SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

241 - 260 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The worst is trying to explain stuff that's second nature to us. Like my last friend I taught to drive manual had zero existing theoretical understanding what the clutch does and I was forgetting to explain major pieces of what is going on. It took a few minutes before I even realized how badly I was failing as a teacher, although we were eventually cruising around the parking lot successfully.
Well then you're better than you thought! I'm the same though, I have to backtrack and remind myself that not everyone has the same basic understanding for these things. I'm not a great teacher.

But at least your unlikely to say something incorrect. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been sitting there getting the “this is how to you tell up from down” speech and I hear things that are flat out wrong.

On the other hand, there have been plenty of times where I am listening and I’m completely lost because I have little to no knowledge base to work from in that particular area of vehicle mechanics.
The big problem with dealers especially are the service advisors. So many of those guys barely have an understanding for mechanical stuff as it is, then they try to explain it to customers who may or may not understand, and information gets jumbled pretty quickly. My brother and one of my cousins both work at dealers and deal with this stuff all the time. Service advisors get to take the heat from both angry customers and frustrated techs!

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I pick and chose what I do based on time, resources, and level of knowledge. I’m not incapable of working on the car, and I could probably work my way through some of the fixes, but I simply choose not to. With a trans swap, I know my limits, and I waive the white flag.

It also helps having another car that I just bring to the dealer, get my loaner, and pick up at the end of the day all ‘fixed’. It barely needs fixing, but that’s pretty convenient when it does. And when they try and explain things to me like I’m a moron, I just smile and nod. Can’t blame them though, 90% of the customers in the dealership are beyond oblivious.
Definitely agree with this. Pick your battles. I've been leaning towards dealership doing work on stuff that I want to have covered by lifetime. Well, before COVID-19 put a hamper on my funds. Now, I have more time than money, LOL.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
The worst is trying to explain stuff that's second nature to us. Like my last friend I taught to drive manual had zero existing theoretical understanding what the clutch does and I was forgetting to explain major pieces of what is going on. It took a few minutes before I even realized how badly I was failing as a teacher, although we were eventually cruising around the parking lot successfully.
I learned to drive stick at 16 with no understanding of how the clutch and related parts interact. It was a "feels" experience for sure.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I taught myself to drive manual based on the knowledge of how it worked... got it pretty quickly as a result. Most people learn by feel, but it really helps to know what's happening as you're releasing that pedal!

Reactions: JaredR

·
Registered
16,548 Posts
I taught myself to drive manual based on the knowledge of how it worked... got it pretty quickly as a result. Most people learn by feel, but it really helps to know what's happening as you're releasing that pedal!
That was the case with the first person I taught. He stalled 0 times.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I learned to drive a stick on a really sh*tty Geo Tracker... yeah one of those, bet most people have no idea what it looks like. Trust me, it was junk!! It was hard to learn just by feel and I never quite got it right. Clutch was all or nothing, with a tiny little microscopic area of engagement.
Then I drove a family members 400k mi Civic and it felt like I was just aiming for a gear and hoping for the best. I stalled on a hill in front of a snow plow and vowed never to drive a stick again.
A few years later I was asked by a friend to teach them how drive stick, this time on a 240 wagon. It was super easy, so I got my confidence back. I went out and purchased a VW Jetta with a stick and had a blast for about a year and a half until it was totaled in a 4 car pileup. Definitely miss that car on occasion.
To this day, that 1989 240 wagon remains the only Volvo I have ever driven with a manual trans. I have driven many other cars with a manual though, and it’s quite fun.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I wish the shifter in my V70R felt better... it's awful. Even with delrin bushings on the housing, stainless cable bushings, and a Snabb short throw, it still feels like I'm mixing frozen pudding. Especially when it's cold out... my car hates 1st and 2nd gear in anything under 40 degrees until it's up to temp. Even so, it's not thrilled.
Fun to drive, but this car has been getting on my nerves. Is it just mine, or do these all like to practically steer on their own on an even slightly uneven road? I have to fight the car so hard to keep it straight, plus the torque steer just makes it that much harder. Even my GLT wasn't this bad. I think it's got something to do with my rack that leaks so badly. The car is just unbearable to drive in the rain. The steering pulling every which way combined with the torque steer (if it was actually quick, I wouldn't mind so much, but it's not...) makes it downright scary at times.

Ahh, a Geo Tracker... I can't lie, I wouldn't mind one to play with. One day when I have the property to store cars that I don't want anybody to have to look at!

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
I think you need a proper alignment, a LSD and a rear awd subframe delete.

Reactions: 855RI

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I think you need a proper alignment, a LSD and a rear awd subframe delete.
Agreed. I want to love this car again, but it’s getting reaaaaaally hard. My cousin did the alignment the last time, and I think he did a terrible job.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wish the shifter in my V70R felt better... it's awful. Even with delrin bushings on the housing, stainless cable bushings, and a Snabb short throw, it still feels like I'm mixing frozen pudding. Especially when it's cold out... my car hates 1st and 2nd gear in anything under 40 degrees until it's up to temp. Even so, it's not thrilled.
Fun to drive, but this car has been getting on my nerves. Is it just mine, or do these all like to practically steer on their own on an even slightly uneven road? I have to fight the car so hard to keep it straight, plus the torque steer just makes it that much harder.
I don't know your car or anything about that transmission, but I know it's common among German cars to cure that type of problem with Redline fluid; I believe they attribute it to the syncro metal properties + lube interaction. You may know that of course. Redline says this is the correct fluid for your car:

Have you done anything to your subframe bushings wrt the steering problem? That was the source of mine on a bad 2004 XC70.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I don't know your car or anything about that transmission, but I know it's common among German cars to cure that type of problem with Redline fluid; I believe they attribute it to the syncro metal properties + lube interaction. You may know that of course. Redline says this is the correct fluid for your car:

Have you done anything to your subframe bushings wrt the steering problem? That was the source of mine on a bad 2004 XC70.
I was planning on switching to Redline MTL actually, I just haven‘t gotten around to it with all of my other projects going on.
As far as subframe bushings, I’m sure they’re bad. I put the iPd poly inserts in there when I did the manual swap, but I have delrin bushings waiting to go in when I do the rack. It also creaks quite a bit at full lock, so I’m sure that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Fun to drive, but this car has been getting on my nerves. Is it just mine, or do these all like to practically steer on their own on an even slightly uneven road? I have to fight the car so hard to keep it straight, plus the torque steer just makes it that much harder. Even my GLT wasn't this bad. I think it's got something to do with my rack that leaks so badly. The car is just unbearable to drive in the rain. The steering pulling every which way combined with the torque steer (if it was actually quick, I wouldn't mind so much, but it's not...) makes it downright scary at times.

Ahh, a Geo Tracker... I can't lie, I wouldn't mind one to play with. One day when I have the property to store cars that I don't want anybody to have to look at!
Ah yes, I can relate with the frustration for sure. Hopefully you can get it all sorted at some point.

And yeah, a Tracker. My mom, yes MOM, decided to have a midlife crisis and buy a “convertible”... then she showed up with a white Tracker with a baby blue top, baby blue wheels, and pink lettering on the side. I sh*t you not. Talk about embarrassing! I used to make her drop me off far away from school, friends houses, everywhere. Then came the ultimate shame, I had to learn to drive in that POS, because I wasn’t allowed to drive the “newer” cars.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Ah yes, I can relate with the frustration for sure. Hopefully you can get it all sorted at some point.

And yeah, a Tracker. My mom, yes MOM, decided to have a midlife crisis and buy a “convertible”... then she showed up with a white Tracker with a baby blue top, baby blue wheels, and pink lettering on the side. I sh*t you not. Talk about embarrassing! I used to make her drop me off far away from school, friends houses, everywhere. Then came the ultimate shame, I had to learn to drive in that POS, because I wasn’t allowed to drive the “newer” cars.
Oh man, that’s too funny. I’d be embarrassed to be seen in that thing too!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was planning on switching to Redline MTL actually, I just haven‘t gotten around to it with all of my other projects going on.
Another option could be to add some of this to your existing lube:

I use it in diffs, t-cases, etc. I also use their products in engines, at's, and ps systems. What it has in common w/Redline is it is a Group V ester-based oil. Esters, unlike about all other lubes dino or synthetic, is highly polar so it will really cling to metal surfaces instead of running off. I think that's the issue with the alloy in the syncros that causes this problem.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Another option could be to add some of this to your existing lube:

I use it in diffs, t-cases, etc. I also use their products in engines, at's, and ps systems. What it has in common w/Redline is it is a Group V ester-based oil. Esters, unlike about all other lubes dino or synthetic, is highly polar so it will really cling to metal surfaces instead of running off. I think that's the issue with the alloy in the syncros that causes this problem.
That could be a good option as well. Either one is worth trying, I need to fix the shift quality in this car. Hopefully this is the last nasty rainy day for a while, so the sun will come back, it'll warm up, and I'll be motivated to actually get something done on this car. Well, aside from topping off all the fluids it's burned/leaked in the past week of driving.... 😂

·
Registered
738 Posts
Guess I’m due for an update. Car is still inoperable. The new vb is not working properly so they are sending a new one. Then repeat the process again and hope for a better outcome. If not, well idk, more drastic measures will be taken I guess.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Man, that blows. Hopefully this VB was just a fluke and the new one will get it up and running.

·
Registered
738 Posts
At this point I sound like a broken record, playing to an empty room... still at the shop, still broken, still waiting on parts.

·
Registered
16,548 Posts
Where's the "Dislike" button?
Mark Zuckerberg didn't think it would be good for content consumption so we left that out of the web 3.0 or whatever version we're at

241 - 260 of 300 Posts