SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Quick question. I have a 2000 base v70 with the 5 speed automatic transmission.

Latest transmission software, b4 servo cover update and transmission flush was performed at about 76k miles, 2.5 years ago.

I have noticed that intermittently it fails to engage when in drive. (engine just revs followed by a harder 1st gear engagement).

This is pretty rare, but happens after either stopping short (like when someone pulled out right in-front of me, and I had to slam on the brakes) and occasionally after running over largish bumps. Most of the time the transmission is perfect. Every time it has happened it seems to come right after something involving exaggerated G forces.

I wonder if under these dramatic circumstances the transmission is being robbed of fluid until it makes its way back again? Or maybe something else?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ways to fix it short of a transmission rebuild? Should I expect that this transmission is on it's way out, or is this just the way it is with a 20 year old car?

Appreciate any input!

·
Registered
106 Posts
This happened to me in the summer of 2018, when I was looking for a P80 V70R to buy. I was test driving a 601 Red 1999R, with the older 4-speed automatic, and I decided to make a panic stop in a clear area to test the suspension/brakes. When getting back on the gas, the car was in neutral for some reason until like 3-4k RPM, and then dropped into drive, making a terrible clunking sound and shaking the entire car. It sounds to me like you had the same issue with your 5-speed automatic. I unfortunately do not know what the issue is, but it may something wrong with the valve body since your software, B4 update, and fluid is all up to spec.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Unfortunately you're kind of limited with improving the AW55 transmission when it acts a bit rough. Worst case, you don't need a full rebuild, but a new valve body usually cures the issues.
My brother's '03 S60 has similar issues. Overall it drives fine, but occasionally after stopping abruptly it will jerk hard back into gear. It sounds like you also have a delay before that. I believe what you're experiencing (and anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong) is a delay with a function of these transmission where it actually slips into neutral for cruising and while braking to improve efficiency. I don't know if this applies to P80s as well as P2s, but that's my theory.

Anyway, this is possibly related to fluid age/quality/level. The easiest thing to do is change (drain and fill) the fluid and see if that improves things. If it's been 2.5 years since the last fluid change, it's probably due for another. A fluid change always improves the S60 when the trans starts acting up.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately you're kind of limited with improving the AW55 transmission when it acts a bit rough. Worst case, you don't need a full rebuild, but a new valve body usually cures the issues.
My brother's '03 S60 has similar issues. Overall it drives fine, but occasionally after stopping abruptly it will jerk hard back into gear. It sounds like you also have a delay before that. I believe what you're experiencing (and anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong) is a delay with a function of these transmission where it actually slips into neutral for cruising and while braking to improve efficiency. I don't know if this applies to P80s as well as P2s, but that's my theory.

Anyway, this is possibly related to fluid age/quality/level. The easiest thing to do is change (drain and fill) the fluid and see if that improves things. If it's been 2.5 years since the last fluid change, it's probably due for another. A fluid change always improves the S60 when the trans starts acting up.
Interesting. Thanks for that.

As of right now it is a rare occurrence, when I really stomp on the brakes, so I will live with it for now, but I appreciate the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts