SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
All the old VS threads make it look way worse than it actually is because people were swapping in stuff from P1s and AWD cars. If you're using all FWD P80 parts, it bolts up pretty politely.
For sure. That's half the reason I ditched the idea of going back to AWD. It was too much guessing/custom work/etc simply to make my car more "proper". I'm the first guy to dig into something way deeper than I need to, but as time goes on I almost feel less ambitious. I see threads like that and don't feel like doing the work... I'm almost embarrassed to admit it to myself. Maybe I'm just getting smarter about prioritizing different projects... I'm still very much interested in dropping the M50 sitting in my garage into my E30!
I reassure myself with the fact that once you tear into something, it's way easier than it looks in the planning stages. I try to be a planner, but I find it much easier and, believe it or not, less stressful to just figure things out as I go. I WILL eventually swap an LS based V8 into my 240, and I WILL swap the delta link into my V70R!

Reactions: 855RI

·
Registered
738 Posts
All the old VS threads make it look way worse than it actually is because people were swapping in stuff from P1s and AWD cars. If you're using all FWD P80 parts, it bolts up pretty politely.
I can honestly say that I may have looked at maybe 2 or 3 VS threads in my entirety of Volvo ownership and Forum membership. I guess you can say that I have been a SS snob.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm really surprised there hasn't been more interest. That's gotta be one of the lowest mileage R's around

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm really surprised there hasn't been more interest. That's gotta be one of the lowest mileage R's around
I don’t think mileage means much to folks these days

·
Registered
738 Posts
I decided it was too much of a hassle to get this thing the 100+ miles it is back home in non working order, so the ok has been given to get it up and running.

I’m also calling the shop daily to get status updates since it’s been there since December and this ordeal will not last a whole year. I don’t like playing the annoying card, but I will if it delivers results.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
So, 3 pedals?

·
Registered
738 Posts
So, 3 pedals?
Not unless you’re signing up to source the M56, shifter, cables, pedals, rack, and delta link to do it... if I am honest, might be cheaper and quicker at the rate we’re currently going

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
Not unless you’re signing up to source the M56, shifter, cables, pedals, rack, and delta link to do it... if I am honest, might be cheaper and quicker at the rate we’re currently going
That sounds like a challenge. Hmmm do I accept?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
That sounds like a challenge. Hmmm do I accept?
You can handle it!

I know someone who probably has all of those parts... the question is will he be willing to let them go? Probably not!

·
Registered
738 Posts
You can handle it!

I know someone who probably has all of those parts... the question is will he be willing to let them go? Probably not!
everyone has a price

·
Registered
1,588 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Ugh. your thread has been such an emotional rollercoaster. are you getting the trans rebuilt? or? Cause mine has a clunky 2nd-3rd when cold and it's sorta scary.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Ugh. your thread has been such an emotional rollercoaster. are you getting the trans rebuilt? or? Cause mine has a clunky 2nd-3rd when cold and it's sorta scary.
Muahahahaha, that’s by design!

But seriously, it has been an emotional roller coaster. I dropped a car of in December thinking it needed a valve body and now it’s May and it might be getting a trans swap?

I had to chose between trans replacement (new), or trans rebuild. Currently sitting at rebuild. Then it was either rip the current one out and rebuild or take one off the shelf and rebuild in the hopes that it would cut down the labor hours. I went with off the shelf rebuild, but now the shop it was going to go to isn’t returning Ben’s calls. So we might need to explore other options.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Muahahahaha, that’s by design!

But seriously, it has been an emotional roller coaster. I dropped a car of in December thinking it needed a valve body and now it’s May and it might be getting a trans swap?

I had to chose between trans replacement (new), or trans rebuild. Currently sitting at rebuild. Then it was either rip the current one out and rebuild or take one off the shelf and rebuild in the hopes that it would cut down the labor hours. I went with off the shelf rebuild, but now the shop it was going to go to isn’t returning Ben’s calls. So we might need to explore other options.
was AAMCO not an option? (sorry I had to interject with a ludicrous statement to bring levity.) We're all rooting for you, and for this car.

·
Registered
738 Posts
was AAMCO not an option? (sorry I had to interject with a ludicrous statement to bring levity.) We're all rooting for you, and for this car.
Lol @ AAMCO, the place where transmissions go to die. Appreciate the support too. I am a strong supporter of saving cars when it is worth it, and while I may still want to chuck this one off a cliff, it's probably worth it to keep it a bit linger and get some use out of all the new parts I put in it.

I have been doing a lot of research to see what I might want to do. I was trying to keep it to a reasonable budget considering I already have a $1500 bill. So far I have looked at possible donor cars for M56 swap and found none, I then looked for M56 swap parts piecemeal, found some but it was getting complicated. I also looked into M66 swap parts, which I know we all have our own opinions on, but it is an option. I did find a potential M66 trans with lower miles and an optional lifetime warranty for $700. Not cheap, but warrantied. Can get it for $500 with a 6 month warranty. Finally I looked into off the shelf rebuilt AW55-50SN options, which those come in around $3k before install, but again warrantied.

I am not sure what would be the most cost effective option, but seeing as I am spending a decent amount of money no matter how I look at it, it think it is worthwhile to seriously consider all possibilities. Manual swap would definitely be more fun, and potentially keep me interested in this car for longer as I have been itching to get back into a car with a manual trans.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The M66 swap is worthwhile to keep the originality, if that matters to a potential buyer when it comes time to sell. Hell, if the car is really nice all around, it would even be a good BaT candidate with the mileage.
There are great threads on Volvospeed documenting various parts you'll need for that swap, and it is in capable hands with Ben. Depending on which M66 you have, it may be the only thing you need from that car. The pedals will of course need to be from a P80, as well as the shifter and cables (if it's an M66C from a P2, P1 M66 needs P1 shifter & cables). Then you would need to fabricate a bracket for the side mount, find the correct axles, and all the other stuff.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hell, if the car is really nice all around, it would even be a good BaT candidate with the mileage.
Those who have seen it can attest to the fact that the car is not mint. It has a lot of paint issues. It was parked outside in southern Florida for most of it's life and the sun was not kind. I am a master of the 20ft photo to make it look a lot cleaner than it is. The only thing going for it is is the low mileage and two-tone seats which are pretty clean. Other than that, it's a silver 2000 R, which I know of at least 3 or 4 for sale currently. Most, if not all, of those are drivable too!

There are great threads on Volvospeed documenting various parts you'll need for that swap, and it is in capable hands with Ben. Depending on which M66 you have, it may be the only thing you need from that car. The pedals will of course need to be from a P80, as well as the shifter and cables (if it's an M66C from a P2, P1 M66 needs P1 shifter & cables). Then you would need to fabricate a bracket for the side mount, find the correct axles, and all the other stuff.
As far a the swap goes, I have read or at least glanced through most of the threads on the subject by now. I know the whole M56 vs. M66 argument, so we don't need to have that here. I like the idea of the true M56 swap, but more parts are needed or a donor car and a suitable one is kind of hard to come by. In a funny twist of fate I saw an S40 AWD M66 for sale for parts in Jan/Feb and never made a move on it. Then when I was searching yesterday, I found the car in a junkyard not too far away. So the M66 is a P1 and I think the car is complete so the shifter/cables would be there as well. Would need to find the pedals, the axles, etc.. I think the hardest part would be the bracket, which it seems was readily available at one time but has gone into obscurity. I tried to find who might have the design for the bracket, but that was really a dead end. So if anyone has info, feel free to PM with it.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
Those who have seen it can attest to the fact that the car is not mint. It has a lot of paint issues. It was parked outside in southern Florida for most of it's life and the sun was not kind. I am a master of the 20ft photo to make it look a lot cleaner than it is. The only thing going for it is is the low mileage and two-tone seats which are pretty clean. Other than that, it's a silver 2000 R, which I know of at least 3 or 4 for sale currently. Most, if not all, of those are drivable too!

As far a the swap goes, I have read or at least glanced through most of the threads on the subject by now. I know the whole M56 vs. M66 argument, so we don't need to have that here. I like the idea of the true M56 swap, but more parts are needed or a donor car and a suitable one is kind of hard to come by. In a funny twist of fate I saw an S40 AWD M66 for sale for parts in Jan/Feb and never made a move on it. Then when I was searching yesterday, I found the car in a junkyard not too far away. So the M66 is a P1 and I think the car is complete so the shifter/cables would be there as well. Would need to find the pedals, the axles, etc.. I think the hardest part would be the bracket, which it seems was readily available at one time but has gone into obscurity. I tried to find who might have the design for the bracket, but that was really a dead end. So if anyone has info, feel free to PM with it.
I know who makes the brackets, or made. M66W and Cs on shelfs readily available as well

Reactions: 855RI
281 - 300 of 300 Posts