SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

221 - 222 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
15,975 Posts
Contrary to my opinion of the AW55, the AW50-42 is one of the best autos I've driven. I never had the slightest issue with the gearing or shifting qualities of my '98 V70. Only thing I don't love is that slam into reverse they all seem to do, especially when hot. Never been in a P80 that doesn't do that to some extent.
Haven't noticed it at all in the S70 or my dad's T5.

But, yes, I agree, absolutely fantastic trans. I never thought I'd like an automatic until I owned an AW50-42. If I could have that experience as a 5 or 6 speed.......

·
Registered
544 Posts
You guys need some AW50-42 cars......basically not driving my S60 right now since the S70 and T-5R are so much less broken and I'm getting real complacent cruising around everywhere with that automatic......
Have had them, 3 to be exact. Trans is great, I never had issues BUT I was simply saying when the 5 speed auto works, it’s actually a nice trans. We all know that scenario doesn’t happen often.

Haven't noticed it at all in the S70 or my dad's T5.

But, yes, I agree, absolutely fantastic trans. I never thought I'd like an automatic until I owned an AW50-42. If I could have that experience as a 5 or 6 speed.......
I don’t think I ever had that bad of a bump into reverse. The 4sp does pretty well all things considered. Agree though, if same experience in a 5 or 6sp, .

221 - 222 of 222 Posts