SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read many reviews at the 6 and 12 month point, must say I sit here knocking on wood because I've had none of the issues posted. Is that a jinx to say?<p>Delivered in Oct 2005 so actually an 7+ month review but who's really counting when you're having fun? 6,500 miles and here's my take:<p><U>Highs</U>:<br>-Solid build and feel<br>-That awsome powerplant, smooth torque all the way to redline<br>-Superb handling around town and tight turn radius in parking lots<br>-One of a kind looks, turns heads at every stoplight, looks fast sitting still<br>-Clean crisp audio and love it even more with the new Volvo sub<br>-Awesome gas milage...ave 33 on the last trip of 800mi (and I tend to pass with passion on the freeway). 23-25 around town, hard as you want to drive it, although am judicious with the jackrabbit starts.<br>-Climate control, cools the car in seconds<br>-Flat out blast to drive<p><U>Lows</U>:<br>-Highway steering, pulls too much left or right depending on the lane (crowned roads)<br>-Seat comfort on long trips<br>-Wondering when the SSS will begin - 12K is my guess<br>-Putting the compass in the upper right of the mirror. With blind spots all over, we need all the mirror we can get on that side.<br>-That first gear downshift (clunk) when very slowly coasting a parking lot. Had two other loaners during serivce/warranty work and they were the same. Nature of the beast.<p><U>Warranty work</U>:<br>-Rattles in the trim, rear. Corrected in first month and not returned<br>-Three of the four wheels were out of alignment. Guess they strapped it down pretty good on the travel trailer.<p><U>Still wondering "what it is":</U><br>-Slight lunging when coasting forward w/not under power. Feels like turbo is kicking in and out, dealer says "dunno".<br>-Sides of the seats are cracking and tiny pieces have fell out. Have to really look to see it. Dealer says the sides are vinyl - say what? They documented and will monitor.<br>-Climate control "bizzt (pause) bizzt" (high tone/low tone) in the dash long after it should be done adjusting when car first starts up. Started this just a few days ago, know it's the climate control doing it's normal cycle inside the dash but should not continue for 3 to 5 minutes. Never did it before.<p>All considered, a great looking fun car. Give it an 8. Shucked out 29K for the works minus climate package. <p>Keep it tucked under a really nice Noah car cover that I recommend. Custom snug fit and even has a beanie for the shark fin. Keeps the dust out and is easy to clean, pretty good with the water too.<p>For what it's worth...<p><br>

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: 6 Month Review 2005 T5 (Ride S40T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Ride S40T</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-Slight lunging when coasting forward w/not under power. Feels like turbo is kicking in and out</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Does it happen if you put the GT in manual mode? I am thinking maybe the torque converter lockup is hunting. This is normal, if noticably annoying.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-Sides of the seats are cracking and tiny pieces have fell out. Have to really look to see it. Dealer says the sides are vinyl - say what?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Only the "seating surfaces" are leather. The back and sides are vinyl. Shouldn't be cracking of course.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
109 Posts

I'm surprised by the seat comfort con. I sat in the S40's seats and found them to be the best I've ever sat in, although I was only in them for a few minutes.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: 6 Month Review 2005 T5 (Geniusjustin)

My wife's R is in the shop right now and they gave us an s40 t5 awd. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the car it is very nice. The seats are pretty comfy, the car handles well and it seems to have decent power.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 6 Month Review 2005 T5 (Geniusjustin)

Don't know how to pinpoint why the seat is not cumfy on the long trips taken. Almost all the miles on this car are applied in 2-7 hour lengths. Just can't get situated, they're not real bad just expected more.<p>For the question posted by eurotrash...figured SSS would come around because of the possibility of some link to the lunging/lurching when coasting. Lunging doesn't bother anything and as you stated it's just annoying. Have to feel for it these days as it's become a routine driving experience, almost unnoticeable.<p>tmtalpey; have not played with the manual mode is several months (when this began) but think I do remember trying it out to see if it made a difference. Best of my foggy recollection, it didn’t, was still there. And since you mention, it does have the same properties as a manual shift (any car/truck) when they occasionally lunge when coming to a stop while in gear, just not that pronounced. Will play with it again if given a chance to drive this week.<p>Definitely can live with these small anomalies. None of them are disqualifiers for the fun this machine has provided. And the uniqueness. <br>

·
Registered
69 Posts
what do you mean rattles in trim, rear??? (what exactly rattles) cause my biggest complaint is that the car rattles all over, is this something they can fix

·
Registered
555 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Ride S40T</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-Climate control "bizzt (pause) bizzt" (high tone/low tone) in the dash long after it should be done adjusting when car first starts up. Started this just a few days ago, know it's the climate control doing it's normal cycle inside the dash but should not continue for 3 to 5 minutes. Never did it before.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Isn't that the infamous "Barking Dog" syndrome? Just picked up my V50 on Friday (pictures coming soon) and it started doing that already at 300km. Or should I say, I noticed it at 300km but it may have started earlier. No SSS yet (figers crossed)!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts