SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Just went to indy mechanic to put car on lift and do some checking for play in engine mounts under load, and to do so, we did "brake torquing" while on the lift. Aka, car up on a lift, brake pedal mashed to the floor, and pushing on the gas in Drive, then throw it in reverse and hit the gas there too, all the while watching the engine from the bottom to see if it was shifting.

While we didnt see any problems with the engine mounts, while doing this test, there appeared to be internal slippage of the transmission where the car would suddenly buck and "kick". This occurred mostly in Reverese. Like it would rev up to 2k, then suddenly "KICK" with rpm drop, then come back up.

I know the 06 6 speed tranny's had that valve body issue, i just dont know if this meets the symptoms. I also have noticed something similar on the highway when i go full throttle and the tranny goes to do a multiple downshift like 6 --> 3 or something. Does this sound like valve body?

Also, if it is, which are the cars that share this same transmission? Its like the Ford 500, Fusion, etc, right? I'd want to get one of the ones with the fixed valve body, so thats 07+? Doesnt look like its gonna die right away (its been like this for a while, not really any worse), but i want to be prepared & get #'s from local trans shops (coastal CT).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
That is not abnormal on the TF80SC gearbox. You may find you have a fault code, even with no warning light or message on dash. The fault will be overtemp yada yada yada. I don't remember the DTC number. It sets often if you do stall testing (effectively what was being done by locked brake and throttle apply) on any TF80SC 6 speed.

The coarse downshift is another matter but again may not necessarily mean anything is failing. The coarse downshift is a symptom of linear solenoid issues, the valve body disease.
The solenoid control learned via shift adaptation may lead to way less than perfect downshifts when the solenoids have bore wear.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting - i did a little more reading and it seems like there's only a few solenoids in the transmission, so does anyone know what a good shop should charge to switch the solenoids, either using JY parts or brand new? also, does anyone have a recommended trans shop in CT?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The sub-frame needs to be dropped to remove the Valve Body and have the solenoids replaced and that could be a couple hours in labor. Also would need a new VB gasket but that's really only like $5, Solenoids will be around $300-$400 for a set. When was the last time your rear diff fluid was changed? if ever.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
changed all fluid about 10k miles ago, including rear diff, angle gear etc. might not have done the aoc one...

so you're saying that changing the valve body does not require separating the trans and the engine or removing the trans?

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
changed all fluid about 10k miles ago, including rear diff, angle gear etc. might not have done the aoc one...

so you're saying that changing the valve body does not require separating the trans and the engine or removing the trans?

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook
I don't know about your transmission, but my '05 GT you don't need to remove the transmission to remove the Valve Body, just have to lower the subframe. Hopefully someone with knowledge of your transmission will have an answer for that.

I have the same kickback reverse issue you have and also a 2-3 and 3-2 shift flare also. Bought the 3 rostra solenoid kit on ebay, a case of 3309 and new gasket for my AW55-51SN and hopefully it will fix my problems. Luckly since its been cold I haven't had any major problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know about your transmission, but my '05 GT you don't need to remove the transmission to remove the Valve Body, just have to lower the subframe. Hopefully someone with knowledge of your transmission will have an answer for that.

I have the same kickback reverse issue you have and also a 2-3 and 3-2 shift flare also. Bought the 3 rostra solenoid kit on ebay, a case of 3309 and new gasket for my AW55-51SN and hopefully it will fix my problems. Luckly since its been cold I haven't had any major problems.

Yeah, hopefully that works out for you! I didnt see a kit for the 6 speed with a price listed, and i'm definitely gonna wait until it gets worse.

But... i was reading about Seafoam Trans Tune, that its supposed to help fix solenoid issues if they're off due to gunk build up. Has anyone used Trans Tune on one of these transmissions? Results?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
AW55 with Reverse release is not normal. Solenoid issues can do that because STH may be affected and the line pressure can be lower than the solenoid duty cycle should be producing. An inherent weakness in 5 and 6 speeds is using adaptive process to infer fluid pressure instead of having a liner pressure sensor and actually measuring it.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Yeah, hopefully that works out for you! I didnt see a kit for the 6 speed with a price listed, and i'm definitely gonna wait until it gets worse.

But... i was reading about Seafoam Trans Tune, that its supposed to help fix solenoid issues if they're off due to gunk build up. Has anyone used Trans Tune on one of these transmissions? Results?
I tried Trans Tune and it helped smooth out the shifts for a couple days but the problem came back.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried Trans Tune and it helped smooth out the shifts for a couple days but the problem came back.

Did you do a trans fluid flush after that or just added it and ran with it?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Did you do a trans fluid flush after that or just added it and ran with it?
Added trans tune before my flush.I drove for a day before the flush. Trans Tune is suppose to loosen up debris so you don't wanna add it to fresh fluid and leave it in the transmission. So the next day I flushed my transmission and added new fluid and it drove and shifted great for a day or 2 and went back to the rough shifts again.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i was trying to find the valve body on Tasca and had to go to VIDA as Tasca has nothing on the S60R tranny...(?)

Is this the part Number? 31259456

Its called "Control System", its $1000 tasca price (Right price range), and in VIDA it shows a diff part num up to 2006, but with the above new part number superceding the old. Anyone know where to buy the solenoids separately for the R? I see some stuff from Sonnax but havent been able to get a price online. Has anyone sourced a replacement valve body?

Looking up the R&R procedure on VIDA its on the front of the tranny - doesnt seem impossible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts