21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will be attending, just got myself a room up there. Will be arriving on Friday as well. Going to be staying for two nights to be able to do some hiking with the family after driving on the Dragon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What kind of radios do you use? I was looking into getting some for the trip. Seems there is basic ones to full out ham radio radios.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Cool. I'll bring my boat radio. it's got the GMRS22 on it. Spent Saturday detailing the car and packing the trunk. She's in the garage ready to go for when I get home from WI on 9/2. I'll leave Nashville about 5pm. Probably won't be at the dam til 10pm.

Side note, I'll have my Segway MiniPro to ride around if anyone wants to try it out.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Here is an updated attendees list. If you are on this list and not attending, or if you are not on this list and plan on attending, please let me know! I would like to get a rough head count...

MyNameIdeasWereTaken - C30
adamyeti - S40
brad1367 - C30
ricks60R - C30
JRC3 - C30
bob82pigdog - V70
Trivolvo - C30
redneckitengineer - C70
tchnprgrmr - S60R
TheBelgian - C30
Thasten - ?

As mentioned above, we will be departing at 9:00AM from the General store. If you are not with us at that point in time, please use the schedule (first post) to determine where our group will be and roughly what time.

Don't forget to bring a walkie talkie radio! We'll be on Channel 3 sub 0.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hate to miss this again but the car is still without brakes! Dang. You guys have fun and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can't wait for this weekend, I will be there with my V60 Polestar to put it through it paces. Just got some radios as well.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Saturday's drive will be about 180 miles in total, with multiple stops for pictures and stretching your legs. It may sound like a lot of driving, but the twisty roads and scenery (plus all the Volvos) will keep you happily engaged. For those who wish to map out our route, here are the main destinations that we will be visiting.

Starting point at Fontana Village General Store, 300 Woods Road, Fontana Dam, NC 28733
BP Gas Station, 7530 W Hwy 19, Bryson City, NC 28713
Clingmans Dome Visitor Center, Bryson City, NC 28713
The Sinks Bridge, Old State Highway 73 Scenic, Gatlinburg, TN 37738
Dragon Pitt Inn & BBQ, 4407 Calderwood Highway, Maryville, TN 37801
Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort, 17548 Tapoco Road, Robbinsville, NC 28771
Fontana Dam, NC 28733

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Our dragon pictures are up! Remember that some of the photographer sites had multiple locations along the dragon, so you may see your pictures in more than one time slot.
We started off on the dragon a little after 3:45PM.

129Slayer
Killboy
129Photos
MoonshinePhotos

·
Registered
123 Posts
I only found our pics on 129Slayer and Moonshine. The other two I couldn't find anything, ho hum. I'll post my photos/videos to icloud tonight and share the link.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I only found our pics on 129Slayer and Moonshine. The other two I couldn't find anything, ho hum. I'll post my photos/videos to icloud tonight and share the link.
They're up on all of them. Took a lot of page scrolling to find them. Last year they set up a folder for all our Volvos, but we're lumped under sporty cars instead.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Great pics! Next year, we'll plan a route that doesn't involve quite as much driving. More social time and looking at the cars, than just sitting in traffic.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts