SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished my oil change and noticed that most of the oil that ended up in my engine was 5w20. Apparently the same shelf that had 5w30 in the front also had 5w20 and I didn't notice that i had grabbed some and didn't check before throwing it in assuming I had 5W30. :facepalm:

Anyway, is this a problem with a T5 engine? My understanding is it is a bit thin and may not have the shear viscosity that is needed. I don't beat on the car and cooler weather is on the way.

Just run with it and change it out in 3k? Thoughts?

·
Registered
605 Posts
How many qts of 5w20 did you put in? out of 6

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6 qts?? It takes that much??

Just kidding, it was 4 out of 6. Hence the thought that I'm running about 5w23.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I have no qualms about running the '20 in engines designed for it, like my Camry and other late model vehicles. However, running it in an older engine is really a toss up. I don't think 5w20 even existed back in the late 90s.

For a definitive answer, post your question up on the bobistheoilguy forums and you will get responses that MORE than answer your question. Someone may also have already posted about using 20wt in whiteblocks on that forum too, so a search may very well turn up what you need.

For the time being, I'm sure it's not harmful, and you might even eke out a fraction of a mpg extra too. :)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Change the oil again and be safe.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After posting here and Matt's and reading on Bob the oil guy the consensus is no harm done as long as you don't beat the car. The shear viscosity is a little low if you are going to push our cars to the max. I figure I'll run it for a bit and change it out early.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Sounds like a safe verdict. There are some really good 5w20s out there, so there's no sense wasting it right away.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Change the oil again and be safe.
Indeed. If it is synthetic, leave for 3K and change. Otherwise, I would change it at your first opportunity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts