SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, did some quick searching, couldn't really find an answer to this one.

I have a set of 5mm spacers and the car also has 2 piece rotors, so hub space is limited. Today I test fitted the 5mm spacers on the hub. There is still space left to mount the wheel, but the wheel wont just hang there like before- I need to hold it in place now.

Is there a minimum for recommended hub space when it comes to spacers without lips on them?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Do not use a universal spacer. Only hubcentric

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Not an expert, but as long as there is some hub lip there to center the wheel, it might be OK. I would just be safe and get hub centric spacers though.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
How much of the hub lip is sticking out beyond the spacers in mm? I believe the hub lip itself is 10mm.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hub-centric spacers aren't necessary. They're nice and may prevent some vibration at certain speeds, but if you don't have them just tighten the lug bolts evenly in a criss-cross pattern (as you should always do). I have non-hub-centric spacers and I have zero issues.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The only worry would be properly centering the wheel. Like djkronik said, as long as the wheel is centered, it's gonna be fine. The common misconception is that the hub supports the weight of the car. That's not the case. There's plenty of cars that are lug centric where there's no hub lip.

As long as there is even a small amount of lip for the hub bore to go over, you'll be ok. The friction between the wheel and the mounting surface is what bears all the weight. The tightening of the bolts obviously increases that friction.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive probably got less than 5mm less on the hub. I figured it would be alright...just wondering what all of you thought. Having the wheel centered and torqued to spec is no problem, I've got the torque wrench and all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts