SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about ten years of owning my car, I'm not sure if I have ever even posted here. But I have had excellent and direct correspondence with a moderator and I have done a lot of other reading here.

On my own present punch list of "button ups", the projects which I define as those that should be addressed, but not necessarily a hazard, are to replace my rear bushings. I've been through all of the front end with mostly pleasant success. I'm unsure of the history of my car here, but with the parking brake on and the car out of gear, a good one handed jerk, or push and pull on the bumper, shows me some good slack. I think that slack indicates worn rear bushings.

I am uncertain as to which model/year are prone to wearing out the rear bushings sooner than they should (?). I have often heard that some Amazons, and 1800s, wear out the rear bushings sooner than they should. Given that, I have also seen (on-line) or other internet sites (maybe here?), where someone has a custom redesign of the trailing arm. Like an IPD Sway bar improvement, I would think the same might be for trailing arms? I would think maybe someone did it and possibly marketed it? Maybe not.

I have a fresh set of rear rubber bushings (my preference over poly) and fresh fasteners... (VP). I'll stare at those parts for another month or more before I actually dive in to the project (?). I usually like to plan things out, attempt to foresee issues, all before diving into deep water.

The question I have: Is someone making custom trailing arms to compensate for what I assume may have been a design inferiority? If so, I also think it would be nice if they were preloaded with the bushing- not every one as a bearing press to punch out that, metal sleeved, soup can. Being preloaded would also speed up such a job.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I've only seen custom trailing arms done to swap a later axle in to an earlier car. Which I did in my build thread. Not sure which ones wear out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only seen custom trailing arms done to swap a later axle in to an earlier car. Which I did in my build thread. Not sure which ones wear out.

Maybe that is what I thought I saw (somewhere), and maybe here (?), and your car, and that custom trailing arm. (?)

It is my assumption that bushing part number 675771 is the culprit in premature (1967) rear suspension bushing failures that I note in the thread. But, that is just my assumption. Regardless, my only question is if someone had done something to improve on retarding this premature failure/wear, such as possibly changing the rear trailing arm? My question comes from curious intrigue and possible assumption.

The larger diameter (front) IPD sway bar (to me) seems like the first thing to do to a 122 after all else is in in order -with an antique driving car. I think that was my order of procedure (10 years ago?). I also had a slight assumption that a newer style rear trailing arm bushing (or other) may also have a similar improvement. -A similar modification, with the same level result (probably more of wishful thinking). Most people concentrate on front suspension before they do the rear.

I chose NOT to add the rear IPD sway bar to this car because I did not want to drill an extra hole in my car. I assumed it may have retarded the premature failure I assume here (maybe). I was also not sure it would provide much more than what I needed- I also like the soft ride of a 122 and thought the rear bar might stiffen it further than I wanted. Soft comfort is a top reason I like the car. But I try to strike a balance between keeping that cushion of luxury, and a balance of turning the head of some kid in a Khia when I move through the exit ramp on to the highway at 55 mph +.... while on stock size 165 tires (soon to be replaced with Veristien 185).

I always try to find the small details that really make a difference, or help me to make MY choice on striking the balance I desire. We all have our individual choices/taste.

- I think that my thread may be my assumption that there is some improvement here that does not exist. I was just trying to confirm that.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
That's a wagon specific bushing, do you have a wagon?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Huh. Wouldn't be the first time, sorry about that. Must have mis-read a link.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An old post reply to myself and others, in need. I am not sure this is where I thought I originallysaw it, but they are here. And this could now come in handy for me, in the near future:

Yes, I have a later (67) axle. Spring height may vary from stock (reason two for my own consideration). I'm just sharing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts