SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, called a local volvo dealer to inquire about having them install springs if I decide to do it. I was quoted $600 for the job which includes the install, alignment and SUM calibration. Seems high to me but I don't know what others are paying to have this done??? Anyone know when IPD will have more TME's?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: $600 to Install Springs, Align and SUM Cal? (nikhsub1)

Quote, originally posted by nikhsub1 »
Hmm, called a local volvo dealer to inquire about having them install springs if I decide to do it. I was quoted $600 for the job which includes the install, alignment and SUM calibration. Seems high to me but I don't know what others are paying to have this done??? Anyone know when IPD will have more TME's?

Get that in writing and make them stick to it. They'll be sorry.

$200 a corner without alignment is more realistic.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: $600 to Install Springs, Align and SUM Cal? (StaggRLee)

Quote, originally posted by StaggRLee »
Get that in writing and make them stick to it. They'll be sorry.

$200 a corner without alignment is more realistic.
So what you are saying is that this is a pretty good deal... good service dept. too.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Decent, ESPECIALLY for So Cal

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

Not sure what book labor is or what their shop rate is but assuming 4hrs. for the fronts and 2hrs. for the rears @ ~$100/hr sounds like right on to me and you're getting an alignment too. I'd say go for it.

Most dealers either won't touch this kind of work or quote a "scare 'em off price" judging by many people's reports around here.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prodded the guy too. I asked if they would install aftermarket springs on my car, he replied with, "What are they those IPD jobbies?". He gave me the speech that if the springs rattle or the chassis squeaks that they won't be held responsible... He said it would take about 4 hours or so. I really just inquired to see what kind of response I would get about doing aftermarket work like this, he said no problem as if they do it all the time.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: (nikhsub1)

For them, it's income. After all, the guy said himself that the dealer won't be held accountable for any squeaks and rattles. What happens if the noise is a result of an installation screwup? Will they be held responsible?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know mike, perhaps they did some TME's and they had the clank problem with the springs?? Covering his butt? I would hope a dealer would be more than competent to install springs.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: (nikhsub1)

As long as they're seated properly in the seats and perches, once they've settled in you'll be fine would be my guess.

IMO the dealer is just voicing a CYA position if you don't happen to like them for whatever reason. More people have had trouble with non-Volvo installations with damage to the shock sensors, improper seating of the springs, SUM calibration problems etc.

The iPd drop shouldn't cause any problems with an SUM recal. and if you have any concerns beforehand talk to Scott at iPd and offer to provide your svc. mgr. with a name/contact at iPd if they have questions or problems during the install.

Scott will make sure someone knowledgeable will be available to take the call if he isn't able to take it himself. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Sorry. i think that sucks.

an alignment should cost you $60.
recal the sum should not be much.
installing springs should be a $200 job max.

I had my springs AND sway bars installed for $600 labor. then i went to the dealer and got the alignment for $60. i forget what the sum recl cost. but not that much.

the sway bars are WAY more time consuming than springs. tell the dealer to blow you that's a rip off.

go to an independent mechanic. there is nothign "special" about installing springs. any mechanic can do it. the ONLY part of it that is any different from every other car ont he road is they need to be careful when unpluggin the 4C connectors....aside from that...the springs intall on the R is like a zillion other cars out there. you could get it done at a ricer shop for even less.

i'm not saying take yoru car to a hack..i'm just saying, i think $600 for springs is ridiculous. but then again, most dealers have absolutely BS prices. no offense to the guys here who work at dealers...but they have a ton of overhead and they charge up the wazoo for everything.

a small independent volvo mechanic could od it for a lot less.

the ONLY benefit to getting it done at volvo, is that you'll get all the work done at one place, and they then shoudl back the work. my method of getting the springs put in one palce, then having the dealer do the alignment and sum - was a two stop deal...and had soemthign gone wrong...each shop would point the finger at the other guy.

so if you have the money to spare - it's easier and less headache and peace of mind to get the dealer to do it and pay the insane price.

if you want to pinch pennies, go to a smaller shop.

installing springs is not rocket science. i've done it myself on prior cars and it's not hard...and believe me...i'm NO mechanic. if i can do it, anyone can.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear opinions like this. Perhaps the big pictrue I'm getting from all of this is that maybe we should somehow create a list of dealers and shops that people have used and recommend by city or region, it would be really helpful. Since I am in Los Angeles, what and where have people had done to their cars and how was the service?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »

Sean with all due respect. We are talking a dealer quote. For a dealer quote, I think $600 with an alignment is damn reasonable. And peace of mind is worth a lot IMO.

I could get them done for less (but not by much and certainly not for $50 a corner) but then I know a guy who runs an independent Volvo shop who is factory trained/certified and worked for local dealers for over 10 years.

But he doesn't have an alignment rack and I'd still have to have to take it somewhere to have it aligned. He still bills book but just at $20 less per hour.

Other than him or a dealer I wouldn't trust anyone else to do springs on my car. Midas could probably quote $200 for 4 springs but they probably won't if they're not making the coin selling you the springs. On the cheap is usually just that.

It's not rocket science but then it's not a '67 Malibu either.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts

That seems a little high. I just paid $830 to have sway bars, a downpipe, and a straight pipe installed. That also included an alignment and some time spent adjusting the back portion of the exhaust so that it was centered better.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (StaggRLee)

Quote, originally posted by StaggRLee »
Sean with all due respect. We are talking a dealer quote.

I agree. For a dealer, that's good. Let's compare apples to apples. Check hours. I contacted 3 dealers, and they all said between 6-8 hours with the rear swaybar.

JRL's install was 6-7 hours with the rear swaybar.

East coast dealer hourly rate is between $85-$95 / hr.

An alignment is between $85 and $100.

Maybe they'll be nice and "throw in" the SUM alignment. Maybe they'll only charge you 1/2 hour.

Bottom line, if your dealer is asking $600 with the alignment, that's a good price.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Get it done....good price!

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts

Price is fair for Santa Monica area.

The fact that the dealer actually knew that a SUM recal was required, (assuming that is the case), makes it priceless in my mind. (Now if they can just remember to turn the lights on during the recal, you have a real bargin, and a knowledgeable dealer).)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »

an alignment should cost you $60.
recal the sum should not be much.
installing springs should be a $200 job max.

I had my springs AND sway bars installed for $600 labor. then i went to the dealer and got the alignment for $60. i forget what the sum recl cost. but not that much.

the sway bars are WAY more time consuming than springs. tell the dealer to blow you that's a rip off.

go to an independent mechanic. there is nothign "special" about installing springs. any mechanic can do it. the ONLY part of it that is any different from every other car ont he road is they need to be careful when unpluggin the 4C connectors....aside from that...the springs intall on the R is like a zillion other cars out there. you could get it done at a ricer shop for even less.

i'm not saying take yoru car to a hack..i'm just saying, i think $600 for springs is ridiculous. but then again, most dealers have absolutely BS prices. no offense to the guys here who work at dealers...but they have a ton of overhead and they charge up the wazoo for everything.

a small independent volvo mechanic could od it for a lot less.

the ONLY benefit to getting it done at volvo, is that you'll get all the work done at one place, and they then shoudl back the work. my method of getting the springs put in one palce, then having the dealer do the alignment and sum - was a two stop deal...and had soemthign gone wrong...each shop would point the finger at the other guy.

so if you have the money to spare - it's easier and less headache and peace of mind to get the dealer to do it and pay the insane price.

if you want to pinch pennies, go to a smaller shop.

installing springs is not rocket science. i've done it myself on prior cars and it's not hard...and believe me...i'm NO mechanic. if i can do it, anyone can.

Not from a Volvo dealer unless you have a hook up. It is a 4 hour job to lower. At $125 an hour thats $500. 4 wheel alignment on that car varies by dealer but is $100-150 and SUM calibration is not needed.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
for a DEALER price - yeah it's good. I should have been MORE specific. the PRICE sucks (to me) but given it's a dealer - it's expected.

the main point of my post/rant was that deaelrs rape us all and it can be done cheaper elsewhere.

there is a price for peace of mind and convenience.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.