SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the torque specs for the bolts holding the rear spring retainers and the bolts for the rear shock? I have a Haynes manual but the torque specs are limited and not clear, thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
C (a name would be nice!);

Welcome to this forum!

When fastening torque is not specified for a bolt in a specific location, we can default back to a "typical torque range" for a given fastener size...and a mechanic develops that as a function of experience from similar sized fasteners where torque is specified (and maybe a few that he has broken off "not knowing his own strength")...

...or you can refer to the other rule: "Keep tightening it until it suddenly gets loose, then back off a quarter turn..."

Happy Wrenching!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The Volvo green book does not provide torques for those bolts. The following provides a guide to torqueing SAE fasteners:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/bolts/US-Recommended-Torque.aspx

Remember that these are the thread size, not the nut / bolt head size. You can tell the grade of the fastener from the markings on the head of the bolt. If you have a nut which will typically be unmarked assume that it is 5 or less. I am going to hesitate a guess that the torque recommendation chart is for clean unlubricated threads. I look to put everything back together with a liberal slathering of anti seize (especially suspension bolts) which acts as a lubricant so I tend to err with slightly less torque than recommended.

·
Registered
473 Posts
142G;

Thanks for link to chart!

I am also a religious user of graphite/nickel filled Anti-Seizes and was also wondering about the dry vs. lubed torque thing a while ago...

...so I contacted Loctite's customer service and asked them about it...application engineer Rich Lockery there sent me the "K-Factor Charts"...it basically shows to reduce the specified torque by 10-15% when using Anti-Seize, so I would say you already had it well under control...but just in case you're interested, see: https://www.sw-em.com/anti_seize.htm

Well torqued Cheers!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ron

Interesting notes on the application of anti seize. I would not have thought about cable lubrication. I have never applied AS in cold weather so I don't know whether it becomes very viscous or has a very consistent viscosity versus temp characteristic. If it has a flatter characteristic it might be a good option for the throttle cables because I find most greases tend to make for stiff throttle operation at reduced temperatures. To avoid this I typically uses 'oil'; but, these tend to disappear quicker. AS might be the hot ticket!

·
Registered
473 Posts
142G;

Freezing it will increase viscosity more sure, but being grease based, it's already at a very "high viscosity", and I don't mind that characteristic (it means it stays put)...the other characteristic I like is that liquids or even greases can be displaced, but the particulates cannot)...that's why I prefer it for certain low movement/high bearing area jobs like cables and linkages, not to mention anti-corrosion jobs...after ACZP, it's my second favorite product to have on hand during service...

Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks for all the feedback. I bookmarked that chart, Im pretty good about guessing torque specs these days but always like to double check when possible

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
C (a name would be nice!);

Welcome to this forum!

When fastening torque is not specified for a bolt in a specific location, we can default back to a "typical torque range" for a given fastener size...and a mechanic develops that as a function of experience from similar sized fasteners where torque is specified (and maybe a few that he has broken off "not knowing his own strength")...

...or you can refer to the other rule: "Keep tightening it until it suddenly gets loose, then back off a quarter turn..."

Happy Wrenching!
Thanks! and thanks for getting that alternator bracket over so quickly ( I think I bought that from you ), that's tomorrow project

1 - 8 of 8 Posts