SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The biggest baddest Intercooler MTE makes and IPD sells is finally on my R. Butt dyno says it was worth it, but should be even more noticeable after the softloader soon becomes a reality! The low end throttle response is vastly improved along some improvement in the midrange and topend acceleration. This was a 9 hour job by my extremely talented Volvo mechanic, with help of Scott's stage3 video, and $3K later it's shoehorned into the car. I will post some pics as soon as I can find my missing camera.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 6" MTE Intercooler Biggest & baddest MTE IC installed (Rangeball)

Here's a few quick & dirty photos will take some more with Canon SLR this weekend

Modified by s40R at 9:23 PM 4-19-2007

·
Registered
457 Posts
Re: 6" MTE Intercooler Biggest & baddest MTE IC installed (s40R)

wow.

Are you going to leave that naked like that? Maybe it's just our roads here but i'm glad we have those little horizontal runners infront of our rads becuase i'm sure they've saved my car before, they have taken QUITE a beating and not just the normal paint chipping off.

How much modifcation to the bumper was required? Did you use the stock pipes or was the whole intake replumbed?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: 6" MTE Intercooler Biggest & baddest MTE IC installed (ibanezplayer)

Thats the exact same one I have on mine. Extensive cutting of the bumper was required. Also the bumper support beam had to be cut a little. To make it look nice, I had wire loom, cut lengh-wise, and lined the edges of the cut bumper with it for a smoother look.

On mine all pipes were from MTE.

Modified by ArtVandelay0023 at 11:11 AM 5-4-2007

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: 6" MTE Intercooler Biggest & baddest MTE IC installed (ArtVandelay0023)

What's the advantage of running a 6" thick IC as opposed to other's 3" models?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: 6" MTE Intercooler Biggest & baddest MTE IC installed (mike_c70)

I'm assuming better flow?, higher efficiency?, capable of supporting more power (don't know exactly how much, but more). more direct exposure to airflow as the entire core is exposed at the valence grill. Other IC's are taller/thinner thus much is concealed behind the front fascia.

I don't know more about the specifics but I'll ask MTE

Modified by ArtVandelay0023 at 1:56 PM 4-20-2007

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts

wow, crazy. that thing is thick as hell. looks like it fits inside of the opening of the stock bumper the best though, so it makes me think about switching from the taller but thinner core, to a thicker but shorter core.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: 6" MTE Intercooler Biggest & baddest MTE IC installed (GiRaff3)

I think it all depends on your application. Thicker is not always better. Longer is not always better. Taller is not always better. Take a look at the Bell Intercooler thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...66016

The Bell intercooler is not so long, thinner, & greater height.
This one is long & fat but not so tall.

To play the devils advocate I would assume that more surface area is better (which the MTE IC lacks) but whos to say what happens when you double the thickness. Again, no expert here.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ArtVandelay0023 »

Looks like you had to do some cutting on the frame?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 6" MTE Intercooler Biggest & baddest MTE IC installed (ibanezplayer)

Quote, originally posted by ibanezplayer »

wow.
Are you going to leave that naked like that? Maybe it's just our roads here but i'm glad we have those little horizontal runners infront of our rads becuase i'm sure they've saved my car before, they have taken QUITE a beating and not just the normal paint chipping off.

How much modifcation to the bumper was required? Did you use the stock pipes or was the whole intake replumbed?

Thinking about having some aluminum valance pieces welded across the front to protect the IC.

In the end about six inches of the lower plastic bumper cover had to be cut away so this would fit. We opted not to cut any of the aluminum bumper since it connects to both of the frame rails and is a structural piece.

Regards

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thats the exact same one I have on mine. Extensive cutting of the bumper was required. Also the bumper support beam had to be cut a little. To make it look nice, I had wire loom, cut lengh-wise, and lined the edges of the cut bumper with it for a smoother look.

On mine all pipes were from MTE.

Hi ArtVandelay0023,

Nice IC and beautiful car color but of course i'm not biased...I pooched bringing my camera to the install but I do remember the front of the Car lookin very naked.

I have all of the MTE pipes and Samco hoses except for the top pressure pipes and the samco silicone fitting in between. Missing in action ??? I haven't received the last of the goods yet (top pressure pipe from ???).

Modified by s40R at 11:01 PM 4-21-2007

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm assuming better flow?, higher efficiency?, capable of supporting more power (don't know exactly how much, but more). more direct exposure to airflow as the entire core is exposed at the valence grill. Other IC's are taller/thinner thus much is concealed behind the front fascia.

I don't know more about the specifics but I'll ask MTE

Modified by ArtVandelay0023 at 1:56 PM 4-20-2007

It's Tropical IC and I don't live in the tropics I'd wager it's the Best Flow currently available for R

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Josh,
I am missing the top 2 pipes, silicone fittings and hose clamps in the top of the MTE picture. The ones that cross over the engine and feed to the turbo

Art V's picture below shows the pressure pipe (2pieces) silicone fittings and the hose clamps going over the top of the engine PM if you have any or all of these.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts

Quote, originally posted by s40R »
Here's a few quick & dirty photos will take some more with Canon SLR this weekend

PSST!!! I can see what your license plate says under that paper!! Keep pratce!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (ZuluKingCrowned)

No it's just you
Seriously though it's a 6 inch FMIC they also make 3 inch FMIC that installs abit easier. The cores come from some place in sweden but the end tanks are custom welded for the Volvos. I like to think of them a s art on wheels

Quote, originally posted by ZuluKingCrowned »
Nevermind, friend was mocking design. haha. Is it just us or are those endtanks horribly designed?

pratce? not sure what you mean

Quote, originally posted by TGO »

Keep pratce!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Re: (s40R)

I think he means keep practicing trying to take pictures so that your license plate doesn't show through the paper.

Quote, originally posted by s40R »
pratce? not sure what you mean

Looks good though!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Oz60)

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts