SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

201 - 220 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,417 Posts
Not saying it will work for everyone, but finding this simple 12-minute back-training video and doing it every day changed my life. No more chiropractors. https://youtu.be/4BOTvaRaDjI

·
Registered
519 Posts
Interesting. Guess it's just not an issue for the way my body is shaped.
I think the concept above still applies: newer car/ less problems, newer body/ less problems

·
Registered
519 Posts
Happy New Year Folks! New year means new update. Over the holiday break I brought the wagon to Ben and I am hoping it will come back good as new. We will see what the diagnostics determine this coming week.

In the meantime I had the headliner and sunroof fixed. The shop managed to break almost all of the trim in the car near the headliner, so I pulled a bunch of trim from a donor car and replaced it all. Now there are only a few pieces causing issues. I also had the tint removed since it was all nasty and peeling, now I can finally see clearly out of the windows. In a mad rush during the good weather last week I replaced the center console, the shifter, shifter bulb, and e-brake boot. Center console area looks much better now. I also fixed the driver door panel since it was coming apart, which was quite the learning experience. The other doors should be a lot easier now that I know what I am doing. I wish I had pics but I did a lot of work on the fly in the cold and pics were an afterthought.

At the end November I also pulled the summer set of Volans off. I had a set of 16" Sats from AndyB sitting around so I had them straightened out and snow tires installed for the winter. When we finally got some snow, it took the car out, and this thing was a beast! There will be some new summer wheels coming in the next few months.

I think that is all that has been done so far. I have a wing that still needs to be installed, and the car still needs some body work. That will also be coming up in the next few months.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Figured I’d add some interesting mileage shots, 20+ years and 80k miles

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
cool

·
Registered
519 Posts
Uh, sarcastic cool?

I know not as cool as other "builds" but this caR needed so much in cosmetics and stage 0 before anything else. Anyway, despite its repeated attempts to break me and drain my wallet, I am trying to get this thing "finished", if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
What is Ben trying to diagnose for you ?
Stupid trans issue... hoping it’s just valve body acting up and not complete trans failure.

Pretty sure I can’t even source another lower mileage auto trans... which would need work anyway to be sure it won’t self implode as well. If it’s bad trans, idk what the plan will be. Not wanting to put a new one in, so maybe a swap would be in order, but also not sure I want to go down that route with it. We’ll see.

Also having CEL issue checked out, could not get that to go away, but if I am honest, I didn’t try that hard.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Good luck on the tranny, hope its something simple. Report back on the CEL cause and fix if Ben gets it sorted.

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
Uh, sarcastic cool?

I know not as cool as other "builds" but this caR needed so much in cosmetics and stage 0 before anything else. Anyway, despite its repeated attempts to break me and drain my wallet, I am trying to get this thing "finished", if there is such a thing.
Lol no not sarcastic

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It's most likely to be the valve body on these transmissions, from what I've seen. If not, M66 time!

Or FWD swap with an M56...

·
Registered
519 Posts
It's most likely to be the valve body on these transmissions, from what I've seen. If not, M66 time!

Or FWD swap with an M56...
Yup, based on what I researched, it seems like the likely culprit. Hoping it’s good to go after it’s replaced. If not, I agree, swap would be in order. Unfortunately I have not enough time, knowledge, or space to do something like that. I also don’t feel like paying an arm and a leg for someone else to do it as I have a stupid amount of money into this caR already. So I’d be pretty much F’d if that is the case.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Well if you decide to go that route, the easiest swap would be the M56. Nothing crazy that needs to be sourced, you just need to swap the rack for a FWD rack and use the FWD rear trans mount. Really depends if you want to keep the AWD though.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well if you decide to go that route, the easiest swap would be the M56. Nothing crazy that needs to be sourced, you just need to swap the rack for a FWD rack and use the FWD rear trans mount. Really depends if you want to keep the AWD though.
I just replaced a bunch of things to get the awd to work, solely for the aspect of it had awd and I wanted it to be awd once again. Don’t need it at all, but would suck to turn around and rip all that out.

I will be honest and say I have zero affection for the awd in this version of P80. I wish I was back in a fwd turbo or R car. Yes I could make this car into just that, but I’m not really inclined to do so at the moment.

·
Registered
197 Posts
agreed...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yup, that's why I ended up going with an M56 in mine. I was tossing around the idea of going to an M66 and restoring the AWD, but it really just doesn't make sense in my case.
I totally get not wanting to undo all the work on the AWD though, it can be a pain to get everything straightened out on these.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yup, that's why I ended up going with an M56 in mine. I was tossing around the idea of going to an M66 and restoring the AWD, but it really just doesn't make sense in my case.
I totally get not wanting to undo all the work on the AWD though, it can be a pain to get everything straightened out on these.
Yup. Maybe smewhere down the line I will grab one of these in an interesting color and ditch the added weight of the awd and swap an M56 in as well. I think it would be a nice combo, basically what the R would have been if it was just a facelift of the 850R with the right trans. I really wish the AW55s worked well because I think the gearing with the 5 speed is great.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yup. Maybe smewhere down the line I will grab one of these in an interesting color and ditch the added weight of the awd and swap an M56 in as well. I think it would be a nice combo, basically what the R would have been if it was just a facelift of the 850R with the right trans. I really wish the AW55s worked well because I think the gearing with the 5 speed is great.
Agreed. It's not a bad trans in my brother's S60, but the shift quality is horrendous. I drove it yesterday for the first time in a while, and as much as I don't like automatics, this is truly the worst auto I've ever driven. I'm sure if I replaced the valve body it would be fine, but for now it's awful. The hangs, flares, and bangs get annoying lol.

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
Agreed. It's not a bad trans in my brother's S60, but the shift quality is horrendous. I drove it yesterday for the first time in a while, and as much as I don't like automatics, this is truly the worst auto I've ever driven. I'm sure if I replaced the valve body it would be fine, but for now it's awful. The hangs, flares, and bangs get annoying lol.
You guys need some AW50-42 cars......basically not driving my S60 right now since the S70 and T-5R are so much less broken and I'm getting real complacent cruising around everywhere with that automatic......

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Contrary to my opinion of the AW55, the AW50-42 is one of the best autos I've driven. I never had the slightest issue with the gearing or shifting qualities of my '98 V70. Only thing I don't love is that slam into reverse they all seem to do, especially when hot. Never been in a P80 that doesn't do that to some extent.

201 - 220 of 222 Posts