SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6000 RMP's +

First of all, a lot of you know that I fill 101 octane mix in my R. Usually 5-8 gallons of it.<br>Even so, sometimes the car will gasp above 6000 RPM's. Not always. Much less so with the higher octane. Is this something that would truly only be cured with a none OEM ECU? It seems the best shift point is at 6000 RPM's, which is several hundred RPM's short of the redline. Sometimes the power will be crisp right up to the redline (oops, sometimes a little beyond if I shift poorly).

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gasp as in out-of-breath. In other words, there really isn't any power being produced. Almost as if someone shut off the oxygen to the combustion chamber.<br>I believe C&D mentioned this in their comparison test last fall (the test we love to hate!!)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: (flybynight)

I have a 05’ and I think I used to experience what you are talking about. When I would get to the higher rev’s the car seemed to just start choking. Since I changed to new downpipe, cat and 3” exhaust this really helped improve that issue. I still have one issue with high rev’s. On race gas mixture, it runs fantastic, all the way out and no cutouts. When running on our standard 91 fuel, it seems to cut out with a bit of choppiness at the high end. I have not modified my ECU yet and I am not sure if getting the ECU tuned would help with that. But I definitely had a big change in the engine choking feeling with the exhaust changes I made.<br> <br>

·
Registered
433 Posts
I notice the same thing after installed the Ferrita exhaust. RPM still go up but the car seems to be powerless after 6000rpm. I didn't notice this problem before the exhaust installed.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: (flybynight)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>flybynight</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gasp as in out-of-breath. In other words, there really isn't any power being produced. Almost as if someone shut off the oxygen to the combustion chamber.<br>I believe C&D mentioned this in their comparison test last fall (the test we love to hate!!)</TD></TR></TABLE><p>OK, thanks for explaining.<p>What you are saying is more or less correct.<br>The KKK can't maintain it's boost but it should be able to stay near 15 psi to redline.<br>The power will stay near 300 from ~5500 to redline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts