SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted a couple threads here concerning my PV. Well I finally have it back home in the garage. After a 6 month stint in my brother's garage (San Jose, Ca) it came home last Monday and well let's just say, the San Jose rats liked the car. Now I'm going to have to strip it completely, wash it and begin again. At any rate, I'm looking for a service manual for this car, hopefully a .pdf. When I was originally looking into this project, a couple years ago, I thought someone here was talking about a .pdf that is available, but I may be mistaken. Also it is missing the driver side wing window and frame, the inner frame that goes around the driver's window opening and the chain/cable for the window on pass side is broken. Not sure if any of this is available any more. Otherwise it seems in good order, rear passenger pan needs replacing due to rat urine from years past. No other serious rust issues so far. Where are the most rust susceptible areas on these beauties? Just making a list of things as I go along cleaning and taking apart. The engine is rebuilt already by yours truly in my machine shop about 8 years ago.
Really appreciate the help I've gotten on this forum :)
Paul

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have some manuals in PDF for the 444. I think you and I may have PM'd on here about it, and you asked for one or two sections of it at the time.

Let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings from Florida,

I also just started on a '58 444 restoration. Let's keep in touch. I'm getting ready to cut out and replace front and rear floor pans along with some other structural pieces underneath. I removed 30 years of carpet, jute pad, rubber pad and glue over the weekend. Almost 20 pounds of crap came out. Each owner had been putting new layers over old. A real mess.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
No wonder the floors are toast.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings from Florida,

I also just started on a '58 444 restoration. Let's keep in touch. I'm getting ready to cut out and replace front and rear floor pans along with some other structural pieces underneath. I removed 30 years of carpet, jute pad, rubber pad and glue over the weekend. Almost 20 pounds of crap came out. Each owner had been putting new layers over old. A real mess.

Wayne
Hi Wayne,
Funny thing, this past weekend I was also scraping the floor, mine was mostly the old sound proofing stuff that was soaked in rat urine, and also the headliner seemed to be a place rats liked to go...really nasty. if you look through all the posts on this part of the forum it's only a couple pages, there is a post "New book" seems like a pretty good reference for repair and resto...http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?225391-New-Volvo-Book-The-Old-Lady. I purchased it rom Amazon for my kindle but haven't had a chance to look through it yet.
Would be great to keep in touch,
Paul

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Tony,
I was hoping you were on this forum. Searching through my old computer I found a couple files that you had sent to me before. I just couldn't remember who sent them to me. If we could figure out how to send the rest it would really be great. Thank you for replying,
Paul

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hey Paul,

Shoot me a PM when you're ready. I can send them via email.

Wayne, (flyloandslo), let me know if you want them, too. They are PDFs of the original PV444 service manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, definitely we need to keep in touch. As I mentioned, my floor boards are toast and must be replaced. I can't find any body shops in the area that will even attempt to help (they all want to do late model insurance work)...so it looks as if I will be doing the repair. I'm shopping around now for a welder. I guess the good news is that the replacement metal parts are still available.

My headliner is good. My 444 is equipped with a sunroof, which still works really well. It was apparently installed by a Volvo dealer a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. It's a cool addition. My engine is a rebuilt B-18. Put in around 2002. Runs great. Some of the gauges work, some don't. Brakes are shot. Suspension is shot. The upholstery....beyond awful. All in all , probably typical of a '58 model of any make.

Stay in touch.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You guys should both have all the documents I have for the 444.

ENJOY!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts