SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So far I have checked with one of the Volvo dealers and an outfit that specializes in Volvos in the Tigard area. Both of their quotes are pretty close at around $700. This includes changing the oil, coolant, brake fluid, air filter, spark plugs, cabin filter, and i think some tightening/lubing. I have a feeling I am forgetting something but I think that is the major lineup.

Any thoughts for places to get a quote from? I could do a couple things myself but am willing to just pay the piper this time.

Thanks in advance. I have a 2005 V50 T5 AWD with a manual tranny.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: 60K service tips for Portland-Oregon area (V50PDXER)

That's right in the ballpark. The 60K is a major service and somewhat important from a maintenance standpoint. I usually take it to the dealer for that one. This is from someone who doesn't usually believe in dealer work for routine maintenance, btw.

It it hasn't been there in a while, you may want to ask how they handle any software updates that pop up when the car is connected to VIDA. You might want them, or you might not. This is something an Indie generally doesn't get involved in.

Be aware too that they may find other things to suggest as they get into the job, e.g. brake pads etc. and you should think through in advance what other things you may or may not want to use a dealer for.

Tom.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts

Find an indie mechanic with good Volvo knowledge, and pay him/her to do it on a weekend (off the clock). I paid $300 for my 60k service (about a week before I traded in the S40.
)

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Yeah, my indie guy here has quoted me from around $500-600 for a full 60k service, the lower side because I recently installed the typhoon intake and don't need/can't have my tires rotated so that knocks some off the price...I have found he is consistently about 10-20% cheaper than the dealer, a lot cheaper on some things though like installing springs, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I sure appreciate all of your responses. I just remembered the dealer quote included replacing the serpentine belt as part of the $700 quote so that makes it a little less painful I guess.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

Which belt exactly. There are three, and replacing the timing belt at 60K miles is a complete waste of money - it's rated for double that, minimum.

Tom.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 60K service tips for Portland-Oregon area (tmtalpey)

I wish I had paid more attention. My take on his comment about replacing the serpentine belt was that it more along the lines of running accessories. I am almost positive it wasn't the timing belt though.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts

I totally missed the fact you live in the Portland area. Have you called Ipd to see what they will do the service for. I would trust them over most anybody else.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
700 is what the dealer charged me too. on a positive note one of my spark plugs failed recently and they replace all of them free of charge cause they changed them a 60k service.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote, originally posted by V50PDXER »
Hello,

So far I have checked with one of the Volvo dealers and an outfit that specializes in Volvos in the Tigard area. Both of their quotes are pretty close at around $700. This includes changing the oil, coolant, brake fluid, air filter, spark plugs, cabin filter, and i think some tightening/lubing. I have a feeling I am forgetting something but I think that is the major lineup.

Any thoughts for places to get a quote from? I could do a couple things myself but am willing to just pay the piper this time.

Thanks in advance. I have a 2005 V50 T5 AWD with a manual tranny.

$700 is too much, Oil change I think u can do it ur self, volvo uses life time coolant so no need to change, brake fluid all u need just brake fluid about $18 and "do it ur self bottle" about $7, very easy to change, air filter I'm sure u know how, spark plugs I think someone posted how to change spark plugs b4,it is easy too, cabin filter easy too. I don't think they will change the tranny fluid in the 60K service. volvo uses life time fluid no need to change either. I did want to change the tranny, awd, bevel gear and diff oil b4, and one of the S60R ower said "you are crazy not to change ALL of these fluids. Lifetime Fluid is not worth the risk to me... " I asked a guy who is very knowledgeable about cars, the person that answers the Q&A section in a car magazine, and he said every one knows their own product the best and if volvo says you dont need to, than you dont need to

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.