SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove our new-to-us 2005 V70R (275k miles!) home from CA to Iowa. Trouble free @ 90mph. I got a sheaf of service records from the previous owner, so I knew most of the usual issues had been resolved. However, the Chassis Service message is illuminated, which I was aware of before I bought the car.

My question is this: Absent a code-reading trip to the dealer, how do I determine exactly which corner has a problem? Both front struts were replaced within the last 2 years, so I expect it's a problem in the rear. Neither rear shock shows leakage, so I'm either replacing the pair or headed to the dealer to get the code deciphered. I DID go to my local Advance Auto, but they weren't able to get a code out of it.

I understand there's a method to delete the 4C, but if I only need one rear shock I can't justify the cost and hassle. This is our winter ski car- we'll take it to Colorado in November with our ski stuff in the roof box, park it, and when we fly to Denver we're all set to go.
This replaces another V70 non-turbo that just didn't have the power to deal with the altitude.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For any Volvo specific system your best bet is using Vida which is the Volvo service software, you also use Dice which is their OBDII code reader/interface.
Many here can point you towards a good version of Dice as there are tons of aftermarket clones, some much better than others.

You then install Vida on either Windows 7 laptop or a virtual machine, and there's a member who sells old ex lease laptops with it pre-installed which is frankly worth it if you don't already have a spare laptop with all the right goodies.
Pretty much every fault you post here will get the same answer - 'what does Vida say' and they're not being flippant, it IS the system the dealerships use and also gives service information on the repair process and part numbers.

Generic OBD code readers are sometimes pretty good at engine codes, but Volvo systems don't show much as they're not strictly OBD codes.

As for the 4C, you are best to see what Vida thinks is missing, and work from that - certainly never throw parts at a problem until you get an idea of what it sees as wrong.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
You might also find someone in your area who is willing to help you out and they may have VIDA already.

·
Registered
91 Posts
All kinds of things can cause the chassis warning code and often it's just a bad electrical connection or a problem with another component. Check all the parts of the system before replacing the struts. You don't need Vida to do that.

Bruce

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try an ohm check on the rear shock electrical connectors they only have 2 pins and should have something like 5 ohms resistance. If one shock has open you found the bad one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just drove our new-to-us 2005 V70R (275k miles!) home from CA to Iowa. Trouble free @ 90mph. I got a sheaf of service records from the previous owner, so I knew most of the usual issues had been resolved. However, the Chassis Service message is illuminated, which I was aware of before I bought the car.

My question is this: Absent a code-reading trip to the dealer, how do I determine exactly which corner has a problem? Both front struts were replaced within the last 2 years, so I expect it's a problem in the rear. Neither rear shock shows leakage, so I'm either replacing the pair or headed to the dealer to get the code deciphered. I DID go to my local Advance Auto, but they weren't able to get a code out of it.

I understand there's a method to delete the 4C, but if I only need one rear shock I can't justify the cost and hassle. This is our winter ski car- we'll take it to Colorado in November with our ski stuff in the roof box, park it, and when we fly to Denver we're all set to go.
This replaces another V70 non-turbo that just didn't have the power to deal with the altitude.
Shoot me a PM telling me what city you live in. We can chat. I have a VIDA/DICE setup.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Pretty much anything can cause that stupid chassis service message to come on. Without Vida, there's no telling what is the actual cause.

·
Registered
269 Posts
From the things I'd been reading, you're more likely to have a shock accelerometer askew from bumping it during other service cause the problem. Or crap floating around in the trunk bumping on the main accelerometer... or soda spills screwing up the yaw sensor in the center console.

I had the light come on once when I started the car and immediately started driving on a bumpy parking lot, I guess the controller didn't like getting funny signals when it was in wake-up mode...

·
Registered
701 Posts
A Chassis Service message can also come up for something as simple as a rear height sensor coming adrift. Happens when the rivet holding it to the subframe dissolves from corrosion or fatigue. Simple fix by either re-riveting or using a sheet metal screw.

Good luck with your new ride.

Cheers,

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts