SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Right we've built and shredded so many of these cars we could do it blindfolded.

Doesn't help that there is a lot of misinformation out there that you have to do some digging to debunk if you don't have the experience to know off the top of your head that it's fake news.
Yea I’ve forgotten so much about p80s as it’s made room for new knowledge. But that’s the point of the forum and community we all help eachother out. Hence the side conversation ongoing about this right now

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Looking for constructive discussion of the options, links to helpful forum posts (here or elsewhere in the Volvoverse), and any helpful insights that can be shared. FYI - I am doing my own research on this, and Im sure there will be some duplicative sharing, but I appreciate the community input and associated discussion.
Don't do it dude.

The M66 is annoying AF to drive, swapped or otherwise. Limp it til it blows up, get it rebuilt. That's from someone currently dailying a M66 and REALLY hating life.

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Don't do it dude.

The M66 is annoying AF to drive, swapped or otherwise. Limp it til it blows up, get it rebuilt. That's from someone currently dailying a M66 and REALLY hating life.
Wut? What’s the issue(s) you’ve observed?

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
I love dailying my M66. No shortage of automatic options at my house and my S60 is hands down the car I want to take on a traffic jam with.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Right we've built and shredded so many of these cars we could do it blindfolded.

Doesn't help that there is a lot of misinformation out there that you have to do some digging to debunk if you don't have the experience to know off the top of your head that it's fake news.
There is literally too much info out there now, and when you do not have the fake news filter built in, it gets annoying fast

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yea I’ve forgotten so much about p80s as it’s made room for new knowledge. But that’s the point of the forum and community we all help eachother out. Hence the side conversation ongoing about this right now
Side convos galore haha, but always a wealth of knowledge and much appreciated. Never any bs when it comes to Will.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I love dailying my M66. No shortage of automatic options at my house and my S60 is hands down the car I want to take on a traffic jam with.
Psh liar aren’t you WFH right now?

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
Psh liar aren’t you WFH right now?
Yes but that doesn't change my opinion of which car I would want to take on Boston rush hour in if I needed to.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes but that doesn't change my opinion of which car I would want to take on Boston rush hour in if I needed to.
He wants to take the newest car into the city during rush hour... hmmm

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
He wants to take the newest car into the city during rush hour... hmmm
No. Car with the lightest clutch and perfect around town gearing.

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
Yes to all of the above actually.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
No. Car with the lightest clutch and perfect around town gearing.
That'd STILL not be the volvo (at least in my fleet). Today I took the Miata cause I couldn't take the M66 + p2r seats anymore just after a few days. It was making my sciatica flare up badly.

Anywho OP, the p80r w/ the clunky slush is still very tasty. I prefer it/mine over the M66 any day, traffic or otherwise. If you want a wagon, get a 300TD and do the 240D swap. Then sell it to me

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That'd STILL not be the volvo (at least in my fleet). Today I took the Miata cause I couldn't take the M66 + p2r seats anymore just after a few days. It was making my sciatica flare up badly.

Anywho OP, the p80r w/ the clunky slush is still very tasty. I prefer it/mine over the M66 any day, traffic or otherwise. If you want a wagon, get a 300TD and do the 240D swap. Then sell it to me
Clutch unrelated, I had that issue for years until I found a chiropractor I went to for about a year and bought custom insoles. Worth every penny to be able to wake up , no pain, and stand up/sit down properly.
Actually it hasn’t been an issue since a break up a few years ago, maybe she had something to do with it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,925 Posts

We should compare force required to disengage our M66 clutches. I twitch my toe and the pedal is down.

That said, the pedal in my 850R does require more force, and those cars have identical clutches, but I think that is probably the master cylinder.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Drove an NA Miata once and was genuinely impressed, but felt like I was 3 sizes too big for it. Could never be comfortable in there. Only other car like that is my friends E-type. I'd be uncomfortable in one of those any day of the week. That said, the only manual Volvos I've driven have been 240 5sp, na 850 5sp, na V70 5sp, and V70 T5 5sp. All P80's except for 1, and all 5sp, so no experience with the P1 or P2 and 6sp.

I honestly had planned to swap this car at some point, but was hoping to get more out of the auto than 1yr and 3k miles. That is the only reason I am researching this now. Every Volvo I have had or have currently has been an auto, sticking with the slushbox is no big deal. Replacing the VB, B4 servo cover, and fluid has always been an option, but figured I would sub that out since that's over my head. When you add in the price for that, one begins to wonder if it would be more worthwhile to pursue the swap sooner.

·
Registered
15,925 Posts
well your AW55 experience definitely isn't going to get cheaper as time goes on.....

·
Registered
519 Posts
well your AW55 experience definitely isn't going to get cheaper as time goes on.....
Exactly, we all know how fragile this trans is and at 20 years old, it's not getting any better.

Found a shop locally that does VB replacements, which is a good sign as they likely wont push rebuild or new trans on me. Going to pursue that for a bit and see where it gets me. Worst case I still have a car with a sh*t trans that needs to be swapped. I'll just be a little lighter in the pocket.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Clutch unrelated, I had that issue for years until I found a chiropractor I went to for about a year and bought custom insoles. Worth every penny to be able to wake up , no pain, and stand up/sit down properly.
Actually it hasn’t been an issue since a break up a few years ago, maybe she had something to do with it too
lolol, are you saying I need to divorce the baby mama for the sciatica to go away? Dude, I live in a community property state. A divorce lawyer is going to hurt more than even 10 year worth of sciatica, but point well taken. I've also been advised a cortisol shot may help months at a time. I'm just NOT ready for a pain management program yet. i.e. to admit I'm an old(er) fart.

We should compare force required to disengage our M66 clutches. I twitch my toe and the pedal is down.
like Wayne T5 said last month: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...October-2020&p=7710201&viewfull=1#post7710201 It's NOT about the clutch plate spring stiffness. Miata (and for sure the 911) has harder clutch. For Wayne, it's the slop in the shifting, for me it's the f'd up 3-pedal assembly position (clutch pedal too close to brake, too far "right") and the narrowness of the leftside of footwell + postion of dead pedal. For sure, If I had the AW55 I would not hate the car as much.

Anyway, I have to drive the sonic today, and I'm going to take 2 tylenols + get a gel seat padding to see if it stops the pain.

·
Registered
519 Posts
lolol, are you saying I need to divorce the baby mama for the sciatica to go away? Dude, I live in a community property state. A divorce lawyer is going to hurt more than even 10 year worth of sciatica, but point well taken. I've also been advised a cortisol shot may help months at a time. I'm just NOT ready for a pain management program yet. i.e. to admit I'm an old(er) fart.

like Wayne T5 said last month: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...October-2020&p=7710201&viewfull=1#post7710201 It's NOT about the clutch plate spring stiffness. Miata (and for sure the 911) has harder clutch. For Wayne, it's the slop in the shifting, for me it's the f'd up 3-pedal assembly position (clutch pedal too close to brake, too far "right") and the narrowness of the leftside of footwell + postion of dead pedal. For sure, If I had the AW55 I would not hate the car as much.

Anyway, I have to drive the sonic today, and I'm going to take 2 tylenols + get a gel seat padding to see if it stops the pain.
Haha, oh community property, that's a wrench in those plans. Agree with you on pedal placement though, can be annoying after a while.

·
Registered
15,925 Posts

Interesting. Guess it's just not an issue for the way my body is shaped.

181 - 200 of 222 Posts