SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

221 - 240 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Contrary to my opinion of the AW55, the AW50-42 is one of the best autos I've driven. I never had the slightest issue with the gearing or shifting qualities of my '98 V70. Only thing I don't love is that slam into reverse they all seem to do, especially when hot. Never been in a P80 that doesn't do that to some extent.
Haven't noticed it at all in the S70 or my dad's T5.

But, yes, I agree, absolutely fantastic trans. I never thought I'd like an automatic until I owned an AW50-42. If I could have that experience as a 5 or 6 speed.......

·
Registered
691 Posts
You guys need some AW50-42 cars......basically not driving my S60 right now since the S70 and T-5R are so much less broken and I'm getting real complacent cruising around everywhere with that automatic......
Have had them, 3 to be exact. Trans is great, I never had issues BUT I was simply saying when the 5 speed auto works, it’s actually a nice trans. We all know that scenario doesn’t happen often.

Haven't noticed it at all in the S70 or my dad's T5.

But, yes, I agree, absolutely fantastic trans. I never thought I'd like an automatic until I owned an AW50-42. If I could have that experience as a 5 or 6 speed.......
I don’t think I ever had that bad of a bump into reverse. The 4sp does pretty well all things considered. Agree though, if same experience in a 5 or 6sp, .

·
Registered
691 Posts
Talked to Ben yesterday, new valve body is in, b4 servo cover update is done, trans was flushed and... it's shifting worse than ever. Awaiting further updates.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ugh is right... sounds like an AW55 to me! Interested to see how this unfolds. I was thinking about a valve body swap for my brother's car.

·
Registered
691 Posts
According to Ben "I've never seen this before and I am stumped" - OF COURSE my car would be the oddball

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
According to Ben "I've never seen this before and I am stumped" - OF COURSE my car would be the oddball
2000 Rs seem to have a lot of those types of issues. Ben was stumped while trying to help me with my boost issues over the phone, then eventually Hilton used a different boost management method. We still haven't figured it out.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes yes, the curse of the 2000 R
2000 Rs seem to have a lot of those types of issues. Ben was stumped while trying to help me with my boost issues over the phone, then eventually Hilton used a different boost management method. We still haven't figured it out.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Time for a manual swap. ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Time for a manual swap. ;)
BRB while I set up a Gofundme page and search the dark web for live organ donation. One can only hope I have enough to fund a swap after that.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
It’s not that expensive.

Reactions: bmdubya1198

·
Registered
765 Posts
Is Ben sure he received the correct valvebody, there are early vs late castings

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is Ben sure he received the correct valvebody, there are early vs late castings
Yeah running theory is it might be the wrong valve body, but haven’t got confirmation yet

·
Registered
691 Posts
It’s not that expensive.
Nope, I had maybe $700 into my swap.
Guys, I get parts aren’t expensive. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’m not comfortable doing that myself. I’m stuck paying someone to do it. Labor hours would be expensive.

There’s also very few people who I would trust to do that, so I’d probably be waiting a long time to get it done.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
i honestly can't imagine owning a car if i couldn't work on it myself......sure wouldn't have 3 of them LOL

·
Registered
691 Posts
i honestly can't imagine owning a car if i couldn't work on it myself......sure wouldn't have 3 of them LOL
I pick and chose what I do based on time, resources, and level of knowledge. I’m not incapable of working on the car, and I could probably work my way through some of the fixes, but I simply choose not to. With a trans swap, I know my limits, and I waive the white flag.

It also helps having another car that I just bring to the dealer, get my loaner, and pick up at the end of the day all ‘fixed’. It barely needs fixing, but that’s pretty convenient when it does. And when they try and explain things to me like I’m a moron, I just smile and nod. Can’t blame them though, 90% of the customers in the dealership are beyond oblivious.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
No shame there, it's better than getting into a job and realizing you have no idea where to go from there. Or hacking it up... I'm working on a botched headlight job on a customer car right now. The dope that owned the car before him decided to retrofit HIDs into S60R HIDs. He did some creatively hacked sh*t. Can't stand that kind of crap... especially when I have to clean up the mess!

I also can't stand trying to dumb stuff down to explain to customers... dealing with that right now, trying to reassure them that a brand new fuel pump won't fail like the junkyard one that was in the car, and the reason that it was a junkyard pump was that the whole sending unit had to be replaced. I'm REALLY bad at dumbing stuff down.

·
Registered
691 Posts
But at least your unlikely to say something incorrect. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been sitting there getting the “this is how to you tell up from down” speech and I hear things that are flat out wrong.

On the other hand, there have been plenty of times where I am listening and I’m completely lost because I have little to no knowledge base to work from in that particular area of vehicle mechanics.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
I'm REALLY bad at dumbing stuff down.
The worst is trying to explain stuff that's second nature to us. Like my last friend I taught to drive manual had zero existing theoretical understanding what the clutch does and I was forgetting to explain major pieces of what is going on. It took a few minutes before I even realized how badly I was failing as a teacher, although we were eventually cruising around the parking lot successfully.

221 - 240 of 257 Posts