SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

4C - How it Works

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  T5_awd 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how the 4C system works? I mean, how it works deep down. We all know it probably combines data from ride height sensors, accelerometers, steering position sensors, etc. to adjust the dampening of the shock absorbers in the struts. But how do the shocks work? What makes them different from the average shock you find on another car? How does the car actually change the dampening of the shocks? What is the difference between Comfort and Advanced? Throttle remapping? Different transmission software for each mode (I know the buttons do affect how the tranny kicks down)? Any different steering response (via the speed sensitive steering mechanism)?

#2 ·
Re: 4C - How it Works (vivek9856)

I would be interested to know this as well.

I was under the impression that the only change to the transmission is that in sport or advanced mode it holds gear longer before shifting up. Other than that I have not noticed any difference with regards to faster kickdown.

I find the transmission very laid back in responding to the gas pedal calling for more power in any mode.

#3 ·
Re: 4C - How it Works (napster)

A brief description dated back to S60R, which should be pretty accurate today as well. Basically, it adjusts the stiffness of each shock absorber individually and continuosly, based on pre-set, driving conditions and driver's input (steering wheel, throtlle position and brakes). (from my archive)

"Four-C Technology

The Most Advanced Active Chassis on the Market

Four-C Technology (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) is the command center of the new Volvo S60 R sedan. Considered the world's most advanced active performance chassis, the Four-C helps bring the promise of the Volvo Performance Concept Car (introduced in Paris, 2000) to production reality.

Volvo S60 R delivers the uncompromising road contact of an extreme sports sedan, but it's also capable of providing the comfort essential for a drive with the family. With the versatility to combine both, the S60 R presents performance unmatched on the road today.

The Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept (Four-C)

What differentiates the Volvo Four-C from other chassis concepts is its ability to process enormous amounts of information. Strategically placed sensors on the chassis measure the longitudinal, lateral, and vertical acceleration of the car relative to driving conditions.

There are sensors to measure:

the rotational speed and vertical movement of each wheel

steering wheel deflection and velocity

cornering (yaw rate)

engine torque (calculated)

braking interventions by ABS and DSTC

In much the same manner as the human brain, the sensory information is received and immediately acted upon. The Four-C's sophisticated microprocessor computes the motions of the car to adapt the hardness of the shock absorbers. The result is that the car is always fluid with the surface of the road.

While the S60 R negotiates varying terrain, the shock absorbers are updated with new information 500 times a second. In essence, the system makes adjustments continuously, and instantaneously.

The Four-C is a first in the world of cars. To develop this totally new technology Volvo collaborated with high-tech system developer Öhlins Racing AB and shock absorber manufacturer Monroe (both leaders in their fields).

The computerized electrical system of the Volvo S60 R, known as Multiplex, also sends information to the Four-C system. Under severe braking for instance, the Four-C system receive the braking information a few milliseconds before the brake pads touch the brake disc. By then the Four-C microprocessor has computed how much the braking will cause the front end of the car to dive, and uses this information to set the shock absorbers to maximize control and tire grip.

When the car is accelerating, Four-C receives the corresponding information from the longitudinal acceleration sensor. Similarly, the system passes on information about a sharp deflection of the steering wheel a few milliseconds before the car actually changes direction.

So Four-C can predict what is going to happen, making the pun in its name (foresee) highly appropriate."

#7 ·
Re: 4C - How it Works (cet1st)

Quote, originally posted by cet1st »
Are there any detailed articles on the recalibrated suspension for the 2009 S80/V8?

4C is still the same. But it's possible to choose a lowered sport suspension instead. The sport chassi (+ steering) is really nice! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#8 ·
Re: 4C - How it Works (T5_awd)

Quote, originally posted by T5_awd »

4C is still the same. But it's possible to choose a lowered sport suspension instead. The sport chassi (+ steering) is really nice! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

In the US, they took out 4C for the '09+ models. So I'm assuming they replaced the 4C struts with traditional struts, and just offered the car with a "sport suspension" that offered a lower ride height via the springs - not anything to do with the shock absorbers.

#10 ·
Re: 4C - How it Works (volvosince16)

Well, Volvo did a lot of work on the 4C system in S80's, and I don't believe that any SS members have had any issues with the system so far.

I was on the interstate the other day going about 70 and had the car in Advanced, and was the only car for a few hundred feet and was going in the left most lane, and was coming around a curve when I met a wall of cars and red brake lights. I swerved the car over 5 lanes and took an exit just before the wall of cars, going about 60 MPH, and I really could feel the 4C kicking in! Just a bit after I turned the wheel, I felt the car swaying a bit and it felt like I might loose control, but right after that, the left suspension stiffened up, and the car felt very level and had a good grip of the road the entire time! You don't feel the 4C to that extent on a day to day basis, but when you really need it, its there for ya!

#12 ·
Re: 4C - How it Works (vivek9856)

Quote, originally posted by vivek9856 »
In the US, they took out 4C for the '09+ models. So I'm assuming they replaced the 4C struts with traditional struts, and just offered the car with a "sport suspension" that offered a lower ride height via the springs - not anything to do with the shock absorbers.

That must be the normal suspension.

MY10+ only (facelift) is available with the new sport chassi....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.