SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with an '06 or' 07 geartronic had an angle gear or collar sleeve failure? Every post about it that I've seen has been a manual or the 5 speed geartronic.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not me. 75K on an '07 GT. Hasn't even needed a reseal. Subscribing to see other's experiences.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
06+ have stronger collar gears and it being an automatic it gets to control the amount of abuse (or not) that the angle gear takes. I've still heard of 06+ 6MTs grenading the collar gear, but I chalk that up to abuse, not premature wear.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you're right because part of the reason I'm willing to sacrifice the fun of a MT (aside from GTs being a little cheaper and the fact that driving a manual in traffic sucks) is the hope of greater reliability due to this and the lack of a failure prone slave cylinder.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I hope you're right because part of the reason I'm willing to sacrifice the fun of a MT (aside from GTs being a little cheaper and the fact that driving a manual in traffic sucks) is the hope of greater reliability due to this and the lack of a failure prone slave cylinder.
My '06 GT failed around 60k miles. The technician said it was unusual for GT's. I drive a lot in the wet snow with some immediate traction at some spots on the road, which probably caused a lot of stress to the AWD.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Different subject but all things considered a MT is about a half second faster 0-60 than a 06-07GT.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
True, because it launches harder. However if you look at this topic you'll see that in everything except 0-60 times the GT actually beats out the MT because the MT drops off boost during shifts while the GT doesn't.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...e-faster-than-MT-Rs...-see-G-Tech-data-inside

Edit: Of course the MT will be faster on a road course because... well it's a manual. I'm not saying the auto is better. It's worse from a pure performance standpoint. It's just better from a reliability standpoint and for my purposes I'm willing to give up a little performance (that I'd probably never put to good use anyway) to mostly negate two major potential reliability headaches.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha sorry I should have known better than to get into that ;)

Anyway I'm just happy knowing the auto isn't massively slower than the manual like it is in most cars.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Different subject but all things considered a MT is about a half second faster 0-60 than a 06-07GT.
Only if you like abusing your clutch at every launch...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts