SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sucks. I feel it vibrating even at 35mph. I’m guessing these rotors are undersized for the car. Either that or those emergency stops it makes has left uneven deposits on the rotors. Do the dealership turn the rotors or do they just replace them?

Thanks - Sid

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sucks. I feel it vibrating even at 35mph. I’m guessing these rotors are undersized for the car. Either that or those emergency stops it makes has left uneven deposits on the rotors. Do the dealership turn the rotors or do they just replace them?

Thanks - Sid
They replaced mine, along with the pads, at 30,000 miles under warranty....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
I’m doing a test. I replaced my rear rotors with Stop Tech slotted rotors and OEM pads at ~25,000miles, and just did my front rotors (Stop Tech solid rotors) and RS4 pads at 30,000miles. Not a super scientific test, but the car has been showing signs of warped front rotors for the last 6,000miles. So far, so good. If the fronts make it to 60,000miles without warping, the problem is Volvo’s parts.

I believe the pads are leaving deposits on the rotors. I’m going to take the OEM front rotors (with 30k on them) to a friend with a brake lathe and rig a dial indicator on it to see if they are indeed warped. I noticed the stock front pads have a slit in the middle of them that was packed full of brake dust. Wondering if this is and issue, like that may be leaving deposits of brake junk on the rotors? Say they (rotors) get hot and the deposits adhere to them?

I’ve noticed that in certain conditions (driving in the rain for a while), the vibration is less exaggerated? But, then it will return?

This is my #1 complaint of these cars. The brakes. I’ve never owned a vehicle with such issues with “warped rotors”. It’s embarrassing to be honest. I drove a customer around yesterday, and he noticed the bad brakes. I told him I was swapping the fronts out for aftermarket parts. He has 80,000miles on a 2017 GMC Sierra Denaili diesel 2500, brakes are like new.

My 2016 XC90 had like 3 sets of rotors and pads replaced under warranty in the 50,000miles I owned it for. That’s not normal if you ask me?

I’m looking at a T8 as a next vehicle because people are getting more than 50,000miles on the brakes that came with the vehicle.
This is the ONLY thing that frustrates me with these cars, and it really should’nt.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I’m doing a test. I replaced my rear rotors with Stop Tech slotted rotors and OEM pads at ~25,000miles, and just did my front rotors (Stop Tech solid rotors) and RS4 pads at 30,000miles. Not a super scientific test, but the car has been showing signs of warped front rotors for the last 6,000miles. So far, so good. If the fronts make it to 60,000miles without warping, the problem is Volvo’s parts.

I believe the pads are leaving deposits on the rotors. I’m going to take the OEM front rotors (with 30k on them) to a friend with a brake lathe and rig a dial indicator on it to see if they are indeed warped. I noticed the stock front pads have a slit in the middle of them that was packed full of brake dust. Wondering if this is and issue, like that may be leaving deposits of brake junk on the rotors? Say they (rotors) get hot and the deposits adhere to them?

I’ve noticed that in certain conditions (driving in the rain for a while), the vibration is less exaggerated? But, then it will return?

This is my #1 complaint of these cars. The brakes. I’ve never owned a vehicle with such issues with “warped rotors”. It’s embarrassing to be honest. I drove a customer around yesterday, and he noticed the bad brakes. I told him I was swapping the fronts out for aftermarket parts. He has 80,000miles on a 2017 GMC Sierra Denaili diesel 2500, brakes are like new.

My 2016 XC90 had like 3 sets of rotors and pads replaced under warranty in the 50,000miles I owned it for. That’s not normal if you ask me?

I’m looking at a T8 as a next vehicle because people are getting more than 50,000miles on the brakes that came with the vehicle.
This is the ONLY thing that frustrates me with these cars, and it really should’nt.
Thanks for your post, LowlyOilBurner. From what I understand of your current set-up,

Front - Stoptech solid rotors with RS4 pads.
Rear - Stoptech slotted rotors with OEM pads.
And the car has been showing signs of warped front rotors for the last 6k miles.

So are you trying to say that the front disc and pad combo (which is entirely aftermarket) is showing signs of warping? Just like the OEM combo is doing for many of us?

If yes, that would probably mean something's wrong with the brake distribution profile of the vehicle and not the Rotor/Pad quality/combo itself, right?

Or did you just jumble the front combo for the rears and the rears for the front? In which case the pad being the cause of warping makes total sense.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. Thanks!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks for your post, LowlyOilBurner. From what I understand of your current set-up,

Front - Stoptech solid rotors with RS4 pads.
Rear - Stoptech slotted rotors with OEM pads.
And the car has been showing signs of warped front rotors for the last 6k miles.

So are you trying to say that the front disc and pad combo (which is entirely aftermarket) is showing signs of warping? Just like the OEM combo is doing for many of us?

If yes, that would probably mean something's wrong with the brake distribution profile of the vehicle and not the Rotor/Pad quality/combo itself, right?

Or did you just jumble the front combo for the rears and the rears for the front? In which case the pad being the cause of warping makes total sense.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken. Thanks!
Yes, worded my post wrong. I replaced the rear brakes at 25,000miles, the fronts I did yesterday, so time will tell on them. I’d also like to try the Porterfield RS4 pads in the rear if they are available.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've replaced mine twice so far on a two-year-old car. First time at 21,000 miles and then at 25,000 miles. Both fronts replaced until warranty, recall or whatever you want to blame it on. Fortunately, it has been no questions asked at the Massachusetts dealerships.

I did learn something new the other day - each time you drift out of your lane or try to change lanes without your blinker, the car will engage the brake to push you back into the lane. It could cause additional wear considering there is zero assistance from the steering wheel during this action.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
...each time you drift out of your lane or try to change lanes without your blinker, the car will engage the brake to push you back into the lane. It could cause additional wear considering there is zero assistance from the steering wheel during this action.
Yup. That's similar to the Brake-based torque vectoring in action! I wish Volvo had the better, differential-based torque vectoring system.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set at 60,000 miles. All replaced under warranty. I'm just worried that the next set will actually hold up for a little while then go and they won't honor replacement again since it's technically out of warranty now.

As soon as I'm out of warranty and the job is on my own dime, I'll DIY the pads/rotors, and likely upgrade both.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks - Sid
going in next week to get them done.

i've owned cars in the past that would be notorious for warping/deposits on the rotors. every time it was due to the brakes being undersized.

once this car goes out of warranty, i'm going to get slotted rotors and ceramic pads. other than that, i love this car :)

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
This is the reason I ended up going with Stoptech all around including their big brake kit for the front (6-piston calipers with 380mm 2-piece rotors) so I wouldn't have the warping and squealing.

No issues anymore! :partywave:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
my fave thing to see on SS is WunderW coming into every brake thread to chime in about his unproven stoptech rotor/brake setup. /s

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
my fave thing to see on SS is WunderW coming into every brake thread to chime in about his unproven stoptech rotor/brake setup. /s
And rightly so..

He's currently the only one here with an aftermarket BBK setup (that I know of). And, well, he is proving his Stoptech set-up's worth as I have not heard or read of a single issue that has popped up in the one year of his after-market modification, while, on the other hand, I have read through countless pages of Volvo OEM Rotors warping here on SS. Take it how you will, but I consider that +1 for the after-market and zilch for the OEM rotors/pads.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Dude, get off the China = crap rant

Stoptech has a solid reputation as a quality aftermarket brake manufacturer. Many people from all makes has used them successfully for high performance and racing.

Let’s not get into the fact that my “many posts” are in relation to people having issues with OEM Volvo brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
And rightly so..

He's currently the only one here with an aftermarket BBK setup (that I know of). And, well, he is proving his Stoptech set-up's worth as I have not heard or read of a single issue that has popped up in the one year of his after-market modification, while, on the other hand, I have read through countless pages of Volvo OEM Rotors warping here on SS. Take it how you will, but I consider that +1 for the after-market and zilch for the OEM rotors/pads.
That's a egregious false equivalence. How many tens of thousands xc90s have oe rotrs and pads and how many stoptech aftermarket rotors+pads have been sold?

I (still) have OE (f) rotors and just started a new set of OE pads. Zero squeaks even though I installed it my damned self. Negates his datum, obvs. :rolleye:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here's a flow chart to determine if your brake vibration issue is warped rotors or something else -

IT IS NOT WARPED ROTORS

To get warped rotors, you would have to try to purposely do it. I'm sure the brake fluid would overheat and you would crash first. If you don't believe that, please sent your warped rotors to me free of charge, because they're clearly defective and I will recycle them properly.

There is a new brake pad (compared to the one that came with my 2016 build) that's eliminated the occasional vibration from pad deposits after rainy conditions. Not a hint of vibration during braking after 5k miles or so with the same rotors. We never use the auto hold brake feature.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
That's a egregious false equivalence. How many tens of thousands xc90s have oe rotrs and pads and how many stoptech aftermarket rotors+pads have been sold?

I (still) have OE (f) rotors and just started a new set of OE pads. Zero squeaks even though I installed it my damned self. Negates his datum, obvs. :rolleye:
Of the tens of thousands of Volvo owners, how many Volvo owners are here posting regularly on Swedespeed about their rotors gone bad?? And who knows how many non-Swedespeed members have aftermarket brakes installed and are perfectly happy with them? So let's leave our egregiousness aside for now.

Even I have the same OEM setup. After my initial Front rotor/pad replacement at 7000 miles, I've never had an issue with the newer ones (I'm at 33000 miles now). I'm not trying to downplay the quality of OEM rotors and/or pads. Mine are still running great.

But many people here are still having issues with them even with MY18s and MY19s. Hence, I do plan to seriously look into the aftermarket once I start having issues with the current one and I run out of warranty. The longer my OEMs last, the merrier.

Also, I, personally feel the braking on my V90CC leaves something to be desired. I could definitely use a higher braking force or a bigger rotor with better pads and that's my reason #2 for looking at an aftermarket setup!

Cheers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
So I'm not clear, you are saying it IS warped rotors or no?

Here's a flow chart to determine if your brake vibration issue is warped rotors or something else -

IT IS NOT WARPED ROTORS

To get warped rotors, you would have to try to purposely do it. I'm sure the brake fluid would overheat and you would crash first. If you don't believe that, please sent your warped rotors to me free of charge, because they're clearly defective and I will recycle them properly.

There is a new brake pad (compared to the one that came with my 2016 build) that's eliminated the occasional vibration from pad deposits after rainy conditions. Not a hint of vibration during braking after 5k miles or so with the same rotors. We never use the auto hold brake feature.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is the reason I ended up going with Stoptech all around including their big brake kit for the front (6-piston calipers with 380mm 2-piece rotors) so I wouldn't have the warping and squealing.

No issues anymore!
I’ve been tuning and building cars for 20 years. There is no way on this planet I would pay the cost of stoptech rotors and calipers for a family car. I’ve installed them on track/race cars. I had a set of rotors on my own. But $3500 for a set.... for a car that depreciates at this rate....

Cars in the past that would have this problem I would try different pads and slotted rotors. If it was track car I would add ducting. Napa and Autozone offer 1 yr warranty on most rotors and I would just swap them out on my lift in my shop.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I like modifying my cars and do drive aggressively in mountains sometimes. Love the drive to my moms over the Sierras on Hwy 88 even in the XC90!

The Stoptech kit is not that expensive by the way.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like modifying my cars and do drive aggressively in mountains sometimes. Love the drive to my moms over the Sierras on Hwy 88 even in the XC90!

The Stoptech kit is not that expensive by the way.

i enjoy upgrading like most guys. I'm a gear head but the idea that i have to put on bigger rotors and pads means that the car from the factory just doesn't work. clearly undersized. toyota sequoia first gen was notorious for this problem.

Before i bought this car, i was in love with having the technology of supercharge and turbocharge at the same time. maybe 2.0L is going to get pushed pretty far but 320HP isn't that much on a 2L. but it does worry me that something as simple as brakes are being undersized worries me since that is pretty simple to get right.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts