SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Hawaii and for this climate Volvo recommends 5W-40 in my 2005 V70 2.5T. I couldn't find any so for my first oil change on this car I used 5W-30. The car burns a little oil so I want to try the more viscous stuff but...

5W-40 isn't sold in any stores here so I'd probably end up with 10W-40 instead which I'm sure would be fine considering 10W-30 is approved.

But my daily commute is only 2.4 miles (7 minutes) so the oil doesn't warm up completely so maybe the thinner 5W-30 is better? But most of my miles are driven on the weekends, mainly on the highway and cruising the country roads.

Should I stick with 5W-30 or switch to 10W-40?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
5W40? Seriously? It never gets above 88F..in a heat wave!
I run synth 5W30 in 110F heat and although its pointless to beat hard on the car in that kind of heat (heat soak and all) I have not had any negative symptoms over the last 5 years.
Rather than switch to goopier oil, I'd try to run down where its going. Don't know the mileage, so I can't ascertain if its time to begin looking at a loose turbo, but going thicker can only do bad things to all the small runs like turbo lines and the PCV if you aren't pre-emptively changing the oil long before recommended intervals - esp with the shorter drive.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
5W40? Seriously? It never gets above 88F..in a heat wave!
I run synth 5W30 in 110F heat and although its pointless to beat hard on the car in that kind of heat (heat soak and all) I have not had any negative symptoms over the last 5 years.
Rather than switch to goopier oil, I'd try to run down where its going. Don't know the mileage, so I can't ascertain if its time to begin looking at a loose turbo, but going thicker can only do bad things to all the small runs like turbo lines and the PCV if you aren't pre-emptively changing the oil long before recommended intervals - esp with the shorter drive.
I went to the mechanic and had them check and they said it's not leaking oil, just burning. But there was also a little oil residue on the turbocharger housing. According to this thread that is normal? http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/s60-2-5t-oil-leak-30158/

That can't be where the oil is going because it was like 1/2qt gone in 1000 miles. BUT since then in the last 2000 miles it hasn't lost any oil. Weird

But yes it does get to over 88F. It was in the 90s many times year. Thanks global warming.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I know the traffic situation out there but you MUST get it somewhere to drive at 50-60 MPH for 30 minutes every so often
At least it's not cold with short trips.
If you don't go over 50 mph. leave it 3rd gear once in a while to get the oil hot

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know the traffic situation out there but you MUST get it somewhere to drive at 50-60 MPH for 30 minutes every so often
At least it's not cold with short trips.
If you don't go over 50 mph. leave it 3rd gear once in a while to get the oil hot
On the weekends I drive all over the island, at least 30 minute trips each way, and usually more like an hour-- The beaches are very far from where I live. I even redline it at least once a week

Also during the week I usually make at least one longer trip to Costco or the mall to buy women's clothes... Not for me, for photo shoots

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
That's good, longer trips are necessary on a regular basis.

I run 10w40 year round here in Colorado where it gets to 100 in the summer and the 20's in the winter and I've never had a problem, 175k on my V70 now and zero oil burning or leaking between changes. Looks like either I got a great car or I'm doing something right.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
that's not such a bad thing. i run rotella in all of my 4.0's because pushrods and flat tappet.
higher pressure additives is what makes it a "diesel" oil. They can be detrimental to catalytic converters, but these days a modern "diesel" oil has about the same amount of ZDDP as all the oils did 15 years ago.
http://classiccars.about.com/od/mai...-The-Urban-Legend-This-Motor-Oil-Additive.htm

you can literally spend days and days reading about oils and people's personal preferences. You will likely not get two of the same answers anywhere.
I'd probably put 10w-40 in it. you're not going to get cold enough to need a 5 weight oil equivalent. hell, I run 15w40 rotella year round here, and had no issues turning over jeep 4 liters in -15 weather last winter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does more viscous oil have an advantage? I always figured it would have a thicker thin film and therefore protect better on startup before flowing oil gets everywhere, but I can't find any data to confirm that

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Higher viscosity oils will have a higher film strength, more stable at higher temps, and will increase oil pressure which will offer better protection, but they also have a higher resistance to flow and more drag which will increase heat, reduce oil cooling (if the OE designed the engines oil to also cool parts) and tax fuel economy because the engine will need to work harder to pump it. I'm sure between the oil choices you have listed that these affects are minimal.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
BTW the Shell Rotella T6 isn't synthetic
Neither are most "Synthetics" in North America.
http://www.maryngroup.com/about-mar...ion/item/180-synthetic-conventional-base-oils
Synthetic as a marketing term
Groups III, IV, V are all referred to as "synthetic" by oil marketers. *This is because even though Group III oils are derived from*distilled*crude the purification process they are put through results in a fluid that is very similar if not identical to some PAO or ester based Group IV base stocks.

Now how about A1/B1 vs A3/B3 vs A5/B5

HAhahah... I wouldn't sweat it. My ultimate recommendation.
1. Make sure there is oil in the engine
2. Change it often.

Myself: M1 0W40 @ 5kmiles or 6months with Volvo Filter.

I could go longer, I could use a different oil/filter, but it's what helps me sleep at night and that is what's important. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neither are most "Synthetics" in North America.
http://www.maryngroup.com/about-mar...ion/item/180-synthetic-conventional-base-oils

Now how about A1/B1 vs A3/B3 vs A5/B5

HAhahah... I wouldn't sweat it. My ultimate recommendation.
1. Make sure there is oil in the engine
2. Change it often.

Myself: M1 0W40 @ 5kmiles or 6months with Volvo Filter.

I could go longer, I could use a different oil/filter, but it's what helps me sleep at night and that is what's important. :D
Yes there are different base stocks but I think any full synth is still better than a conventional

I may get the Pennzoil made from natural gas next time

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Depends. I'll go to Mr.Lube if my time is tight, or CT if I want to DIY. Haven't really shopped around for a better price.
I noticed that Mobil 1 0w40 4.4L is on sale at CT right now for $32.

I'm locked into Mobil 1 now as they're the only ones offering 4.4L sizes here. The 4.4L + 1L pack is perfect for my V70 and my other cars take 4.4L. I hate dealing with leftover oil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts