SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wagon doesn't like to go into first gear like when I stop a light. All the other gears are fine even revese so I'm sure the clutch is working fine. Could it be some wear in the linkage ?
Thanks !

Oh it's the standerd non OD 4speed.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
It could be that, or it could be the first gear synchro is dead, if you can slip it into all the others. Does it work well with the car shut off? Does it work better when you put it into second and then go to first, without letting the clutch out in between?

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
My wagon doesn't like to go into first gear like when I stop a light. All the other gears are fine even revese so I'm sure the clutch is working fine. Could it be some wear in the linkage ?
Thanks !

Oh it's the standerd non OD 4speed.
If not already, adjust the clutch fork to the very minimum free-travel.

When preparing to drive from stop press the clutch fully then move the shift lever from N to 2 to 1.

Also, given the diff ratios in a wagon, you can start from 2 unless under load and/or poor tune.

George Dill

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys ! I'll mess with it some more today but it almost seems like it has something to do with linkage.
If I put it in reverse then into first it'll pop in but second to first won't pop into first.
There was some play in the clutch linkage but I got that fixed.
I'll mess with it today and see what other info I can give.

And George it would start in second just fine but being a dipstick I find myself sitting at a stop sign with some POed guy behind me while I'm trying to find first. :)
The first time I drove it I thought it was a bit under powered from a stop. Turned out I'd started in third gear!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
There is also a big nut that holds the shifter down on the gearbox. Make sure this is as tight as it can be. You need a big pair of pliers to tighten it, but I suspect that if it feels tight by hand, it is probably not the problem. You will have to undo the rubber boot to reach that. On my car, I don't need to worry about that boot because its all but torn! :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
First gear synchro gets the hardest wear and fails first. If your clutch drags ANY you will probably have this problem

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mess with it much today busy changing the water pump. Dimitri I'll look at that nut.
Walrus reverse gear doesn't grind so I'm pretty sure the clutch isn't dragging.

I should say that I've been driving manuals for over 30 years. Because if I was reading this I'd be asking." Is this your first manual transmisson?"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts