SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Welcome to SwedeSpeed!
Every spring there is a dragon event for C30s and every fall we have the Volvo Dragon Slayers even for all Volvos. Nothing else is officially planned, but a few people make occasional trips to the dragon. I'm personally going to be back at Fontana next Friday for Touge Fest.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks very much! I am definitely interested in finding other members in the Raleigh-Durham (North Carolina) area so if you know of any or how to find them please let me know!... I've already marked myself on the Volvo P2 VR/SR owners map and am using a local shop rather than the dealership to do most of the upkeep on the car...

Looking forward to meeting the Volvo community in person!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thanks very much! I am definitely interested in finding other members in the Raleigh-Durham (North Carolina) area so if you know of any or how to find them please let me know!... I've already marked myself on the Volvo P2 VR/SR owners map and am using a local shop rather than the dealership to do most of the upkeep on the car...

Looking forward to meeting the Volvo community in person!
What local shop are you going with?? So far Ive been able to do my own work, at least with R for life's help. I have vida/dice if you ever need a scan.

Welcome to SS!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
What local shop are you going with?? So far Ive been able to do my own work, at least with R for life's help. I have vida/dice if you ever need a scan.

Welcome to SS!!
Dude, I'd love to meet up with you someday and learn a little more about our cars... It'd be really cool to see VIDA/DiCE in action too! I'm thinking about getting an older computer and setting up VIDA as well so it would be great to pick your brain on how it works!

The shop I've gone to is called "Reeve-Smith"... I let them do an oil change on the car as soon as I got it down here from Conneticut and then a week later I had them do a transmission flush... They seem to be good guys but when I told them that my low beam headlights seem to be pointed way too low they charged me $97 for a SUM Calibration and headlight aiming... But honestly I can't tell that ANYTHING has changed :-/... I figured I'd take it as a learning point that I NEED to get VIDA/DICE on my own computer so I don't get ass raped anytime I take the car in for something that I SHOULD be able to do myself...

I live up in North-West Raleigh, near Brier Creek... Let me know when you're free!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you know when the 2017 Tail of the Dragon will be?

Jeff
2012 C70 Inscription

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
No official dates yet. The last two years we went on labor day weekend which helps accommodate many people's work and school schedules. However, last year the roads were slow and the resort was packed with two weddings, a church retreat, and a family reunion, and a biker club. But the year before that, Fontana and the Dragon were like a ghost town; we practically had the whole place to ourselves. So we may do labor day weekend again.

Unfortunately, the official tail of the dragon even calendar only covers car/bike clubs and not other gathers that can cause excessive traffic.

August will be our first (hopefully annual) Volvo meet at Pikes Peak.
November is Touge Fest, which is a more intense driving weekend at the Dragon.
So we'll definitely plan to have the 6th annual Volvo Dragon Slayers meet sometime in September or October, but official dates are TBD until we can get a better idea of the 2017 Dragon calendar. Dates are usually decided in May, after C30s Conquer the Dragon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
As I mentioned once before, I used to organize Subaru meets up there (ever since 2003) and I would be glad to offer up some AWESOME driving routes / options to keep youguys away from the traffic ;)

When you do decide to start posting about the next dragon meet, be sure to start a newly titled thread to make it easy to find and seperate / organize details of the new meet :)

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Definitely open to local suggestions!

Last year as a group, we decided it would be more fun to do more (free) social activities than just driving. It's fun driving around with a bunch of Volvos, but some of the best moments of the trip are when we're out of our cars.

When planning starts for the next event, there will be a new thread titled "6th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers."

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was able to recover the webpage that I'd made back in 2008 for the Subaru NASIOC meet in the blue ridge mountains... The data is raw webpage data as the hosting company I used shut down free accounts a few years ago... When I asked for the information back all they could provide was a very basic (I believe it's called HTML) so I have been sorting through the lines of web page data and pulling out the information...

Should I start a post relating to date selection??

I can include options for drive routes and lodging as well if you like... I'll start producing the google Maps and save them for review by the event organizer...

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
It's been a few years since I've done any web design, but I'm also familiar with HTML if you need help. Depending on how it was written, you may be able to just throw the code into a program like Dream Weaver to generate a rough preview of the webpage.

Since there seems to be interest in initiating planning, I have created a thread for the 6th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers. Let the planning begin!

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's been a few years since I've done any web design, but I'm also familiar with HTML if you need help. Depending on how it was written, you may be able to just throw the code into a program like Dream Weaver to generate a rough preview of the webpage.

Since there seems to be interest in initiating planning, I have created a thread for the 6th Annual Volvo Dragon Slayers. Let the planning begin!
Whooo!!!

I'll throw in some ideas and with you being a Mod, you can change the info around and edit the posts as the dates, events, lodging and drives become more clear to everyone...

** There is a rather strong possibility that I actually WON'T be able to make it to the event this year as I am getting married August 26th and will likely be on honeymoon into the first or second week of September :( **

·
Registered
388 Posts
** There is a rather strong possibility that I actually WON'T be able to make it to the event this year as I am getting married August 26th and will likely be on honeymoon into the first or second week of September :( **[/QUOTE]

Congrats, man!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Congrats, man!
Thanks! I figure it's best that I keep car stuff out of the mix until she is happily settled in the new house and married... I might be able to get away with a little more after that :p

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Fontana was the first stop on my honeymoon. We explored a lot of the local roads, hiking trails, and water falls. I married a car girl. ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
it would be great if everyone was a car person. Not just a select few guys and even fewer girls.

·
Super Moderator
15,172 Posts
61 - 77 of 77 Posts