate.

If your name is on this list and you do not plan on attending, please let me know.
Or if your name is not on this list and you do plan on attending, let me know.

MyNameIdeasWereTaken - C30
SunroofGirl - V50
Dubcee - Mazda 3
tchnprgrmr - S60R
Soleedus - C30
Zoomer7 - S60
Macthias - C30
canyoneagle - C30

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll be there. Taking the c70 this year.

I'm starting the trip on Thursday evening. Just 3 more days!

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Any thoughts on possible dates for 2018?
I was just thinking about starting a new thread for this! The official date will be Saturday October 20th.

It's a bit later this year, due to some other conflicting events. The Colorado Volvo trip and GridLife South will both be in August. A lot of regular Volvo Dragon Slayers attendees have been invited to another Volvo friend's wedding (in Texas) in September. Then Touge Fest in November. So October was the obvious choice and we picked a weekend with the least number of previously schedule car/bike events.

Hopefully this date works for everyone!

Further details to come with a new thread; I'll share a link to that thread here.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts