SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, I get squeaks from everywhere inside the car (I'm thankful they're not coming from the suspension, but it's still annoying).

I live in a country with terrible roads, so it's a bunch of bumps and holes here, therefore I get to hear these noises much more often than others, to name a couple:
- Squeaky rubber door seals (the ones around the door, not those installed on the car chassis) that squeak over every bump I drive over
- Squeaky ceiling in some corners
- Squeaky belt holes in the B pillar
- Squeaky door covers (or whatever are those parts of the door that you use from inside the car called)
- Trembling dashboard & right passenger door cover at higher speeds
- Squeaky passenger seat when it rubs against the plastic at the bottom of the seat
- Squeaky rear seats when the lower part rubs against the upper part
- Squeaky front door checks

I do understand it's a 12 years old car, but it seems like folks at Volvo used some plastic specifically designed to torture drivers' ears.

Are there any obvious fixes to this plastic orchestra that I couldn't find over this forum or do I have to live with it?

Ps: Sorry if there was such a topic created previously, didn't find one, only small issues that didn't seem to get a clear fix.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Use silicon rubber conditioner on the door rubbers, and wax the paintwork on the door sills. That will help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Anything plastics or rubber spray with a dry silicone. 3m makes a good one available on Amazon. Some silicone sprays smell not great, so smell before use. You don`t need to wax the door sills, spray the silicone on them too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I have to spray and leave it dry with the silicone conditioner/spray (and if I do, for how long) or wash it off after that ? Because I tried this spray https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05074-Heavy-Silicone-Lubricant/dp/B000BXKZUG (not advertising, obviously) on the door seals earlier(didn't help too much) and in some places the paint started to come off the plastic elements I didn't wipe after that.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The wet types will have acetone in them and that will can remove paint on plastic and hurt unpainted plastic. This is a good one, just spray were plastic meets plastic and squeaks. You don`t really have to wipe the overspray off, but I do. I`ve used the one you have and it`s too thick for interior stuff. Works great on exterior rubber pieces.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PJED72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The silicone you have is perfect for suspension squeaks caused by rubber.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
+rattling handbrake button
+drivers seat knocking noise
+squieking rear seat backrest latches (that one took me 2 YEARS to nail it down)
+every single plastic part on every single door...

yea, sometimes it does make you wonder "volvo, what the hell..."

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you have a sunroof, the screws that attach the sunroof assembly can get loose from the roof and make a lot of noise. I had a problem where the 3rd brake light had lost its rubber edge and was rattling against the back glass.

My S40 is the most rattle-free 200k mile car I've been in, so I dunno - just take em one at a time and realize that perfection is impossible in this vale of tears...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like silicone lube doesn't really help on those rubber seals. It feels like the doors are too small and they're moving up and down pushing against the rubber seals and make this goddamn noise :|

By the way, a lot of seat/plastic squeaks can be fixed by placing some thin kind of thin fabric in between the two parts that rub.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Ha , that really Good ~ 50 Shades of Squeaks ~

Had to Dive right In , Rattles are Vibrations the Worst ~ I Guess Squeak is just a Vibration @ Different Frequency ~

·
Registered
621 Posts
Looks like silicone lube doesn't really help on those rubber seals. It feels like the doors are too small and they're moving up and down pushing against the rubber seals and make this goddamn noise :|

By the way, a lot of seat/plastic squeaks can be fixed by placing some thin kind of thin fabric in between the two parts that rub.
Then replace the door seals with new ones

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dunno if this applies to you, but I couldn't listen to any song that was recorded within a few miles of a bassdrum without a strong plastic accompaniment from the doors. In my case, the plastic door-handle "surrounds" were the culprit, and some folded up electrical tape shoved in behind them resolved the buzz.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The door handles squeak as well, will probably address them after I fix the "big guys" in this swedish plastic orchestra, so I'd have a more silent ride to find out new quieter squeaks :)

New S40 door seals would still be at least 7 years old rubber and cost a fortune. Going to add a "second layer" of thinner rubber seals on the door edges and wrap every tiny piece of squeaky plastic with some type of fabric tape, hopefully that's going to help at least a bit.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The other option for door seals is to insert foam tubing inside the seals to pad then out a bit and make them fit better

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In case anyone decides to stuff their S40 door seals with foaming - probably not the case. The hole is very small so any significant amount of foam won't fit in, I'm talking less than half of an index finger in diameter (well actually it does fit, it just rips the thinner part of the rubber seal and falls out). Maybe it's just me being asshanded, but getting some thin cheap B or small D shaped rubber seals for 10-20 bucks has a much more significant effect and makes the ride quieter (just don't get something too thick or you'll have to slam the doors really hard or re-position the latches).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts