SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo says that you don't have to touch the spark plugs for the first 60K miles. This seems too long to me. My '04 is at 40K miles now and I'm thinking that really the spark plugs are over due. What is everyone's opinion here? Also, would you go with Volvo plugs or something else ('04 V70 2.5T).<p>Also, they (as usual) claim that the tranny fluid doesn't need changing at all, but there is a stipulation for changing it if you often tow something or use the car in harsh conditions. Even then, they claim that it should be done at the 52,500 mile service (7th service at their 7500 interval). This also seems too long to me. What is everyone's opinion here?<p>On the '04 service was free up until 30,000 miles. I did the 37,500 on my own and plan to keep doing so, with the help of my indy mechanic for things either beyond me or when I don't have the time to do them.<p>Your input is appreciated. Just about to order some things from fcpgroton, so it would be good to get everything I need at once.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Re: 60K miles for initial spark plug change says Volvo...too long? Other ... (MadeInJapan)

If you are using the standard platinum plugs, I would replace them every 30,000 miles. I have 86,000 miles on my '01 S60 and replaced the plugs at 60,000, just 3,000 miles after buying the car. I plan on replacing them again at 90,000. I am using autolite platinum plugs.<p>I checked my plugs recently and they look OK, but I will replace them in a couple of months when I reach the 90,000 mile mark.<p>I do most of my own servicing. Saves $$$$$.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Re: 60K miles for initial spark plug change says Volvo...too long? Other ... (MadeInJapan)

Honda's recommendation is 105,000 on the V6s, so I always thought the 30,000 recommended for my '98 turbo was a bit anal. Anyway, I had a bad plug wire, which fouled a plug, so I'm "off cycle" and I may try going 45,000 miles next time.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well when I am asked if these are the "standard" platinum plugs, I don't really think so. The Volvo turbo plugs have a copper core but with a Plat. tip. Many have reported on other posts to avoid the Plat. plugs, esp. from Bosch, so I plan on changing out with the Volvo turbo plugs when I do. So, I'm hearing that it's okay to go over the 40K mile mark on the original plugs. Any other opinions on this?<p>How about the tranny flush? Would you do it early, or wait for the 52,500 mark? Rough driving conditions or not, I think it's worth doing it no matter what the "official word" is from Volvo. <p>Others are confirming now that the Mobil-3309 ATF (on Volvospeed and Matthewsvolvosite) is what is supplied to Volvo (for their very expensive ATF), so I suppose that's what I'll go with. Any opinions on this here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: (MadeInJapan)

Not to sure on the plug answer, I am do for some new ones and was thinking the copper core w/ plat tips, any suggestions recomended.<p>The Transmission I am finding out you should do every 25-30000 miles from my expierence w/ automatics. I have had a old Jag, a couple volvos and a few american beaters, and this stands true for most.<p>As fars as the mobile 3309 ATF this is the same grade and consistancy as the Volvo 3309ATF but they are not the same the Volvo ATF is synthetic and the supplier is somewhat unkown some say Castrol.<p>The Mobile 3309 ATf is Fossil or non synthetic. The only difference this makes is you probably have to change it more often.<p>My theory is "Why mess w/ a $4000 tranny. Better safe than sorry" A extra $75 on Volvo ATF is a small price to pay for knowing the car has the exact manufacturer reccomended fluid.<p>Cheers<p>Moltenburn.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
dont use autolite, bosch, denso, whatever crap plugs. they only cause problems.<p>get some pulgs from the dealer and put them in every 30k. At least thats what i do. <br>maybe every 60....but thats pushing it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts